BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-29-2012, 03:15 PM   #1
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Just arrived home after a few days in Sweden on business to find 47 dents in my bonnet, roof, tailgate, wings - caused by hail storm in Leicestershire yesterday. It looks like I parked on a golf driving range! A trip to dealers body shop next week.

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 03:20 PM   #2
QTPie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D M Sport

Is this quite common with cars or a problem with X3s?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 04:19 PM   #3
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMMER UK 76 View Post
Just arrived home after a few days in Sweden on business to find 47 dents in my bonnet, roof, tailgate, wings - caused by hale storm in Leicestershire yesterday. It looks like I parked on a golf driving range! A trip to dealers body shop next week.
Sorry to hear this
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 04:33 PM   #4
KingX
Unregistered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 M-Sport 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by QTPie View Post

Is this quite common with cars or a problem with X3s?
ammmm.......what the....really?

too funny..

[Black Sapphire/Oyster/Wave Wood: ZPP/ZTP/ZCW/ZCX/ZDH/ZPS/ZMP/6NR]
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 07:23 PM   #5
welkerbrads
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 white X3

I know how you feel. On vacation I had some person open there car into my left front fender and left a dent the size of a golf ball. Had a dent removal guy repaired it. Looks pretty good. Not perfect but better than the dent. You probable wouldn't find it unless i showed you. The dent Doctor said the BMW has real metal in it compared to the Hondas and Toyotas. Cost $50.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 01:13 AM   #6
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by welkerbrads
I know how you feel. On vacation I had some person open there car into my left front fender and left a dent the size of a golf ball. Had a dent removal guy repaired it. Looks pretty good. Not perfect but better than the dent. You probable wouldn't find it unless i showed you. The dent Doctor said the BMW has real metal in it compared to the Hondas and Toyotas. Cost $50.
Now times it by 47! I'm surprised the sunroof and windscreen escaped unscathed as some of the dents a BIG with worst being just below rear window on the body crease (above rear light cluster)

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 08:17 AM   #7
3Bimmer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

+1 on the dent repair guys. I had them fix a couple of dents on the hood of our E46, right along the crease line. You could not tell that a problem ever existed when they were done.

Best of luck to the OP -- I hope this gets resolved to the best possible outcome for you.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 09:45 AM   #8
khaiql
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 2012 30D

Sorry to hear and I share your pain

I had severe hail damage too after only 4 days of owning my car. If it's any consolation the dent repair guys do a superb job and couldn't see any signs of imperfections after they were done no matter how hard I tried.

Hopefully you get it back soon and all is well in the world again.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 02:16 PM   #9
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Just arrived home after a few days in Sweden on business to find 47 dents in my bonnet, roof, tailgate, wings - caused by hail storm in Leicestershire yesterday. It looks like I parked on a golf driving range! A trip to dealers body shop next week.
I saw the hailstones on the BBC news when I was in Warsaw (watching Italy beat Germany) and thought at the time I'm glad it was in the Midlands, not at Gatwick where my X3 was parked. And now I read this! Very unlucky mate. Hope they can get it back looking as good as new. I had a diamond black GTI that was badly scratched and dented by some tools looking for laptops in boots and the bodyshop repair work finish (all on insurance) was amazing

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 01:34 AM   #10
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax
Quote:
I saw the hailstones on the BBC news when I was in Warsaw (watching Italy beat Germany) and thought at the time I'm glad it was in the Midlands, not at Gatwick where my X3 was parked. And now I read this! Very unlucky mate. Hope they can get it back looking as good as new. I had a diamond black GTI that was badly scratched and dented by some tools looking for laptops in boots and the bodyshop repair work finish (all on insurance) was amazing
I sat in a bar in Stockholm watching the game looking at Facebook pics of the hail stones the size of golf balls and floods locally washing a car down the road. I was just pleased my 400 year old roof survived (the car is easier to fix). I had asked the wife if the car was ok and she said yes (she hadn't noticed the damage - should have gone to specsavers), luckily she had gone shopping and her car was parked in a multi-storey car park escaping damage.

The final dent count after a wash is.......... 62! I'm guessing a repair bill of £2,400 (some dents can only be seen in certain light as you look across the bodywork, others are big).

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 03:22 AM   #11
washy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2c/S1000RR

Wow sorry to hear about this.
      07-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #12
Brutus1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 x3 -Alpine white

What a bummer! Every time I hear of a storm I fear hail. April 2011 we had a vehicle demolished that had a car cover on it which was worthless and just this week got the roof replaced secondary to golf ball size hail.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 01:42 PM   #13
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Ok, so the main dealer has inspected and given a budget price.......

Wait for it, are you sitting down.......

Price is estimated to be >£5000 (new bonnet, remove sunroof and fix roof then re-spray)

OUCH!

That's why we have insurance.

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 04:09 PM   #14
VikingOne
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530e 2018

Yes, OUCH!

Sorry to hear that. I had a hire car in Spain a few years back, and was caught in a hail storm, the car ended up looking like the surface of a golf ball over the whole car. Hire company didn't question the damage, thank god.

Did they say how long to do the repair on the X3?

Previous: 2011 X3 2.0d xLine
Previous: 2015 X3 LCI 3.0d xLine
Current: 2018 530e 2L M-Sport I-Performance
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 05:27 AM   #15
cheesebag
Debadged and Alpine Weiss!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 Msport

Ouch!
Appreciate 0