BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-17-2015, 01:13 PM   #23
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

At that price in the UK it looks like there will be queues for the dealer demonstrators. Perhaps it is aimed at the US market.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 01:16 PM   #24
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

US price for the 380ps 3.0 $56,000 plus taxes I presume?

How much would the taxes be (average) on that?

Still no where near the $80,000 they are setting the price at in the UK no doubt?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 01:18 PM   #25
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
At that price in the UK it looks like there will be queues for the dealer demonstrators. Perhaps it is aimed at the US market.
I think you're right.

It does seem strange not to offer the lower trim specs in the 3.0d and 3.0 V6 though?

A £40-45k 3 litre F-Pace would sell pretty well, you are getting close to RRS prices at £55k with a few options ticked.
I know they are £61k but they have such good residuals that I bet a RRS would cost you less over 2, 3 or 4 years.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 05:11 AM   #26
Ranger 6
Yorkshireman trapped in a Berkshire postcode
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0d M-Sport

Garage List
2008 BMW X3  [0.00]
I spec'ed one as close to my X3 as I could get - £61k.....

It had better be very good.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 05:55 AM   #27
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger 6 View Post
I spec'ed one as close to my X3 as I could get - £61k.....

It had better be very good.
Hence the queue for the ex demonstrators.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 08:40 AM   #28
Smithy2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d msport Auto

Just specced an F Pace similar to mine and was coming out at £47K which isn't bad considering my X3 was £46K (albeit with a £6K discount - I doubt Jaguar will be offering any discounts)

The F Pace will definately be on my shortlist in 18 months time, would still love another X3 but would hope that the new one is out rather than having to go for the LC1 (nothing wrong with the LC1 but not nice having a new car only for it to be replaced with a new model within months!)
      09-18-2015, 03:37 PM   #29
exon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i Jet Black!

wow, didn't realize Jaguar's pricing is actually quite high in UK. In the U.S. they seem to offer pretty good discounts on MSRP (7% on Germans and ~10% on Jaguar?).

Is Jaguar considered as a more premium brand than BMW or Mercedes in UK?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 05:06 PM   #30
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by exon View Post
wow, didn't realize Jaguar's pricing is actually quite high in UK. In the U.S. they seem to offer pretty good discounts on MSRP (7% on Germans and ~10% on Jaguar?).

I do not think it is anything to do with that. A lot of it is historical and Jaguar UK has always concentrated on the export market, hence they have always considered the US market as their bread and butter so to speak. It is only recently (past 10 years) that the UK home market has started to purchase more premium cars.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 12:31 AM   #31
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

What platform is it built on? XE, XF or discovery sport?

Very intersting proposition when I replace my X4 when next gen X4 is out. For comparison.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 01:15 AM   #32
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

It is built on the all-aluminium architecture+body with advanced front- and rear suspension - AND by Jaguar handling expertise.
It will definitely be interesting to check out.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 08:48 AM   #33
exon
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X4guy View Post
What platform is it built on? XE, XF or discovery sport?

Very intersting proposition when I replace my X4 when next gen X4 is out. For comparison.
i am guessing probably the XE, similiar size, same design period, similar suspension setup.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 02:43 AM   #34
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

According to Auto express a smaller second SUV is planned by Jag based on the Discovery platform, from the photos not sure if official or not, but looks as good as the F Pace, interesting times and options in this sector for sure.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 10:52 AM   #35
exon
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin mustang View Post
According to Auto express a smaller second SUV is planned by Jag based on the Discovery platform, from the photos not sure if official or not, but looks as good as the F Pace, interesting times and options in this sector for sure.
uh oh, hope they won't repeat the same mistake of their X-type, i.e. flatform sharing with a cheap FWD ford.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 03:15 PM   #36
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endre2 View Post
Jaguar is only popular in England. In the rest of Europe nobody wants it.
Here it's BMW, Mercedes, Audi, VW, Lexus and some others. Range Rover however is popular on the continent in some countries, but no Jags....they have such a bad name because of the extreme bad quality in recent years. (maybe it's better now, might be).

Hmmm?

Not everywhere.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/n...W-Germany.html
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 01:18 AM   #37
Portimao318
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i Touring MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
30 % of what ? Talk numbers, not % and you will see that Jags are hardly sold in Europe.

http://de.statista.com/statistik/dat...n-deutschland/

Numbers of Jags sold in Holland since 1983..... In 2015 Jag has about 0,17 % of the market. It was 0,25 % in the best years. (scroll down).
http://www.autoweek.nl/verkoopcijfers.php?merk=Jaguar

Now let's have a look at BMW:
http://www.autoweek.nl/verkoopcijfers.php?merk=bmw

But, I am not saying Jags are crap (like they used to be). Maybe they are very good now, which is possible, being owned by the Indian TATA now.

Last edited by Portimao318; 10-01-2015 at 01:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 01:52 AM   #38
Portimao318
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by exon View Post

I dont know about UK, but in Europe Jag is considered a piece of sh... It is etxremely expensive, completely unreliable and after a few years it is totally worthless.
A friend of mine had bought a new Jag once (about 1996 it was). After 5 years, he wanted to buy a Mercedes. The Merc dealer didn't even bother to have a look at his car. The salesman just laughed and asked if it was Aprils fools day again.....

Last edited by Portimao318; 10-01-2015 at 02:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 02:27 AM   #39
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Not saying the sales figures, just the fact you said Jag is not popular in Europe, in many parts of Europe it has shaken its old image off and is starting to become more desirable.

Many of the reviews have put the XF ahead of the 5 series for dynamics, same with the XE compared with the 3 series, and this has swung things around for Jaguar quite a bit, and it only seems to be growing more and more.

It has taken a few years for this to happen in the UK where they have been marketing hard with lots of press cars etc. They will start doing the same in Europe too no doubt, and they are very good products now, so think in the next few years sales will ramp up a lot.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 03:41 AM   #40
Portimao318
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Not saying the sales figures, just the fact you said Jag is not popular in Europe, in many parts of Europe it has shaken its old image off and is starting to become more desirable.

Many of the reviews have put the XF ahead of the 5 series for dynamics, same with the XE compared with the 3 series, and this has swung things around for Jaguar quite a bit, and it only seems to be growing more and more.

It has taken a few years for this to happen in the UK where they have been marketing hard with lots of press cars etc. They will start doing the same in Europe too no doubt, and they are very good products now, so think in the next few years sales will ramp up a lot.
I don't care what reviews say about the new Jags. (besides, journalists are hardly ever objective).
In Germany the German cars are always the best, in France the french cars are always the best. It is just who you ask.
I am convinced that if I would buy a new Jaguar today, it will be worthless in 4 years from now. When I buy a BMW 5 , I know that the money will be wisely invested (even if a BMW would be less good in dynamics , as you suggest. So what, I don't need a car for Le Mans).
You can get a bad reputation very quickly, but to turn that reputation good again, takes a lot of years.
Like VW now, I am sure it will take a long time to convince the public how good their Diesels really are....

Still, I wish Jaguar all the best an hope they will sell a lot.

Last edited by Portimao318; 10-01-2015 at 03:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 03:55 AM   #41
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I don't care what reviews say about the new Jags. I am convinced that if I would buy a new Jaguar today, it will be worthless in 4 years from now.
When I buy a BMW 5 , I know that the money will be wisely invested.

Which was the case in the UK 10 years ago too, however, residuals on Jaguars are now pretty much the same as the German marques.

They obviously marketed Jaguar in the UK as they knew the support would be better here than anywhere else due to it being perceived as a British brand still. It worked.

I think it was also timed right, with BMWs getting softer and softer and less dynamic Jaguar saw a gap and went for it. Again, that appeals to lots of UK buyers. You have to remember, around 80% of UK sales are M-Sports, S-Lines, AMG Line models, which is not the case in Europe, so Jag going in with a very dynamic chassis was a clever move.

The new XE does feel sportier than the 3 Series, the XF does feel more sporty than the 5 Series, nearly every review agrees, so for a lot of buyers in the UK that is enough to get them to at least consider them.

We also have a huge number of cars financed, either lease purchase with a balloon or through contract hire, this allows the UK manufacturers to control the pricing and more importantly the residual values after 2, 3 4 or 5 years. There is no risk for the customer, it just comes down to what you prefer.

Quote:
You can get a bad reputation very quickly, but to turn that reputation good again, takes a lot of years.
Like VW now, I am sure it will take a long time to convince the public how good their Diesels really are....
Absolutely agree.

It has not happened over night, but we are now at the point in the UK where Jag is a real alternative to BMW, Mercedes and Audi, not everyone has bitten the bullet yet, but those that have are no longer laughed at for choosing a Jag.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 04:38 AM   #42
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 / F32

Quote:
Which was the case in the UK 10 years ago too, however, residuals on Jaguars are now pretty much the same as the German marques.

They obviously marketed Jaguar in the UK as they knew the support would be better here than anywhere else due to it being perceived as a British brand still. It worked.

I think it was also timed right, with BMWs getting softer and softer and less dynamic Jaguar saw a gap and went for it. Again, that appeals to lots of UK buyers. You have to remember, around 80% of UK sales are M-Sports, S-Lines, AMG Line models, which is not the case in Europe, so Jag going in with a very dynamic chassis was a clever move.

The new XE does feel sportier than the 3 Series, the XF does feel more sporty than the 5 Series, nearly every review agrees, so for a lot of buyers in the UK that is enough to get them to at least consider them.

We also have a huge number of cars financed, either lease purchase with a balloon or through contract hire, this allows the UK manufacturers to control the pricing and more importantly the residual values after 2, 3 4 or 5 years. There is no risk for the customer, it just comes down to what you prefer.

Absolutely agree.

It has not happened over night, but we are now at the point in the UK where Jag is a real alternative to BMW, Mercedes and Audi, not everyone has bitten the bullet yet, but those that have are no longer laughed at for choosing a Jag.

Although I think Jaguar is still seen as being an old mans car manufacturer. I realise they are trying their best with the likes of the F Type (which I think they cocked up the rear end, but the rest looks sweet), XE and now the F Pace, but it may take a while before the younger generation move away from the likes of BMW.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 04:42 AM   #43
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

I'm nopt so sure, my daughters lot, who are all early 20s seem to think Jaguar is a funky brand, but then they think the same about Kia and Citreon. Many of them see Audi and BMW as an older brand, but then I suppose she has grown up with her Dad always driving the German marques, so guess she would.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 04:44 AM   #44
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

Fully agree with you on this one, I can see BMW going the same path Benz did, the obvious aim at volume now is a big factor on risking losing the special facts that got BM to Number one premium on 1st place, like what on earth is series 2 tourer about, apart from Marketing and volume, to sacrifice the reputation of rear wheel drive cars only with car like that one is mind blowing how Marketing now run the company pushing aside engineering folks, big volume never helped quality it is simply human nature, just like all Empires end up going down. So in this debate you expect to see the like of Jag coming back with more and more quality and perfection while BMW maybe losing some, I truly hope this is not the case, I am a big fan of BM’s but when I look at what happen to Benz it is a very likely outcome. I guess for us the good news more choice! I am hopping Jag and Alfa go back to their forms along with BM’s this was more competitive prices and choice for us.

Quote:

Absolutely agree.

Appreciate 0