BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-07-2011, 03:08 AM   #1
DCat
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Trunk setup w/out Prem Pkg

From everything I see, the only way to get the storage system for the trunk including the recessed rails/tie downs, and storage box is to order the Premium package which includes this system. I hadn't added this pkg (just ordered the pano roof only) so now trying to figure out exactly what set up you get for the trunk if you don't get the prem pkg...

Any insight would be appreciated. I still have a few days to add, and would like to know how the standard setup is. The one thing I want is to be able to get an inside bike mount, which I was expecting BMW would offer eventually to go in the rail system like they have for the X5. If no rail system without the whole premium pkg, I need to reconsider this.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 06:51 AM   #2
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

My understanding is that the rail system is part of the Storage Package included in the Premium Package. I think it includes the rails, four moveable lash points, a cargo net, a folding box, and the trunk cover thingy that includes the net you can extend to the roof. This model can also be repositioned when the seats are down to move that "net wall" up to just behind the front seats.

With the Storage Package the floor panel can be flipped over so you have one side that's carpeted and another side that's kind of a nonslip rubber surface. Not sure if that's also standard without the rails.

Storage Package might also add little storage nets to the back of the front seats. Someone else should confirm that, though. I don't find those particularly useful.

For me, the Premium Package was worth it. The auto dimming mirrors are a must for me with the heavy traffic commutes here. The rest are creature comfort kind of things for me. I enjoy the moonroof (I don't really open it often, but I like the openness of the glass), I love not having to fumble for a garage door opener or ever hear it rattle in some storage box or run out of batteries, and the lighting system both looks nice and is very handy for finding things in the dark. My Mother-in-Law who's currently visiting comments on the lights each time she gets in the car, both because the ones under the door handles look cool and because the footwell lights helped her get in.
      03-07-2011, 09:34 AM   #3
DCat
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

thanks Nahoa-That was pretty much what I expected and I agree, the premium pkg does add a few other nice touches...I just added it...so much for my initial intent to keep my cost down by adding a few items ala cart..

My final..final.. build is now;
35i Deep Sea blue w/ black nevada interior, brushed alum trim
Prem pkg
sport act pkg
cold weather pkg
309 wheels
Nav
power tailgate
comfort access key
sat radio
Premium stereo

No DHP...I know, I agonized over this, but reality is I'll never likely take this on a track, and although I'm sure it is a big improvement in driving dynamics, I don't expect it to drive 2002 Buick without it! Plus, I had to step away from the "build your own" page at some point!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 09:47 AM   #4
jijioben
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25 X3 35i

I hear you - but if I had to choose I'd give up the Nav and Sat and go for the DHP. I find that I am much more enthused by the Sport setting than the standard non DHP car. That's because the throttle lag vanishes, and that gives more immediacy to the X3. It is in fact the first car with an automatic that feels like having a standard. Just my 2 cents and to each their own, of course.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 06:34 AM   #5
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Premium Package is essential for any BMW. Some 3 Series or 1 Series owners might use the "purist" argument to say that they buy the car for its feel and handling, not for its bells and whistles... but this is an SAV, not a performance oriented car (regardless of what the marketing department tells you). ZPP adds all the features that arguably should be standard in a BMW (and are on many other brands).

Every time I see someone driving a late model BMW and holding a cell phone to their ear, I just shake my head...

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0