BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-01-2012, 05:15 PM   #1
jeschiotz
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Inner headlights

On a X3 with xenon headlights;are the two inner lights just fakes except for the LED rings?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 06:25 PM   #2
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Yes. The outer headlights are the only two functional ones. High/low beam on the Xenons is controlled with a shutter. Switch back and forth from low to high beams when you're at a stop and you should hear it.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 09:56 PM   #3
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

They may be FTP (flash to pass) lights. What happens if the headlights are turned off and you pull the stock? It should be a halogen bulb in there so it doesn't have to try to fire up the Xenons when you flash somebody.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 10:52 PM   #4
sodermalm
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturnZero View Post
They may be FTP (flash to pass) lights. What happens if the headlights are turned off and you pull the stock? It should be a halogen bulb in there so it doesn't have to try to fire up the Xenons when you flash somebody.
You're correct that this is the way it should be, in my opinion, and it has been this way in every BMW I've ever driven–a halogen bulb in the headlight assembly is used for flash to pass if the car is equipped with HID headlamps. The new X3's don't have this halogen bulb, though. When I look into the innermost light housing on my X3 there is no bulb, but there is some wiring. Maybe this means the halogen bulb is included in some markets?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #5
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodermalm View Post
You're correct that this is the way it should be, in my opinion, and it has been this way in every BMW I've ever driven–a halogen bulb in the headlight assembly is used for flash to pass if the car is equipped with HID headlamps. The new X3's don't have this halogen bulb, though. When I look into the innermost light housing on my X3 there is no bulb, but there is some wiring. Maybe this means the halogen bulb is included in some markets?
Just checked on mine too and you're right, when the headlights are off and you pull the stalk it fires up and blinks the xenon headlights. What a terrible design - flicking HIDs on and off like that is a sure way to damage the bulbs and shorten their life dramatically. I'm shocked they did it this way.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #6
slam
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3

The inner lights only have lit outer rings. Kind of surprised about even having these fake headlights.

I also noticed Fog Lights are not white Xenon. They should at least be a matching white?

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 11:34 PM   #7
powertech83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by slam View Post
The inner lights only have lit outer rings. Kind of surprised about even having these fake headlights.

I also noticed Fog Lights are not white Xenon. They should at least be a matching white?
"White halogen" is mostly tinted blue and it's been said to reduce visibility. Also, in foggy condition, yellow "penetrates" fog better than bluish white. This is only from stuff I read though, no personal experience as I almost never encounter fog so I rarely turn on the fog lights.
Appreciate 0