BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-29-2012, 07:18 PM   #1
FX3OK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 28i

DVD Rear Entertainment Installed

Hi Everyone,

After debating between type, model, high end or on the cheap.. I finally purchased this dual 9" screen dvd system. (Philips model PD9012) not to plug it..but for $149 CDN.. i am very pleased. I was also hesitant to buy this type of unit because i didn't want to see wires dangling everywhere.

I must say.. the install went very well (15min) and the wires tuck nicely out of sight into the plastic backing of the seat. I was then able to run the wires underneath the floor mat connecting the two screens. (i have the one that covers the hump). **note.. i found the AV video cord a little short to run down via the floor. Not a problem.. because the video wire can run through the armrest and tucks away very nicely. The unit comes with straps to secure the screens to the headrests.. the straps fit nicely around the posts of the headrests and tighten up nicely to prevent movement.

Overall, very happy how it looks.. for a cheap solution.. i couldn't go wrong... happy kids!! and driver..

disclaimer.. i can not speak to the quality.. as just got the unit.. however, it does come with the auto resume feature..(turn vehicle off to get gas etc..no problem, movie starts where left off :0)

cheers,
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 08:09 PM   #2
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

It looks pretty nice.

Can you give us the wiring diagram showing where did you get the power from and how did you hook up AV connections? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 08:11 PM   #3
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86, F25, G16

Nicely done, good job.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 08:31 PM   #4
FX3OK
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by April1
It looks pretty nice.

Can you give us the wiring diagram showing where did you get the power from and how did you hook up AV connections? Thanks.
All wires come with unit. Power wire goes into power outlet in arm rest. The the power wire comes with two leads feeding each screen.

There is one av wire. Plugs into main screen and you then run it over to second screen. The wire is long enough if you route it through the arm rest. Power wire is the same process.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 09:12 PM   #5
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

I was looking at the specs of PD9012, it needs 9V supply but you get 12V in car and I thought you are using the Car's DVD player to run movies on these screens. But now I understand that you have DVD players on both. If that's the case then why do you connect AV wires together?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 09:57 PM   #6
FX3OK
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by April1
I was looking at the specs of PD9012, it needs 9V supply but you get 12V in car and I thought you are using the Car's DVD player to run movies on these screens. But now I understand that you have DVD players on both. If that's the case then why do you connect AV wires together?
Only one dvd player.. The other is just a screen, one movie plays on both screen. Comes with veh cigarette plug in for power, so no problem there. Also comes with a wall plug.. Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 10:00 PM   #7
FX3OK
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMdblU
Nicely done, good job.
Thanks! Great alternate to spending big bucks on higher end units !
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 02:55 PM   #8
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Noticed any skipping when you go over bumps? Is it easy enough to disconnect, remove and put back? I like the price and the idea but I think I would prefer something where you could leave a connected frame/dock attached and just clip the device in and out without needed to unplug cables and fiddle with straps. I wouldn't want it left in the car as you'll get some dozy scum smashing your window thinking it's an iPad and that they can £50 for it. That said, they'll smash your window if they see a sucker mark on your windscreen under the assumption you have a TomTom in the glove box so any suggestion you have a hidden device in the car is not good.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 03:04 PM   #9
FX3OK
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax
Noticed any skipping when you go over bumps? Is it easy enough to disconnect, remove and put back? I like the price and the idea but I think I would prefer something where you could leave a connected frame/dock attached and just clip the device in and out without needed to unplug cables and fiddle with straps. I wouldn't want it left in the car as you'll get some dozy scum smashing your window thinking it's an iPad and that they can £50 for it. That said, they'll smash your window if they see a sucker mark on your windscreen under the assumption you have a TomTom in the glove box so any suggestion you have a hidden device in the car is not good.
Easy to remove. Two plug in wires in each screen and a simple push of the strap buckle...off they come. No skipping so far. I also checked out www.nextbase.co.uk . They have nice brackets but pricey i found.
Appreciate 0