BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-08-2018, 02:49 AM   #1
g4gav
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: x3 drive 2.0d

slipping clutch I think......

good morning all,

im back again. I have a 2 ltr diesel auto and my question is , how long does a clutch last in the auto models? my car has covered 124k and I bought it with 112k on clock.
iv owned the car for nearly 2 years now but to me the car doesn't pull like it use too (well to me anyway)
my warranty runs out in June this year who is with the RAC gold, but I'm debating on taking it to BMW and say change it if its possible.

any advice people?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 07:32 AM   #2
Aspen235
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i, 2018 M240i 6mt

Automatics do not have clutches like a manual. You don't need to change them unless the tranny is failing and the car won't move.

Lack of acceleration could be a number of things, best take it to a professional mechanic for an evaluation of the car's performance. Advice over the internet will not get you very far.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 08:31 AM   #3
g4gav
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: x3 drive 2.0d

thank for reply
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 08:35 AM   #4
atarivers
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 xDrive35i M Sport

This is good advice. The mention of a clutch + automatic had me very confused. It's been many moons since my diesel era. I go back to the age of block heaters and glow plug drama. I've read that modern diesels involve more power and much less soot than what I used to own (VW and Mercedes during the 80s and 90s). When questions of power came up, it was generally a matter of injectors needing cleaning or replacement. But, as previously stated, it's best to let a qualified mechanic sort it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspen235 View Post
Automatics do not have clutches like a manual. You don't need to change them unless the tranny is failing and the car won't move.

Lack of acceleration could be a number of things, best take it to a professional mechanic for an evaluation of the car's performance. Advice over the internet will not get you very far.
Appreciate 0