BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-07-2019, 07:46 PM   #1
X3MYYZ
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Apple CarPlay- 2017 X3?

Hi folks-

I recently bought a lightly pre-owned X3 with a lot of toys inside.

One thing it didn’t include was CarPlay, and I read online that it can be added via connected drive.

When I registered and provisioned the VIN, the CarPlay option in the connected drive App Store became “unavailable”.

As far as I know I have an “NBT-Evo”. Based on the combined knowledge and expertise of this forum (and the fact that I’m a first time bimmer owner), what are my options and realities regarding car play for my X3?

All feedback appreciated
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 12:11 PM   #2
sbabcock23
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '17 X3

I'm not sure if this has something to do with it or not. Do you have the technology package with the larger screen/display?

You are correct, on my '17 X3, I can purchase Carplay through the connectdrive website for $300.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 05:22 PM   #3
X3MYYZ
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbabcock23 View Post
I'm not sure if this has something to do with it or not. Do you have the technology package with the larger screen/display?

You are correct, on my '17 X3, I can purchase Carplay through the connectdrive website for $300.
Can you help me differentiate large/ small display? Any examples?

How can I determine which I have ?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 05:38 AM   #4
Msportdriver1
Rep
Drives: X3 35d M sport

if unsure on screen size then measure, large screen is 9 inches and will do split screen display.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 01:57 PM   #5
softsign
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3MYYZ View Post
Hi folks-

I recently bought a lightly pre-owned X3 with a lot of toys inside.

One thing it didn’t include was CarPlay, and I read online that it can be added via connected drive.

When I registered and provisioned the VIN, the CarPlay option in the connected drive App Store became “unavailable”.

As far as I know I have an “NBT-Evo”. Based on the combined knowledge and expertise of this forum (and the fact that I’m a first time bimmer owner), what are my options and realities regarding car play for my X3?

All feedback appreciated
I went through this with a 2017 X3 and was able to get CarPlay working.

There are a couple of possible issues that I'm aware of: 1) no navigation pro (609), 2) no wi-fi antenna, and/or 3) early head unit firmware version.

You can get a sense of where you stand on 1) and 2) by checking here. It should tell you if you have the required hardware, or if some sort of hardware retrofit is needed. The Wi-Fi antenna is an easy retrofit, and it's needed because BMW only supports Wireless CarPlay. The other stuff is a bit trickier.

For the head unit firmware, the issue is that BMW didn't start supporting/enabling the CarPlay Preparation option in the X3 until, I think, summer or early fall of 2016. Vehicles manufactured before then are likely loaded with early firmware versions that don't yet support CarPlay.

The firmware can be updated, however. The recommended way to do this is by updating the i-step (integration level) of the vehicle. Your BMW dealer may be willing to do this if you ask nicely, or if you have other bugs that creep up (e.g., Bluetooth disconnects, dropped calls, etc.). If you're new to BMWs, you can think of the i-step as somewhat analogous to a Microsoft Office version. It's really a collection of updates to all the various components in the vehicle, that have been tested and are known to work together.

I went through this with a 2017 that had wireless charging and navigation pro, but was manufactured early in the model year. Once the i-step was updated, the CarPlay preparation opened up in the ConnectedDrive store a few days later and I was able to buy it.

Last edited by softsign; 06-11-2019 at 02:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 04:20 PM   #6
Bossind
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by softsign View Post
I went through this with a 2017 X3 and was able to get CarPlay working.

There are a couple of possible issues that I'm aware of: 1) no navigation pro (609), 2) no wi-fi antenna, and/or 3) early head unit firmware version.

You can get a sense of where you stand on 1) and 2) by checking here. It should tell you if you have the required hardware, or if some sort of hardware retrofit is needed. The Wi-Fi antenna is an easy retrofit, and it's needed because BMW only supports Wireless CarPlay. The other stuff is a bit trickier.

For the head unit firmware, the issue is that BMW didn't start supporting/enabling the CarPlay Preparation option in the X3 until, I think, summer or early fall of 2016. Vehicles manufactured before then are likely loaded with early firmware versions that don't yet support CarPlay.

The firmware can be updated, however. The recommended way to do this is by updating the i-step (integration level) of the vehicle. Your BMW dealer may be willing to do this if you ask nicely, or if you have other bugs that creep up (e.g., Bluetooth disconnects, dropped calls, etc.). If you're new to BMWs, you can think of the i-step as somewhat analogous to a Microsoft Office version. It's really a collection of updates to all the various components in the vehicle, that have been tested and are known to work together.

I went through this with a 2017 that had wireless charging and navigation pro, but was manufactured early in the model year. Once the i-step was updated, the CarPlay preparation opened up in the ConnectedDrive store a few days later and I was able to buy it.
Running into this as well with my 2017, manufactured Nov 2016. Added the wifi antenna and have a newer firmware from 2018 from a service update by the dealer and still no go in the BMW Connect Store. Contacted them and they say "Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting BMW Assist Customer Care.

Vehicle is not eligible for Apple CarPlay."

Even though I gave them all the supporting document that it is, I assume your dealer notified them of the upgrade and they activated it in the store to be available. I've contacted them again on the process but have not received a reply. Frustrating, guess its 3rd party coding for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 04:35 PM   #7
kubax86
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossind View Post
Running into this as well with my 2017, manufactured Nov 2016. Added the wifi antenna and have a newer firmware from 2018 from a service update by the dealer and still no go in the BMW Connect Store. Contacted them and they say "Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting BMW Assist Customer Care.

Vehicle is not eligible for Apple CarPlay."

Even though I gave them all the supporting document that it is, I assume your dealer notified them of the upgrade and they activated it in the store to be available. I've contacted them again on the process but have not received a reply. Frustrating, guess its 3rd party coding for me.
It says that your vehicle is not eligible because it didn't have antenna from factory, although like you mentioned, you need 3rd party coding which will also enable fullscreen (not available from factory).

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 09:58 AM   #8
SPtotheA
Finally got my first BMW and I LOVE it!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 sDrive28i

[QUOTE=softsign;24898685]

You can get a sense of where you stand on 1) and 2) by checking here.

The response I got by clicking the link and entering my VIN says I can add CarPlay functinality by adding the CarPlay MMI - but "click here to go to the product page" link doesn't work. Nevermind - I figured it out.

Sorry - new to BMW ownership and in the learning phase...

Last edited by SPtotheA; 09-14-2021 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: Edited to add resolution
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 01:04 PM   #9
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: drei BMWs

I used this in my BMWs that didnt have the factory option and it was great. It is also native full screen where the BMW is not. The graphic EQ made my stereo sound really nice and I ended up going wired vs wireless with a custom magnetic phone mount.

https: //www. android-car-dvd.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjws4aKBhDPARIsAIWH0JVvPsDxzwzvzskbEIQ _0FPU-cIG4qZ4xKBjMcSqA4P0tWOdeJRGmiIaAvmxEALw_wcB
Sedan
Lots of burbles and POPS
Appreciate 0