BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-29-2012, 04:44 AM   #1
KF
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 30D

Garage List
Particulate filter

Hi All

How many diesel owners have had trouble with the particulate filters?

We have done 21,000km in tree months and today was told that the particulate filter is nearly blocked!!

If diesel owners have to replace the particulate filter every 20,000 the the cost of diesel and the filter will cost considerably more than the fuel for A Toyota V8 petrol.

I was under the illusion that long trips at 100kph plus was ideal conditions for diesels.

KF
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 06:26 AM   #2
vojak
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 Competition Xdrive

Have run a 535d MSport for the last 3 years and never had a problem.
Also had a Vauxhall Astra diesel in as a company car for 2 years a while back . Also no issues.
Maybe you got unlucky?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 11:49 AM   #3
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF View Post
Hi All

We have done 21,000km in tree months and today was told that the particulate filter is nearly blocked!!

If diesel owners have to replace the particulate filter every 20,000 the the cost of diesel and the filter will cost considerably more than the fuel for A Toyota V8 petrol.

I was under the illusion that long trips at 100kph plus was ideal conditions for diesels.

KF
That is not right, something is not triggering a regeneration. Will need the garage to force a regeneration and identify why DPF regeneration it is not working. Regenerations should occur pretty regular, 300 - 500 miles being BMW quoted average.

BMW (like many other car makers) do have issues with DPF regeneration, but usually once older and either the journey type is wrong (typically too short) and/or it is something like ECT (or EGT) not reaching the trigger parameter.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 01:28 PM   #4
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Some interesting info from the 5 series forum
http://forums.5series.net/topic/9472...e-for-the-dpf/
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 03:17 AM   #5
Jan van Zyl
Private First Class
Namibia
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 (F25) x-drive 2.0D

Quote:
Hi All

KF
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...7&d=1309919553 - page 126 onwards: info re DPF: its effectiveness also depends on various sensors - a faulty sensor/s may then give a false reading. If there is no power loss (yet) - maybe you could take it for a longish drive - although with your stated mileage it may well have been done already. Please keep us informed re final outcome.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 04:58 AM   #6
KF
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
Hi All

Have made some progress today.

The US diesels have adblue systems. I can not find any evidence of an adblue system in our car!!

Range Rover will not bring the eight speed RR's into Australia because the open road cruising revs are too low for the particulate filters to regenerate.

The solution for the city diesels was to get out into the countywide and hold at over 2000 revs to regenerate the PF. Eight speed X3's need to be doing 140kph to be doing over 2000rpm. The English AA have found a recurrence of the PF problem with the very high geared current crop of diesels after getting on top of the problem five or six years back.

It appears that BMW has chosen to drop the adblue system when their cars most need it.

I am parking the X3 for about two weeks at Melbourne Airport so will not be able to progress this problem, but far form being a driving style problem it is starting to look like BMW has got it wrong. They have got a motor that should not be driven solely in the city or solely in open road conditions.Our April drive of 14,000km included many days of 700 and up 860km in a day.
KF
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 09:02 AM   #7
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Range Rover will not bring the eight speed RR's into Australia because the open road cruising revs are too low for the particulate filters to regenerate.

The solution for the city diesels was to get out into the countywide and hold at over 2000 revs to regenerate the PF. Eight speed X3's need to be doing 140kph to be doing over 2000rpm. The English AA have found a recurrence of the PF problem with the very high geared current crop of diesels after getting on top of the problem five or six years back.

It appears that BMW has chosen to drop the adblue system when their cars most need it.

I am parking the X3 for about two weeks at Melbourne Airport so will not be able to progress this problem, but far form being a driving style problem it is starting to look like BMW has got it wrong. They have got a motor that should not be driven solely in the city or solely in open road conditions.Our April drive of 14,000km included many days of 700 and up 860km in a day.
KF
I don't understand why the latest diesels have an additional issue, as in my E91 the regeneration (post injection heat up strategy) will start in 6th gear, at around 1,600 rpm (60 mph) on a cruise. If driving slower, the auto gearbox holds a lower gear, until you get fast enough to run around the 1,500 - 1,600 rpm mark, then it changes up.

I still suspect there is some issue, rather than driving conditions. What speed and rpm are you typically cruising?

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 02:33 PM   #8
KF
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
Hi All

I am also convinced that there is something wrong with the system! It is the BMW warenty
personel that just go straight into the " nothing ever go's wrong with a BMW it must be the drivers fault!!"

The jerk at cruise speed first showed up on the third day of a five day trip in which we did 3300km! The speed limits ranged from 100kph to 130kph so we typically drove 100 to 120, it was using over 9lt/100km at 130 so we slowed down as we would need two fills a day if we had maintained 130kph.

There is no indication in the X3 of any regeneration process. This series of DPF are maintenance free!! Well the BMW head office refuses to pay for any maintenance!!

KF
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 02:36 PM   #9
powertech83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 20d

This actually scares me. I got the diesel because I drive mostly around town, and I thought the diesel would be more efficient. (besides, the only gasoline choice here was only the 35i)
How do you know if your car has DPF? I asked because the diesel quality is particularly bad over here, and I assume if BMW has the audacity to sell Euro-5 diesel models here, they may have done some modification, but this is just my assumption. Back then when the gasoline quality was bad, many manufacturers sold their vehicles here without catalytic converters (incl. Mercedes and BMWs)
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 02:40 PM   #10
Rogerbu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 GO1 30e M Sport

I am obvioussly thick - How do I kinow if the DPF regen is taking place - or (perhaps more importantly) has taken place?

Do any of the 'hidden menus' tell me when it last regen'd the DPF?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 03:59 PM   #11
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerbu View Post
I am obvioussly thick - How do I kinow if the DPF regen is taking place - or (perhaps more importantly) has taken place?

Do any of the 'hidden menus' tell me when it last regen'd the DPF?
The driver can be virtually un-aware of a regeneration.

My experience...

If regularly making long trips you may not detect a regeneration. I only used to catch/identify the occasional one, when my mileage was higher and making more longer trips.

For me, auto gearbox behaviour is usually the first sign, holds the engine speed up. The engine can have more of a gruff note and can be a bit hesitant if you are using the rev band, mpg will drop off (if OBC has had a recent reset). If running the ECT display, temperature will climb to mid/high 90 range. Then there is the burning smell and extra heat in the exhaust system, if you stop during, or just after a regeneration.

Of recent times my mpg drops off as regeneration time approaches. I'd say if I'm driving locally, I get a regeneration about every 300 miles or so, on average* at present time.

*BMW state regenerations occur at about 300 - 500 mile intervals. Also power may drop off a bit during a regeneration.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 02:37 AM   #12
KF
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
KF

Hi All

Returned to the dealer that we purchased X3 from today.

The Particulate filter had regenerated 524 earlier. About 500km after the service at the other dealer.

I think that it is very shabby that neither the other dealer or BMW warranty could not figure out that all was normal and it was near to regenerating itself. Both said that we needed to book in for service for a couple of hours at our expense as nothing ever goes wrong with BMW particulate filters that is not the fault of the driver. Just don't buy a diesel BMW and drive it at city speeds and expect any warranty help with any fuel problems!!

The trip that it regenerated itself during was a 300km freeway drive with the cruise control set at 110kph, they can regenerate at 1500 or so RPM.

KF
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 04:50 AM   #13
khaiql
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 2012 30D

Thanks for the update KF. I was concerned after your initial posting as most of my travelling is only about 20-30 KMs each way to work.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 02:59 AM   #14
KF
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
Hi all

Have since approached BMW Australia to ask them if there is any warranty on the Diesel Particulate filter.

The response I got could only have been listed in their word processor under "Go away sucker"

My concern was not that both the service manager and the BMW warranty manager could not diagnose our problem as being a DPF that was going to regenerate in the next days drive it was that there is no warranty cover to check out why the DPF registered a problem during the service. If BMW warranty managers do not understand the DPF regeneration process they should at least be a lot more generous with diagnosis time!!

I can only conclude that should any diesel owner have a real problem BMW warranty will fob then off with "it can only be the drivers fault" as they did with us.

I think it is rather sad that such a mighty car should be avoided because of the BMW warranty. There currently is not warranty!!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2017, 08:24 PM   #15
BMWTwinPWR
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 xDrive20d

You can always force regeneration if you have software to do it or know someone who can assist.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 07:08 AM   #16
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

@BMWTwinPWR

Perhaps you had not noticed , but this thread is over 4 years old.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 11:57 AM   #17
Skydance
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 35D 2010, X3 28D 2016

So 4 + years old now? Into the future what has changed. Warranty better? Mx understand the DPF system? I am having DPF issues on diesel X5 and X3. Both out of warranty. The dealer just replaced the DPF sensor which was an extended warranty part but now nothing in warranty. I am looking to buy a Code Reader that can read when it was done last and make it regen when I want. This car does many short trips around town. Pretty much love the cars when working and going back to gas buying a used vehicle to get 7-10 yrs out of driving it into the ground, junk it and buy all electric with I hope is awesome at that point in time.
Appreciate 0