BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-11-2012, 06:06 AM   #23
Renaud
Private
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 20i; 2002 E36/8

Being to some extent familiar with Belgian traffic conditions, I am wondering whether you will notice the difference between 163 and 184 HP.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 10:27 AM   #24
mooney058
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F25 (Sept 2012) 525i (gone)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaud View Post
Being to some extent familiar with Belgian traffic conditions, I am wondering whether you will notice the difference between 163 and 184 HP.
agree, but I would need it when I go skiing or fishing, etc. the difference between 163 and 184 would be only noticeble on highway driving - when at arround 3000 rpm tork curve goes down and HP curve still goes up - the likely situation would be overtaking on a highway or even other road. in city driving it would not be noticeable
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 12:22 PM   #25
NordicBMW
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 / 2013 X1

The Norwegian BMW catalogue claims the torque curve to be almost identical between the two with max torque across an identical range. There must be a difference at the high end though. But to add to the story, the Swedish car magazine Teknikens Varld (a real car geek publication - they test it all and don't believe in the factory's test figures) tested the 184hp version last year and in their test bench they could not claim the 184hp version to actually deliver more hp than 163hp. The difference between the two is by the way purely software, no differences in other components as far as I have understood it.

To be honest I suspect our 163 hp versions of being a bit more capable than it seems. It would be interesting to know if anybody out there actually have tried both in sequence and can tell about a significant difference in response and feel. I tried both a few weeks apart and only for approx 30 mins and really couldn't tell myself but obviously the comparison should have been on the same day to be of any use in our discussion.

Interestingly enough my BMW sales rep also recommended me not to go for the 184hp even if I actually was able to twist my budget a bit and go for it. It may be due to how his sales quotas/bonus schemes are defined but an interesting observation anyway.

I have driven my 163hp 20d for a month now and haven't been in lack of power at highways or in city driving. But this is maybe due to our in general very boring speed limits.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 02:23 PM   #26
mooney058
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F25 (Sept 2012) 525i (gone)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordicBMW View Post
The Norwegian BMW catalogue claims the torque curve to be almost identical between the two with max torque across an identical range. There must be a difference at the high end though. But to add to the story, the Swedish car magazine Teknikens Varld (a real car geek publication - they test it all and don't believe in the factory's test figures) tested the 184hp version last year and in their test bench they could not claim the 184hp version to actually deliver more hp than 163hp. The difference between the two is by the way purely software, no differences in other components as far as I have understood it.

To be honest I suspect our 163 hp versions of being a bit more capable than it seems. It would be interesting to know if anybody out there actually have tried both in sequence and can tell about a significant difference in response and feel. I tried both a few weeks apart and only for approx 30 mins and really couldn't tell myself but obviously the comparison should have been on the same day to be of any use in our discussion.

Interestingly enough my BMW sales rep also recommended me not to go for the 184hp even if I actually was able to twist my budget a bit and go for it. It may be due to how his sales quotas/bonus schemes are defined but an interesting observation anyway.

I have driven my 163hp 20d for a month now and haven't been in lack of power at highways or in city driving. But this is maybe due to our in general very boring speed limits.
So my dilema is whether I should be going skiing to Austria or France - on FR highways the speed limit is 130 so 163hp engine should be OK, but if I would be going to Austria (in my case the road leads via Germany and its autobahns) then any extra horse would help
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 02:53 PM   #27
NordicBMW
Private
Norway
Rep

Or you could go skiing in Norway! Recommended
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 05:50 AM   #28
NordicBMW
Private
Norway
Rep

Just a quick additional note on this. I just got the new price list from BMW Norway valid from 1 August. The price diff between 184hp and 163hp is now below 1000 EUR since BMW has chosen to increase the price on the 163hp significantly.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 09:45 AM   #29
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Another thing to do if you are worried about your X3 having different components is to take a look at "real oem" (not sure if we're allowed to link to site) and compare between the 20d & 30d. Select your model/build date and check out the part numbers by clicking on the photos. If they have the same transmission as well as other parts then you should be fine like NordicBMW said.
Appreciate 0