BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-11-2012, 09:38 PM   #1
Mark86
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 40i Arctic Gray

Auto Start/Stop Stall

Hey, we picked up our 2013 X3 35i last month and WOW! I have always been a BMW fanatic, but this vehicle continues to impress me more everyday. Unfortunately, I had a scary thing happen on my way to dinner this evening. I was stopped a traffic light and the engine shut down just as it was supposed to. When the light turned green, I heard the engine try to crank but nothing happened. Car shifted into N and a warning popped up on the nav with a bing. Since I was getting honked and at a very busy intersection, I didn't read the entire message. All I saw was something about the auto start/stop system failed and the car stalled. We never experienced this and the car has over 1,000 miles on it. The system has worked flawlessly in the past. While searching around the forums, I noticed that this was a known issue with the 335i and the fix was a software update. Has anybody else experienced a similar problem? If so, what was the fix? Would you bring the car into service or chalk it up to a one-time glitch? Thanks for all the help in advance!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 09:40 PM   #2
Harv_NC
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

I'd just turn it off...the stop/start is terrible...would love to just disconnect it.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 11:52 AM   #3
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

Stop/start works fine for us, around town its really effective.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #4
dnw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 / 2014 520d MS

I would also turn it off permanently if I could. The minuscule real world saving in mpg is more than offset by reduced life of the battery as I'm currently finding out in our original efficient dynamics model 1 series...

This, like ECO PRO mode, is designed only to allow BMW to get away with 'official' mpg and CO2 figures that get more and more detached from the real world.
      05-13-2012, 09:25 AM   #5
joebry
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i

Scary

The start/stop thing scares me every time I stop. It is just a weird feeling for
things to get silent when the motor stops. If I have to do a jack rabbit start to get out into a heavy lane of traffic about 7:30 in the morning, I am not feeling very safe doing it.

I would gladly buy a gallon or two more gas.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 12:19 PM   #6
RSchneider
Private First Class
Austria
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive30d

It's second nature to me now to first press the start button and instantly afterwards to press the auto-start/stop crap button. It's too unresponsive, doesn't sound nice when it cranks up again, and it shakes when it does. Totally useless gimmick. Wish I could permanently disable it, but my service station says it's not that easy.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 04:58 PM   #7
KingX
Unregistered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 M-Sport 35i

I don't find it that bad honestly. I think you have to know when to disable it and when to leave it enabled. If I was in a start stop situations with long stops I would use it. If it was really quick stops then I would disable it. Guess that's why they have a button since life isn't the same always

If in a combination situation then all you do to have it ready to go is to not wait to release the brake only when you go for the gas. If you're at a stop and ease off the brake just a little before fully letting go of it for the gas it's restarts and is ready to go. Try it. Just ease off pushing all the way down as you would, the vehicle restarts and you're still not moving at all then you go for the gas as you would normally.

Also mine restarts instantly ..no shudder ..no noise..can barely hear it. I'm not saying you can't feel a restart ..but it's so quiet and quick it doesn't bother me (keep in mind i'm using a gas powered 35i...maybe other engines don't act exactly the same)

[Black Sapphire/Oyster/Wave Wood: ZPP/ZTP/ZCW/ZCX/ZDH/ZPS/ZMP/6NR]
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 05:49 PM   #8
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

I'm also in the camp of having no problems or issues with the auto stop/start. Once I got use to the reality that it doesn't come on every time (turn of steering wheel, upwards incline, outside temperature, etc), Its been no problem. Restarts every time without issue. I've now got to the point where I don't even bother using any of the tricks to start the engine early (turn the wheel etc) for a quick get away.

However I do agree in order to satisfy more people it would be good if the default position of the auto stop/start could be set via the i-drive for example. Some thing goes for the auto hold - I wish I could have this on by default when starting the car rather than have to put it on every time.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 06:00 AM   #9
BBender
Private
Rep
Drives: X3

By coding you can set the car to remember the previous selection of auto start/stop button.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 02:52 PM   #10
tank531
Deckhand
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0D SE xDrive (Sep 11)

I don't care for the auto start/stop either but what I do find is it has actually made me drive more smoothly up to a stop - beacause I dont want the engine stop. Remember you can control the feature with the brake pedal by easing up to the line.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 01:08 PM   #11
mfear
South Florida Elite
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 335i - Crimson Red/Black

Happened to my wife this morning our our xDrive28 ...not happy about that.

Is there a TSB yet, like there is for the F30 335?

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 02:23 PM   #12
powertech83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebry View Post
The start/stop thing scares me every time I stop. It is just a weird feeling for
things to get silent when the motor stops. If I have to do a jack rabbit start to get out into a heavy lane of traffic about 7:30 in the morning, I am not feeling very safe doing it.

I would gladly buy a gallon or two more gas.
+1. I usually turn off that feature, but sometimes I forgot. Most of first time passengers would think the car has stalled or break down when the feature is activated
I live near the intersection so the distance from my garage to the nearest traffic light is about 20-30m. When I forgot to turn it off, and I stopped at that traffic light, the start/stop system activated
The manual stated that it won't activate until the engine has reached normal working temperature, but my engine was cold (first start of the day) and nowhere near the normal working temperature.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 04:03 PM   #13
snowboardjoe
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i

I've been OK with it after about 600 miles of driving so far. We live in and around downtown Seattle, so stops are pretty frequent for stopped traffic. I thought it would be really annoying, but you soon start to forget it. Usually the car is ready to go between the time I just begin to lift off of the brake and touch the accelerator pedal.

It would be nice if we could tweak some of the settings/conditions that trigger it. It definitely needs a little more tuning to make it more practical, but not a major concern for us right now.
      05-30-2012, 04:15 PM   #14
heverlee
Private
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBender View Post
By coding you can set the car to remember the previous selection of auto start/stop button.
do you mind to elaborate a bit more on how to get this done?

thx
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 09:02 PM   #15
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by heverlee View Post
do you mind to elaborate a bit more on how to get this done?

thx
Once I get my X3 (end of June) I plan on getting all the tools needed to code the vehicle, so if you're in AZ I can do it for you. Shoot me a PM in July and I'll try and get you set up.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 11:08 PM   #16
Mark86
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 40i Arctic Gray

Update: dealer saw the code but couldn't duplicate so no fix as of yet. Of course I was the first one to experience this issue. It seems to have a more difficult time restarting when I use the auto hold. I think it throws off the timing.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 11:15 PM   #17
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

Interesting, let us know how this turns out - I'd be interesting in hearing what they did to fix it. Maybe just a software update?
Appreciate 0