BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-03-2011, 10:52 AM   #67
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550iX

Well the story continues, someone appears to have emailed the BMW UK contacts and got a different answer on 6NR:

Quote:
Dear Mr XXXX

Thank you for your email dated February 3, 2011, regarding more information for the option 6NR.

I can confirm that Option 6NR cannot be fitted to the vehicle once it has been delivered. This option can only be applied at the point of manufacture, if the vehicle has USB Audio Interface and BMW Professional Multimedia Navigation System.

I trust that this information addresses your query, however, should you require any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me again.

Yours sincerely

BMW Group UK
Diane Lee
Customer Information Executive
Ellesfield Avenue
Bracknell RG12 8TA
Tel: 0800 325600
Fax: 0870 5050 205
Email: customer.information@bmw.co.uk
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=117
      02-03-2011, 02:17 PM   #68
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Well ksoze, I have to say that your scepticism may have been well placed and my optimism misplaced

This answer completely contradicts the answer that I got a day before and the phone number in the email signature suggests that they are in exactly the same office, probably sitting next to each other!

Bang goes the credibility of BMW Group UK. What completely beggars belief for me is that they can give two answers that completely contradict each other and deliver them without caveats. It's not, "we think it should be available, but we need to wait on information from BMW in Germany", it's "absolutely, you can, go for it". I've never experienced anything quite like it.

I've forwarded this email back to the guy that emailed me and will post the response.

Joy is often confused and doesn't really understand what she is giving you.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 02:27 PM   #69
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
This answer completely contradicts the answer that I got a day before and the phone number in the email signature suggests that they are in exactly the same office, probably sitting next to each other!
Probably are the same person sitting at a call desk somewhere in New Delhi
      02-03-2011, 08:19 PM   #70
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Well ksoze, I have to say that your scepticism may have been well placed and my optimism misplaced

Bang goes the credibility of BMW Group UK. What completely beggars belief for me is that they can give two answers that completely contradict each other and deliver them without caveats. It's not, "we think it should be available, but we need to wait on information from BMW in Germany", it's "absolutely, you can, go for it". I've never experienced anything quite like it.

I've forwarded this email back to the guy that emailed me and will post the response.

Joy is often confused and doesn't really understand what she is giving you.
Yea but in the correspondence you had from them ... nowhere did it talk about retrofit or accessory option (other than purchasing the cradle.

It just talked about how much the option cost and a dumb down point of view of what it consist of. Software and cradle.

So ... for me at least, reading the new correspondence simply complemented information you already got, didn't counter it .. and simply stated this option was only available as a factory option.

Further ... even if you think about the cradle ... Thats just one part of the story. The cradle sits in a base plate. With it's own connector and pin outs. When 6NF was introduced the base plate got changed from the original base plate to accommodate audio out with new pin outs. The base plate will change again for 6NR to accommodate video out. I'm sure of it. So ... unless BMW are already fitting the base plates to support video out (and associated wiring to the Combox) to cars now, expect a change for that at least.

I guess, anyone that has taken delivery with the smart phone option, take a snap of your base plate (remove the plastic cover though ;-) and post it here. I'll tell you if its different from the existing music only 6FL base plate.

Last edited by apw2607; 02-03-2011 at 08:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 01:53 AM   #71
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
Yea but in the correspondence you had from them ... nowhere did it talk about retrofit or accessory option (other than purchasing the cradle.

It just talked about how much the option cost and a dumb down point of view of what it consist of. Software and cradle.

So ... for me at least, reading the new correspondence simply complemented information you already got, didn't counter it .. and simply stated this option was only available as a factory option.

Further ... even if you think about the cradle ... Thats just one part of the story. The cradle sits in a base plate. With it's own connector and pin outs. When 6NF was introduced the base plate got changed from the original base plate to accommodate audio out with new pin outs. The base plate will change again for 6NR to accommodate video out. I'm sure of it. So ... unless BMW are already fitting the base plates to support video out (and associated wiring to the Combox) to cars now, expect a change for that at least.

I guess, anyone that has taken delivery with the smart phone option, take a snap of your base plate (remove the plastic cover though ;-) and post it here. I'll tell you if its different from the existing music only 6FL base plate.
You're only seeing one side of the correspondence so perhaps I should have posted my email as well. It was as follows:

Quote:
Hi, thank you very much for the information. Just what I was after. Can I infer that you can definitely buy 6NR as an accessory (when available) if I have the prerequisites that you have listed below? The professional multimedia package on the X3 includes all of the prerequisites so I should be OK. I only ask because other people have been told 6NR is only available as a factory fitted option, which I believe to be incorrect.

Thanks in advance for you help
And the reply was

Quote:
I can confirm that, so long as you have the outlined optional extras listed in my previous communication, you simply need to purchase the software update and the specifically designed snap-in adaptor for Mobile Application Preparation. This software update is not restricted to new build vehicles.
Too me, that's unambiguous. To the people at BMW, who knows. That place is like a ministry of misinformation!

I'm not sure on the base plate etc or the history of what happened with other options. I don't think I'll believe the answer now until I see it for sale as an accessory, and even then, until it's installed and working in my X3.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 12:21 PM   #72
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep

The saga continues...

Someone emailed the original guy in the UK email and sent the second response and this what they got back:

Quote:
Dear Mr xxx

Thank you for your further email dated February 3, 2011.

I am sorry for the conflicting information you received from my colleague Ms Lee. I can assure you that this was not our intention, however, I can confirm that my response to Mr XXXXXX is correct.

I trust this clarifies our position on this matter. Should you have any additional queries, please do not hesitate to contact me again.

Yours sincerely

BMW Group UK
John Brookes
Ellesfield Avenue
Bracknell RG12 8TA
Tel: 0800 325 600
URL: www.bmw.co.uk
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=126

Last edited by ksoze; 02-04-2011 at 02:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 12:31 PM   #73
bluesmachine
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e blue/cognac

Garage List
2011 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
1998 BMW 328ic  [0.00]
I just called my dealer and stated I wanted to wait and to have my car built in the beginning of April as opposed to March and he said he would call someone and find out the 'real' answer.

He totally understood wanting to wait to place the order and agreed with me on waiting, but seemed to think that cars that went into production towards the end of March would have the 6NR update/hardware/snap in ... whatever is required.

I will of course post when I hear back.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 12:55 PM   #74
apw2607
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You're only seeing one side of the correspondence so perhaps I should have posted my email as well. It was as follows:

And the reply was

Too me, that's unambiguous. To the people at BMW, who knows. That place is like a ministry of misinformation!

I'm not sure on the base plate etc or the history of what happened with other options. I don't think I'll believe the answer now until I see it for sale as an accessory, and even then, until it's installed and working in my X3.
Yes, with the post you provided to them, I can now see why you are pulling your hair out. Indeed. Good luck, I hope it gets sorted for you.

You guys should ask this BMW UK rep to provide the part number for the "retrofit" ... i.e software update in this case. He should be able to provide you with that. All retrofits have part numbers.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 01:06 PM   #75
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Per http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=484873

BMW Apps (6NR) available on U.S. X3 as of April production.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 01:09 PM   #76
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

I've spoken to John Brookes at BMW today about this in some detail. More details to follow but in summary:

Definitely* available as an accessory. Confirmed by technical team at BMW and in an email from BMW in Germany.

iPhone 4 "basic" accessory available from today - this has now appeared on bmw.co.uk. This just fits an iPhone4 but doesn't give you any new 6NR stuff

iPhone 4 media snap-in available from April as an accessory - this is what you need, along with the 6NR software update

What this means is 6NR is definitely available* as an accessory but you can't get the iPhone 4 media snap-in cradle that you need until April.

* according to BMW Group UK, and confirmed in an email from Germany - details of actual email hopefully will follow but I haven't seen said email with my own eyes!

Quote:
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 4 February 2011 16:14
Subject: [SRNUMBER=1-6641861460]

Dear Mr xxxx

Thank you for your email dated February 3, 2011. I am responding on behalf of my colleague Mr John Brookes.

Please accept my apologies with regards to the conflicting information given to you and Mr xxxx, however, this has been addressed and I can confirm that the previous correspondence sent to you by my colleague, Mr John Brookes was the correct information in relation to your enquiry.

I trust that this clarifies the situation, however, if you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me again.

Yours sincerely

BMW Group UK
Alexandra Rixom

Ellesfield Avenue
Bracknell RG12 8TA
Fax: 0870 5050 206

Mail: customer.information@bmw.co.uk

Last edited by sfax; 02-04-2011 at 01:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 03:34 PM   #77
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

This is my understanding of the current 6NR situation. Please feel free to correct or comment. This information comes from BMW Group UK (including their technical team) and some of it indirectly from BMW AG in Germany.
Part of the confusion seems to come from the fact that 6NR should have already been available now and was delayed because of some technical issues (source: BMW Germany).

1. 6NR is not yet available on new UK orders but will become available as an option soon. Probably in March when it also becomes available in the US. I would ignore the fact it has appeared on the UK xDrive20d M Sport configurator (but not the SE?!?)

2. 6NR will also be available as an accessory to people that already have an F25 X3 providing it has options:

- a. 633 BLUETOOTH TELEPHONE PREP
- b. 6FL USB AUDIO INTERFACE
- c. 6NF TELEPHONE USB AUDIO INTERFACE
- d. Professional Multimedia Package

All of these options are already part of the professional multimedia package so I’m not sure why the prerequisites are listed like this. I can only assume the only prerequisite is Professional Multimedia.

3. To get 6NR if you already have an X3 with Prof Multimedia, you will need to purchase:

- a. new iPhone snap-in media adaptor / cradle (available April), estimate £135 ($220)
- b. 6NR software update (available April) £130 ($210)

I should get some more details of the email from BMW AG in Germany and when I do, I will post

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 09:46 PM   #78
AlBoston
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 740i xdrive & 2018 640GT

I was the one that also contacted BMW UK (even tho I'm in the USA) about the 6nr. My F10 just finished production yesterday with NAV, 6FL, 6NF, 6VC but dealer would not push out the order for 6nr.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 01:53 AM   #79
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlBoston View Post
I was the one that also contacted BMW UK (even tho I'm in the USA) about the 6nr. My F10 just finished production yesterday with NAV, 6FL, 6NF, 6VC but dealer would not push out the order for 6nr.
Good work. So you're Mr XXX . I think it's pretty certain now that you will be able to add 6NR as an accessory (although not until April) but based on this experience, I have very little confidence left in BMW and information on their own technology. I won't be 100% sure until it's installed and working so I can understand people wanting to delay their orders.

Congrats on your new F10!

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 04:00 PM   #80
AlBoston
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 740i xdrive & 2018 640GT

Update!

Dear Mr Xxxx

Thank you for your further email, regarding Mobile Application Preparation.

I can confirm, as my previous email, this new optional extra will be released as a software update, which you will be able to purchase from your local or preferred BMW Approved Dealership. However, please be aware that the BMW 1 Series Coupe and Convertible will be the first vehicles to have this feature installed at production. At this present time, we do not have any timescales or release dates for the software update. However, this will communicated via our dealerships and the bmw.co.uk website.

I trust this clarifies the matter to your satisfaction. Should you have any additional queries, please do not hesitate to contact me again.

Yours sincerely

BMW Group UK
John Brookes
Ellesfield Avenue
Bracknell RG12 8TA
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 03:42 PM   #81
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Some more information on this

Quote:
We have managed to secure limited stock of the 'Basic' snap-in adapter for the iPhone 4 and as a result have released this part with immediate effect. This snap-in adaptor should not be confused with the media-snap in adaptor, which currently does not have a release date. The media adaptor provides video playback and needs to be used in conjunction with the Mobile Application Preparation, released later this year.

I trust this information is to your satisfaction.

Yours sincerely

BMW Group UK
John Brookes
Ellesfield Avenue
Bracknell RG12 8TA
This wasn't what I asked for at all but suggests that an iPhone4 adapter is now available. However, it's not available as an accessory on their website??

It again suggests in a roundabout BMW convoluted way that both the software (Mobile Application Preparation) and the media snap-in adapter will both be available separately later in the year. This is as good as it gets at the moment.

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 04:58 PM   #82
apw2607
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Some more information on this

Quote:
We have managed to secure limited stock of the 'Basic' snap-in adapter for the iPhone 4 and as a result have released this part with immediate effect. This snap-in adaptor should not be confused with the media-snap in adaptor, which currently does not have a release date. The media adaptor provides video playback and needs to be used in conjunction with the Mobile Application Preparation, released later this year.

I trust this information is to your satisfaction.

Yours sincerely

BMW Group UK
John Brookes
Ellesfield Avenue
Bracknell RG12 8TA
This wasn't what I asked for at all but suggests that an iPhone4 adapter is now available. However, it's not available as an accessory on their website??

It again suggests in a roundabout BMW convoluted way that both the software (Mobile Application Preparation) and the media snap-in adapter will both be available separately later in the year. This is as good as it gets at the moment.
I loose track of where I reply to this stuff as all the forums are asking the same question

Basic and music iPhone 4 cradle is now available

Media cradle not released yet.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 05:06 PM   #83
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep

John Brookes of BMW UK appears to be the only living person on earth, directly associated in some form with BMW, who is both confirming and detailing valuable information on 6NR upgrades.

He is a one man communications department who is either a rogue among dolts or simply the only informed person at Bavarian Motor Works. His own local co-workers directly counter his claims when called upon and are subsequently corrected and politely dispatched by the amazing Mister Brookes.

John Brookes will either be a hero or a villain when this is all sorted out more officially in due time.

Here's hoping for the former.
      02-08-2011, 08:33 PM   #84
haldol
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40e

6NR available for M3...
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=144
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 01:39 AM   #85
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoze View Post
John Brookes of BMW UK appears to be the only living person on earth, directly associated in some form with BMW, who is both confirming and detailing valuable information on 6NR upgrades.

He is a one man communications department who is either a rogue among dolts or simply the only informed person at Bavarian Motor Works. His own local co-workers directly counter his claims when called upon and are subsequently corrected and politely dispatched by the amazing Mister Brookes.

John Brookes will either be a hero or a villain when this is all sorted out more officially in due time.

Here's hoping for the former.
+1 Excellent conjecture ksoze!

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 08:10 AM   #86
bluesmachine
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e blue/cognac

Garage List
2011 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
1998 BMW 328ic  [0.00]
Ok, I've followed this and read all the materials and so on...

For the USA customer, how should we look upon these UK emails and statements?

I have a week 9 build ready to go but am apprehensive to go through with it fearing it is NOT upgradable.

Also, there is always the chance that they *say* the X3's will be an April build with the 6NR but it may end up becoming May or even beyond...
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 09:06 AM   #87
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesmachine View Post
For the USA customer, how should we look upon these UK emails and statements?
With hope and also a healthy dose of skepticism.

Although it appears to be technically straightforward for a simple software upgrade, we still do not know if it involves other hardware or firmware changes to the Combox or additional connections from the Smartphone base plate. We just don't know. BMW's official silence on the retrofit possibilities, aside from the BMW UK's willingness to comment, have been telling. BMW has a history like many car makers of moving the technology forward, but not looking back very well. There is a thriving aftermarket to prove this. With the advent of the Combox late last year however, the promise was for future upgrades to keep pace with the changing phone market and bluetooth profiles. That is where the hope is.

If you will be let down by not having this option, I would probably wait. I recently changed from a week 7 to a week 10 production for my M3 to ensure I get 6NR, as well as any other small changes that may occur during this mid year change. Although the initial features are not that appealing (Facebook, Twitter), I do believe it will open up some interesting possibilities for more phone/car integration going forward.

Last edited by ksoze; 02-09-2011 at 02:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 02:14 PM   #88
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

kzose is right. If it's really important to you and it means only waiting a month, then wait. I'm almost certain that you will be able to buy it as an accessory but BMW seem completely unable to provide a definitive or even a consistent answer. I have sent another email asking again for what I asked for weeks ago and will post the reply (for what it's worth, which is becoming less and less).

Appreciate 0