BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #1
faztaz
08 X3 6spd
Rep
Drives: 13 X3 35i MSport

Ready to bite the bullet a couple questions first.

Going to go ahead and place my order on a fully loaded X3 35i

A couple of questions first
What is the best deal people are getting nowadays on their vehicles?
Dealer offered $500 above invoice
Anyone have an invoice price list on the 2013 35i base and options?

Options I'm planning on getting
M-tec
Tech Package
Cold Weather I and II
Dynamic Handling (Is this worth it if I'm already getting the M)
Driver Assist
Premium Sound (Is the upgrade worth it?)
Tow Package (how much are dealers charging for this, should I just install it after the fact).

Any of these I should delete or add?

Does BMW offer individual / custom colors on their X3s? Dealer informed me that this isn't an option. If not I was planning on ordering Chestnut/Mohave Interior with a White or Carbon Black exterior. I'm also toying with the idea of having the car wrapped in a Matt Black/Grey exterior wrap.

Has anyone had the clearbra installed by the dealer? Is this done at the factory at the dealer themselves. The reason I ask is because I was contemplating picking it up at the factory but I want it wrapped or clearbra'd before by drive up north.

Has anyone installed a passsport 9500ci in their car? I love my V1 but its protection against radar is non-existant.

Any news on the changes for 2014 or is it too premature? I'm assuming the new X5 will be phenomenal on the inside but I really want a sport handling SUV and don't think the larger X5 will be up to task (unless I go for a M...$$)

Mods that are planned for the car
More agressive summer rims/tires (what is the widest people have been able to fit)
Winter Tires on the stock 19s (what is the smaller rim that will fit on an X3 18"??)
Quad Tailpipe (has anyone been able to find a dealer in the US? Hamann?)
Performance Chip (so far all I have seen is an additional 55hp and ~100 torque)
Matte Wrap
European headlights
Passport Radar/Laser protection
Yakima Big Daddy Bike Rack
Suspension Upgrades (would be nice to have an adjustable for summer/winter driving conditions)

I have an 08 X3 with a 6 speed manual. I love the car but its just too slow when compared to whats out there, not to mention the outdated interior and electronics. Unfortunately there is no X3M (so I'll have to try an make a psuedo one, and there is no manual offering on any SAV/SUV from BMW/Audi)
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 02:11 PM   #2
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

Dynamic Handling will give you the best of both worlds, a complaint ride or firm sport suspension. It is worth the price of admission IMHO.

I had the dealer install clear bra on my AW car and can notice a very slight yellow tint. It ain't perfect but definitely better than chipped paint.
      07-05-2012, 03:52 PM   #3
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

I haven't reviewed 2013 packages, but if not included...Xenon headlights. On some of those dark New Jersey roads, you won't regret it.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 05:37 PM   #4
thrasher-b
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2012 BMW X3 28i  [0.00]
Should be able to get invoice pricing from Edmunds:
http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/x3/2013/o...tyle=200420854

Make sure you get the MSRP to match the price you get with the build-your-own page on the BMW site - Edmunds will sometimes double count items that are included in packages. I paid $200 over invoice for my '12, but several dealers in my area were not willing to sell it to me at that price, so I don't think $500 over is terrible.

I would highly recommend carbon black. Make sure you see it in person - you may not want to do a matte wrap after you see carbon black - pictures do not do it justice.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 09:50 AM   #5
Leighton
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

The 35i, with its larger rotors, will accept 18-20" wheels as long as you choose the offset and width of the larger diameters correctly. Wanting to stay with 19" runflats while avoiding a staggered configuration with which the MY2011 X3 sport versions were equipped, I was not happy with the only three same size models, Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT DSST, Continental ContiSportContact 3 SSR, and Pirelli P Zero RunFlat, with the least dislike for the Dunlops. I plan to use the original Goodyear Eagle LS-2 all-seasons on their Style 309 wheels as winter tires which were fine last winter in NYC even during and after the one big snowstorm and should be okay in NJ also. Because I believe that the important dimension of a winter tire is tread width, not diameter, I would prefer a 215 or 225mm width but can live with the extra 20mm of the stock 245mm. In searching for higher performance test and survey scores of summer tires, I liked the tests and comments on the ContiSportContact 5P as an aggressive summer tire designed to compete directly with the Michelin Pilot Super Sport which is not available as a runflat. Because Continental has discontinued the 255/40R19, I settled for 255/35R19, SSR version, an XL load model that is OEM for some M-B models. The extra 44 revs per mile will yield a 6% speedometer and odometer error. I ordered them from Tire Rack on ASA GT5 19x9 black wheels on closeout at $109/wheel monitored, mounted, balanced, and shipped to a TR-authorized installer where they arrived late Monday. I stopped there after work on Tuesday to inspect and arrange an early Wednesday morning installation because the shop was open for the holiday. However, the inspection yielded two wheels with damage from TR's mounting process, causing me to change the schedule. TR shipped two replacement sets yesterday for arrival next Tuesday so I am planning an early next Wednesday installation. Because the handling of DHP-equipped X3 35i is so sedanlike despite the higher center of gravity, I anticipate good results. I will comment further after break-in. Without the runflat constraint, the choice of performance summer tires is much wider. In any case, be sure that the load rating of your choice will enable the rear pair to deliver at least 110% of the specified rear axle 2,833lb gross load.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 12:20 PM   #6
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

I believe all x3's have the same suspension and brake sizes.