BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-12-2015, 04:26 PM   #1
tetten
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 Z4 20i

Steering rack - Variable sports steering

Hi everybody,
The dealer replaced my steering rack due to clunking noise (Well known to the forum I think) - My car has the variable sports steering (2VL) and after the change the sport mode was not working.

After some investigation the dealer thought they had the standard rack (advice from BMW) and changed it again, still same problem.

I definitely think this is a coding problem - Anybody in here with the same problem after change of steering rack?

Regards /Terje
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 09:57 PM   #2
TonyX3driver
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 (2011), X5 F15 (2017)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetten View Post
Hi everybody,
The dealer replaced my steering rack due to clunking noise (Well known to the forum I think) - My car has the variable sports steering (2VL) and after the change the sport mode was not working.

After some investigation the dealer thought they had the standard rack (advice from BMW) and changed it again, still same problem.

I definitely think this is a coding problem - Anybody in here with the same problem after change of steering rack?

Regards /Terje
Hi. Interesting also for me. (I have the same clunking noise, but I did not open this isue with dealer yet)
What you exactly mean "sport mode"?
And how much dealer asking for exchange os the rack?

They don't know what to do?? If you look to OEM, see such big mess, many variants, this is indicating something not good with this part...
http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/F25/Europe/X3_20dX-N47N/L-N/jun2011/browse/steering/steering_electric/[/URL]
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 07:24 AM   #3
tetten
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyX3driver View Post
Hi. Interesting also for me. (I have the same clunking noise, but I did not open this isue with dealer yet)
What you exactly mean "sport mode"?
And how much dealer asking for exchange os the rack?

They don't know what to do?? If you look to OEM, see such big mess, many variants, this is indicating something not good with this part...
http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/F25/Europe/X3_20dX-N47N/L-N/jun2011/browse/steering/steering_electric/[/URL]
The car is under warranty, so it didn't cost me anything. Search the forum for steering rack problems..
Sports mode - Rocker switch left side of the gear lever. Comes with variable sports steering (2VL) or EDC (223) or Dynamic Handling Package in the US I think.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 07:47 AM   #4
TonyX3driver
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 (2011), X5 F15 (2017)

Garage List
Ok, understand i know.
So, as I know there is not direct link between this switch and steering rack.
Function of 2VL si mechaniclal, due to steering rack design.
This button you talking about as I know switching modes: NORMAL/ SPORT/ SPORT+ (as in my car), or ECO-PRO/ NORMAL/ SPORT (as newer cars from 2003)
If this option is not working and worked before, they failed with proper coding after steering rack change.....
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 10:48 AM   #5
tetten
Private
Rep

All I know is that in sports mode there is a significant difference in steering response..
I also read somewhere that 2VL is purely mechanical.
Waiting for the dealer/bmw to decide what to do.
/Terje
Appreciate 0