BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-13-2012, 09:54 PM   #1
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i, 2021 X3 M40i

Mudflaps separating from body

I installed the flaps on a Saturday and one of them separated from the body on Sunday. So I went to a dealer collision repair shop right around the corner from me on Monday before work to see if they had any suggestions on how to fix it and to my surprise, they took me right in. 45 minutes later the X3 comes out and the mudlap is looking good. They took it off, cleaned the area with solvent and put new double sided tape on. Well it was ok for a few days but came apart again. I think that the mudflap is deformed and doesn't fit correctly to the body. As a matter of fact, I saw another X3 and it had the same gap on the same wheel. I wonder if it's a design flaw. I took it to the dealer and they said they will replace both rears since the other one is also gapping out too but not as bad. The only one that is staying put is the front right one....for now. Has anyone that put them on themselves had this happen?
Attached Images

Last edited by cadman50; 06-13-2012 at 09:56 PM.. Reason: removed one picture
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 11:37 PM   #2
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

I had mounted the flaps on front sides and both are staying on well.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 07:15 AM   #3
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

We have slight gaps on 2 of our mud flaps as well. I did the install. While low on my to do list, I will eventually try to fix it. I don't think anything is going to bring the flap flush with the body. Tape will work for a couple hours but will eventually pull apart again. I was thinking about putting a few layers of double sided tape to basically fill the gap. It's pretty minor though. The only real fix is to order another set and see if you get lucky with a couple perfectly formed ones.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 07:54 AM   #4
mgoblue62
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 28i

Installed them myself (following the great instructions and pics on this site!).

Fronts are nice and tight. Passenger rear has the biggest gap--just like in your pic.

I tried a heat gun and bending them a bit which helped some but nothing seems to be holding them tight to the bumper molding.

Not high on my list to do, but annoying as everything else on the vehicle looks sharp.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 10:41 AM   #5
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i, 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue62 View Post
Installed them myself (following the great instructions and pics on this site!).

Fronts are nice and tight. Passenger rear has the biggest gap--just like in your pic.

I tried a heat gun and bending them a bit which helped some but nothing seems to be holding them tight to the bumper molding.

Not high on my list to do, but annoying as everything else on the vehicle looks sharp.
That's what the collision shop that fixed mine said they would do. Take it into their heat area and form it to the side. But the dealer said they are going to replace them on the rears and one on the front they will attampt to fix. I was surprised that they said they would do it under warranty since I put them on. They say that those flaps never really stay flush to the body well. I think it's a poor design. The only way to insure it stays is to use glue. They have a strong double sided tape but is thick and the flap wouldn't be flush. But i will say that having them on keeps the sides of the body cleaner.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 03:11 PM   #6
beaminmaryland
Rep
Drives: X3

Mudflaps

I had same issue with dealer installation. They replaced them. They used a 'shim' on one of the rears. All tight and look fine after that.
Appreciate 0