BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-19-2014, 09:35 PM   #23
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Good luck with your Macan xDrive35i. From what I've read on the forums, it's a hot mess when it comes to problems. Hope you have better luck than you did with your X3's.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 03:35 AM   #24
Rodion
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25)

Let me give some insight of my car. The car is now 2 and ½ years old, closing 60 000km on the clock.

Specifications where the car has been driven:

Near Arctic circle, (Kiutaköngäs), snow, ice and -30 Celsius.

Piran, Slovenia, +38 Celsius.

And everywhere in-between those points.

Daily usage is only 20 km within city, and in winter time the car doesn't warm up in the morning. But at the office in the garage, it warms up. And again in the evening, it freezes outside. Ie. a lot of temperature changes.

I also drove a Polish really bad highway full of "curls" . It felt like driving on a big washing board. It was E36 east from Cottbus, DE.

Here is the streetview.

From the beginning I have had the front-end-clunk, but that has been checked two times in maintenance and they say it is normal. I only here it when driving into our office garage and some other times too. Maybe once a day as a maximum.

Also I had weird "squeek" from the dashboard or A-pillar, but that was fixed in maintencance.

Another odd is the AC compressor sound, but I think it might be just empty of the cooling gas, so that will be fixed in the next maintenance I hope.

Bearing all the shit the car has gone though there is no other rattles or noises with the interior. Not even when driving on ramps in angled way (the car body is screwed). The car and the chassis still feels solid (excl. previous issues I wrote).

A huge different compared to Skoda Octavia I had in same age (60 000km and 2 years old).
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 07:39 AM   #25
Smithy2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d msport Auto

Almost approaching 10000 miles in my X3 and am getting an annoying creaking noise in my right ear, thought it was coming from the b-pillar seat belt housing area but perhaps it could be the front door seal? I also have a creaking noise from the other side as well, its difficult to describe but sounds almost like the rear leather seats are rubbing on something over bumps?

I have also noticed when cleaning the car that the rear drivers side door bottom panel (Msport bodykit skirt) makes a knocking noise when lightly pushed, the other side doesn't and is solid.

Will BMW UK entertain investigating these issues or am I wasting my time? I had a knocking noise on a Freelander 2 from new and it took 3 dealers 8 months to diagnose, turned out to be the body catching on the chassis or something - took a week of keyhole surgery to fix!
      10-20-2014, 07:53 AM   #26
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

We have one of the first US builds and just went over 50k miles. SUV has been absolutely bullet proof. Very quiet and has not had a single issue. We are wanting to move into a new X5d but the reliability of current X3 is making it hard to say good bye too.

I also bought new a 335i MSport in late 2013 and it feels no where near as nice and dare I say it special as my wife's X3.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 08:35 AM   #27
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

Me too.

As soon as the temperature drops the roof starts making noise.

It can be resolved fairly easily by installing a couple of rubber shims but the sunroof has to stay closed for the entire winter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Test View Post
I've had major sunroof issues (replaced but still creaks when cold), and the plastic panel around the AC pops when cold. In warm weather I don't have issues
      10-20-2014, 08:46 AM   #28
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

I have a 2013 35i with about 51k miles on it. I've driven it across the US on multiple occasions and drive it pretty hard. Overall it's been pretty quiet and reliable. I did have a few issues, but to date they've all been resolved or not bad enough to worry me.

Rear tailgate thunk/rattle: This started happening almost immediately after I got home with the vehicle. The dealer readjusted the tailgate, which fixed the problem. A few months later it started up again - I readjusted the tailgate again myself and it's been quiet ever since.

Sunroof rattle: This only happens occasionally, as previously mentioned mostly in cold weather. Sounds like it's coming from the center of the roof, between the pano part and the opening glass. It doesn't happen very often so I haven't looked into it much.

Wind noise: The X3 is noisy on the freeway. Every X3 has been exactly the same, I think it's the size and shape of the mirrors. Haven't driven a '15 to know if it's different. If it is better I might be inclined to purchase the side mirrors from a '15 and swap them out, it's that bad. The good news here is the wind noise is just the same on day one as it is now - so you can drive the vehicle and decide if it's too much for you. If you don't mind the wind noise, then I wouldn't worry about it going forward.
Appreciate 0