BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-26-2011, 01:21 PM   #1
VikingOne
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530e 2018

Question Key Holder

On some videos, I have noticed a key holder slot near to the start button. Is this a US only standard?
Seems a good idea, as when drving the test car, wasn't sure what to do with the key, and kept leaving it in cup holder and forgetting it.

Previous: 2011 X3 2.0d xLine
Previous: 2015 X3 LCI 3.0d xLine
Current: 2018 530e 2L M-Sport I-Performance

Last edited by VikingOne; 02-26-2011 at 01:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 01:36 PM   #2
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingOne View Post
On some videos, I have noticed a key holder slot near to the start button. Is this a US only standard?
Seems a good idea, as when drving the test car, wasn't sure what to do with the key, and kept leaving it in cup holder and forgetting it.
Not noticed this and I think I have watched every video ever made on the new X3 (most in languages I cannot understand)

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 01:59 PM   #3
VikingOne
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMMER UK 76 View Post
Not noticed this and I think I have watched every video ever made on the new X3 (most in languages I cannot understand)
Typical, cant find a video showing the holder now, I will keep hunting.

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 02:17 PM   #4
VikingOne
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

This video shows key holder.

Oh its an X5.

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 04:07 PM   #5
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

X3's don't have a key slot, but they do have a marked location (on the steering column) to hold the key near, as a back-up for starting the car if the normal keyless system fails, or if the battery in the wireless key is dead.

The key uses a battery that will eventually need to be replaced. It is not recharged in the car. The electronic key is in two-way communication with the car's computer and not only stores individual user preferences for seats, iDrive settings and phone directories, but also stores car maintenance info. You can bring your key to a dealership, and they will know the car's mileage, the estimated date for the next required service, and any major problem faults.

The key may also "know" your driving history, bank account balance and the websites you frequent on the Internet, but I'm not sure about those last three.

Last edited by Lotus7; 02-26-2011 at 07:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 05:36 PM   #6
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

No key holder as has been mentioned. I use the drinks holder but I find the whole no key in the ignition thing very strange. Will take some getting used to. I find it easiest to open the car and then leave the key in my pocket.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 06:08 PM   #7
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

My Z has this and in some Z models without comfort access option, it even charges the key fob! (but not my version). It also retains things like seat position settings, mirror settings etc.

Dave
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 06:19 PM   #8
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

I can tell you that there is absolutely no key holder on the new X3.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 06:40 PM   #9
flash3
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

Does the key fob allow you to auto-start your engine from a remote distance? i.e. - from your kitchen while the car is parked outside.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 09:27 PM   #10
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3 View Post
Does the key fob allow you to auto-start your engine from a remote distance? i.e. - from your kitchen while the car is parked outside.

The "Start" function is available from the dashboard button, only, NOT the remote "key".

No standard or optional remote start on the X3. So far no dealer installed, factory approved system is available in this country (that I'm aware of).

The reputable independent installers will usually not even consider installing an after market (third party) remote starter on a late model BMW (any with keyless entry) because of the complexity of the electrical anti-theft and engine/transmission management systems. Remember, this car has a digitally controlled transmission and parking brakes, and no mechanical parking brake. Potentially, a 1-bit error could result in the car being started in gear with the parking and main brakes off. That's why you must have your foot on the brake pedal to operate the starter.

There is an advertised German BMW remote starter, but they don't seem to have any approved installers in the US.

see:
<http://www.eberspaecher.com/servlet/PB/menu/1003710_l1/index.html>

Considering the way the iDrive is integrated into ALL of the X3's systems, I'd expect that installing a remote starter could be a potential disaster. It would undoubtedly mean modifying and adding code to the engine management system which would certainly void your BMW warrantee and also get you in trouble with the EPA. It would probably be cheaper to hire someone to start your car for you each morning than to try to mod a keyless start BMW.

Last edited by Lotus7; 02-26-2011 at 09:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 10:37 AM   #11
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

There is a key holder in the car. It is called the "driver".
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 11:11 AM   #12
flash3
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
The "Start" function is available from the dashboard button, only, NOT the remote "key".

No standard or optional remote start on the X3. So far no dealer installed, factory approved system is available in this country (that I'm aware of).

The reputable independent installers will usually not even consider installing an after market (third party) remote starter on a late model BMW (any with keyless entry) because of the complexity of the electrical anti-theft and engine/transmission management systems. Remember, this car has a digitally controlled transmission and parking brakes, and no mechanical parking brake. Potentially, a 1-bit error could result in the car being started in gear with the parking and main brakes off. That's why you must have your foot on the brake pedal to operate the starter.

There is an advertised German BMW remote starter, but they don't seem to have any approved installers in the US.

see:

Considering the way the iDrive is integrated into ALL of the X3's systems, I'd expect that installing a remote starter could be a potential disaster. It would undoubtedly mean modifying and adding code to the engine management system which would certainly void your BMW warrantee and also get you in trouble with the EPA. It would probably be cheaper to hire someone to start your car for you each morning than to try to mod a keyless start BMW.
Thanks for the info!

Yeah, there is abs NO way I am going to go to a 3rd party to get the auto-start installed, even if it was available. This entire car is controlled by a CPU, as you mentioned and one little slight error in the installation process could potentially cause issues down the line.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 09:13 PM   #13
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3 View Post
Thanks for the info!

Yeah, there is abs NO way I am going to go to a 3rd party to get the auto-start installed, even if it was available. This entire car is controlled by a CPU, as you mentioned and one little slight error in the installation process could potentially cause issues down the line.
Actually, multiple CPUs and PLAs that hopefully "play nice" with each other. No exact count on the X3 yet, but if you consider all the dedicated processors (fuel management, transmission, ABS, airbag controller, safety systems, displays, OBD, Xdrive management, Sat/Nav, Entertainment, etc., etc) a new X3 probably has more than (20). We're probably talking millions of lines of source code.

The days of reaching behind the dash mounted ignition switch and pressing a piece of aluminum foil over the contacts to start a car are long gone.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 10:28 PM   #14
jaymk5
Bheem (Powerful and Fearful)
United_States
Rep
Drives: "OnOrder" BMW X3 35i SpaceGray

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post

see:

Well explained, when I actually asked my sales rep about the remote start option, he mentioned the exact same thing. But considering minnesota's climatic condition in winter, I actually, really, prefer the remote starter, it will be great if BMW had this as a option atleast...
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 10:55 PM   #15
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymk5 View Post
Well explained, when I actually asked my sales rep about the remote start option, he mentioned the exact same thing. But considering minnesota's climatic condition in winter, I actually, really, prefer the remote starter, it will be great if BMW had this as a option atleast...
Well then you're in luck! iDrive features a setting by which you can set the times you want the aircon/ventilation to activate when the car is parked. It's more for summer heat, but you can still set it and have the car maintain a warmer temp in the winter, I believe.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 08:50 PM   #16
elbertc
Philippines
Rep
Drives: f25 X3 20d, e87 120d bluefin

As for a key holder, you might find this info useful:

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12302951
Appreciate 0