BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-09-2011, 06:34 PM   #89
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Adding a bit of "potential detail" . . .

When I took delivery of my X3 this month, the adapter for the iPhone for the new X3 was not available. Today the dealership explained that they haven't been available since December, waiting for the new adapter specifically for the iPhone 4. The adapter will be arrive in 2-4 weeks.

Kinda fuzzy, but I'm thinking that means they stopped delivering the old one (does anyone with an F25 have an iPhone adapter???) and the new one will be the one required to utilize the 6NR software upgrade (assuming that's what it is as it sounds).
      02-09-2011, 10:03 PM   #90
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
Adding a bit of "potential detail" . . .

When I took delivery of my X3 this month, the adapter for the iPhone for the new X3 was not available. Today the dealership explained that they haven't been available since December, waiting for the new adapter specifically for the iPhone 4. The adapter will be arrive in 2-4 weeks.

Kinda fuzzy, but I'm thinking that means they stopped delivering the old one (does anyone with an F25 have an iPhone adapter???) and the new one will be the one required to utilize the 6NR software upgrade (assuming that's what it is as it sounds).
Depends which iPhone cradle you are referring to.

The iPhone 4 cradles are just starting to ship now. Previous iPhone 3 and original iPhone cradles are of course available for BT only and Music now.

Any iPhone cradle will work in any base plate .. From a physical point of view. You have to just select the correct cradle based on

iPhone version you have.
Options you have in your car (6NF, 6FL, BT)
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 06:05 PM   #91
haldol
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40e

Update:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=153
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 11:09 PM   #92
AlBoston
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 740i xdrive & 2018 640GT

Well my new car is due in NJ on 2/18... I'm still hoping a retrofit can be done!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 01:22 AM   #93
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

I think in summary, there is no way you'll get a more concrete answer from BMW UK at the moment. They are waiting on Germany and Germany haven't released any more information.

I've copied the latest email trail here

Quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi John,

Further to our conversation and emails last week, I have made this information available on the forum and corrected the wrong information. It would be great if you could forward the email from Germany or just paraphrase it, because many people are still unsure given the history of the issue, and some are waiting on placing an order for a new X3 until they have something in writing.

Thanks in advance for your help

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for your further email dated February 6, 2011.

We have managed to secure limited stock of the 'Basic' snap-in adapter for the iPhone 4 and as a result have released this part with immediate effect. This snap-in adaptor should not be confused with the media-snap in adaptor, which currently does not have a release date. The media adaptor provides video playback and needs to be used in conjunction with the Mobile Application Preparation, released later this year.

Hi John,

I'm a little confused. Is this paragraph the paraphrased email from Germany?

"We have managed to secure limited stock of the 'Basic' snap-in adapter for the iPhone 4 and as a result have released this part with immediate effect. This snap-in adaptor should not be confused with the media-snap in adaptor, which currently does not have a release date. The media adaptor provides video playback and needs to be used in conjunction with the Mobile Application Preparation, released later this year."

so when it says "we have managed to secure" and "have released this part", who is "we" and does that mean it should now be available as an accessory on bmw.co.uk? (it's not)

I think what most people are clamouring for (and there are a lot of interested parties here and in America) is a definitive statement from BMW that says 6NR will be available as an accessory later this year. It will not be restricted to new builds, existing cars with bluetooth prep and professional satnav will be able to upgrade by buying the software update and the new media snap-in adapter for iPhone4.

I know you have already said this but at the moment, people are still being told that it won't be available on existing cars, only on new builds and most dealers haven't got a clue either way and seem to just guess.

I hope you can appreciate the confusion and why something definitive from Germany would help clear it all up. Thanks in advance

Thank you for your further email dated February 9, 2011.

In answer to your query, the term 'we' is representative of BMW UK and the paragraph was paraphrased as requested. Whilst I understand your frustration at wanting to get some clarification on this matter, to bring this to a conclusion I can confirm that the information I have supplied in our previous correspondence is BMW UK's stance. We have no further details supplied by BMW Germany, however, any future correspondence we receive will be logged under the reference number quoted in the subject header. As soon as any official statements are released by BMW Germany, this will be communicated though our bmw.co.uk website and BMW Approved Dealerships.

I trust this clarifies our current position on this matter.

OK, so if you as in BMW UK have managed to secure a limited stock of the basic snap-in adapter for iPhone4 and you have released this part with immediate effect, why has it never appeared under accessories on your website? Is it only available through dealers? Between you and BMW Germany, I have to say the communication on this whole thing has been an utter shambles. A view shared by many other frustrated customers.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 05:53 PM   #94
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

One more to add. No more useful information but interesting to note that 8 months after the iPhone 4 was released, its basic snap-in adapter is now available, but only if you're lucky

Quote:
I would like to reinforce that I certainly appreciate the frustrations that you have experienced as a customer. As I advised in my previous response, BMW UK have secured limited stock of the basic snap-in adapter for the iPhone 4. As we only have a limited availability we took the decision not to put these on our website as this could potentially cause further disappointment. The basic snap-in adaptor can be ordered from our network of BMW Approved Dealerships and should stock have deminished at the time you enquire, then I would recommend requesting that the dealership place you on an expressed interest list. This will ensure you are one of the first to be contacted when more stock arrives.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 11:38 PM   #95
AlBoston
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 740i xdrive & 2018 640GT

sfax,

I spoke to BMWNA and they also CONFIRMED that I could update my software at the dealership to be able to use the "BMW APPS" as also confirmed by BMW UK. Unfortunately it was via telephone so no email to post.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 12:40 AM   #96
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlBoston View Post
sfax,

I spoke to BMWNA and they also CONFIRMED that I could update my software at the dealership to be able to use the "BMW APPS" as also confirmed by BMW UK. Unfortunately it was via telephone so no email to post.
We're looking good again then

Thanks for letting me know. Not long until I pick up my X3 so I will be eagerly awaiting news on 6NR's availability.

I have a potential issue with getting a new iPhone 4 because I realised my wife will still have an iPhone 3G and we would preferably like to use the same cradle for both phones. I could opt for a 3GS to overcome this I suppose, but do you think the new iPhone 4 cradle will work (size-wise) with an iPhone 3G/3GS? I would ask BMW but I doubt they would know....

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 04:29 AM   #97
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

My dealer stated the new cradle was "for the iPhone 4", but I didn't think to try to confirm whether that meant designed to accept and utilize the 4, or only compatible with the 4.

Not that it's the same, but you can still connect another device with the USB (and audio) jacks in the armrest storage and the bluetooth will work for the second phone if you're both in the car at the same time. No power, but can receive calls. I'm thinking you want it for when she's driving so she can put it in the cradle for charge, antenna, etc.

Perhaps you're left only the option to apply the whole new-car-justifies-new-phone "logic" . . . .
      02-16-2011, 04:45 AM   #98
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I'm thinking you want it for when she's driving so she can put it in the cradle for charge, antenna, etc.
Bingo. But.... if should could still charge it via the USB and only my iPhone 4 worked with the antenna/aerial, I'd be happy with that, and she'd be happy too until she realised her setup was inferior, and then she'd want an iPhone 4 as well

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 04:50 AM   #99
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Charging does work. I have my iPod Touch plugged in there now while waiting for the iPhone cradle insert thing-a-ma-doodle. It charges and plays music and I do phone calls from the phone via bluetooth.
      02-16-2011, 05:18 AM   #100
sgrant3
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 Second Gen

help needed!

Quote:
Charging does work. I have my iPod Touch plugged in there now while waiting for the iPhone cradle insert thing-a-ma-doodle. It charges and plays music and I do phone calls from the phone via bluetooth.
Thanks for your update Nohoa.

This helps me a great deal as I only have opt'd for the basic bluetooth option as I don't take a lot of calls on the move but what I did want to know was if the usb connection to my iPhone 4 would charge so I could play music whilst using the bluetooth to take calls. Also couldn't be doing with the hassle of removing the bumber from my iPhone everytime I wanted to use the cradle.

Can you provide me with an answer for a couple of other points:

1. Have you tried to use the usb connection with your iPhone to play music and then take calls via bluetooth at the same time?

2. When you are using your iPod Touch can you see the album art on the display and can you use the idrive controlls to move through albums listing etc?

3. Do you only use the usb connection or do you have to use both the usb and the phono connection with some sort of "y" spliter?

Cheers

Steve
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 08:22 AM   #101
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
I could opt for a 3GS to overcome this I suppose, but do you think the new iPhone 4 cradle will work (size-wise) with an iPhone 3G/3GS? I would ask BMW but I doubt they would know....
On another board someone modified the 3GS cradle so it physically fit the iPhone 4. It did not connect however and an iDrive error message evidently said wrong phone for that adapter, so it knows which phone it is.

You face another problem - do you wait for the iPhone 5 in June, even further complicating things....
      02-16-2011, 09:23 AM   #102
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoze View Post
On another board someone modified the 3GS cradle so it physically fit the iPhone 4. It did not connect however and an iDrive error message evidently said wrong phone for that adapter, so it knows which phone it is.

You face another problem - do you wait for the iPhone 5 in June, even further complicating things....
Thanks for the info. Not want I wanted to hear but thanks!

Re. iPhone 5, I know! Aaaaaargh! The iPhone 5 comes out a month after my existing contract expires. I can then buy an iPhone 3GS, an iPhone 4 or an iPhone 5.

The 3GS is the safest bet, one cradle, two iPhones, should work with 6NR but gives me an inferior phone.

iPhone 4 will mean the cradle will only work with my phone, not my wife's.

iPhone 5 is the best phone but will mean that the phone will probably not work with any BMW, old or new for another year!

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 09:25 AM   #103
Tauvil
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i - Black Sapphire

From everything I've read on potential upgrades on the iPhone 5, I think you have to wait.

I have another question. What if both my wife and I have the iPhone 4 but we do not sync our contacts (for work reasons). Will the onboard computer have to re-establish all contacts everytime we switch phones in the cradle? I recall this taking awhile when first establishing.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 09:33 AM   #104
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tauvil View Post
From everything I've read on potential upgrades on the iPhone 5, I think you have to wait.

I have another question. What if both my wife and I have the iPhone 4 but we do not sync our contacts (for work reasons). Will the onboard computer have to re-establish all contacts everytime we switch phones in the cradle? I recall this taking awhile when first establishing.
Won't this be saved per driver profile?

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 09:39 AM   #105
Tauvil
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i - Black Sapphire

Possibly (hopefully). I was thinking of road trip scenarios where we're both in the car. Would likely be on my profile using my key to access the car. But what if we need to switch phones in the cradle (for say better phone reception on a call or charging)?
While I'm writing this I'm realizing this might only happen a few times each season, so probably won't be much of an issue. Just curious I suppose...
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 10:18 AM   #106
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tauvil View Post
Possibly (hopefully). I was thinking of road trip scenarios where we're both in the car. Would likely be on my profile using my key to access the car. But what if we need to switch phones in the cradle (for say better phone reception on a call or charging)?
While I'm writing this I'm realizing this might only happen a few times each season, so probably won't be much of an issue. Just curious I suppose...
It would work but you'd have to pull over and switch the keys you are using

User manual suggests contacts are saved to a profile ("Contacts can be exported and imported via the Personal Profile ....")

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 11:23 AM   #107
Alpine tourist
Alpine tourist
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: F25 Deep Sea Blue

Both iPhones are available for calls via BT, but you need to select which one has contacts displayed. Selecting and loading only takes a few seconds - you just need to learn which button/menu does this.

Contacts info within the GPS works OK (if you have entered it correctly in 'contacts'), but I would have liked an option to load in all my addresses for exactly the occasion when my iPhone is not plugged in/with me etc (unless this option is hidden in a menu).

Frustratingly, the Google Maps 'send to car' is not available in CH (we have tethering, not standalone SIM card in CH). Even BMW routes needs manual loading via USB, which seems stone age in CH, which is quite internet/mobile/cloud friendly.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 01:50 PM   #108
iFroze
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i

ZOX - BMW Apps ?

Hi All,
Just ordered 35i here in Canada.
Took: Technology, Executive and Premium Package.
When I pointed out to our dealer that we request waiting for April production of our car in order to get 6NR option installed at the factory, he had us to believe that in that case he needs to add to our total bill the CND $300 for option under code name ZOX - BMW Apps.

Does anyone know what this ZOX code means and what it includes?

My Premium Package does include Professional Multimedia Navigation system (option 609), but I do not know if USB audio interface (option 6FL) and Telephone USB audio interface (option 6NF) are included in any of my packages or its something that I need to buy in addition to everything else right away?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 02:28 PM   #109
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFroze View Post
My Premium Package does include Professional Multimedia Navigation system (option 609), but I do not know if USB audio interface (option 6FL) and Telephone USB audio interface (option 6NF) are included in any of my packages or its something that I need to buy in addition to everything else right away?
In the UK, 6FL and 6FL are both included in the professional multimedia package. For 6NR you only need pro media, the 6NR software and the new iPhone cradle.

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 10:28 PM   #110
haldol
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFroze View Post
Hi All,
Just ordered 35i here in Canada.
Took: Technology, Executive and Premium Package.
When I pointed out to our dealer that we request waiting for April production of our car in order to get 6NR option installed at the factory, he had us to believe that in that case he needs to add to our total bill the CND $300 for option under code name ZOX - BMW Apps.

Does anyone know what this ZOX code means and what it includes?

Thanks in advance!
Same here, waiting April production for the 6NR...

Here in the 1M forum and in that file:
ZOX BMW Apps
- 6NF Smartphone Integration
- 6NR BMW Apps

Does anyone in Canada can add the ZOX option (or the 6NR) to his order now?

Last edited by haldol; 02-18-2011 at 10:44 PM..
Appreciate 0