BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-31-2015, 06:17 PM   #1
DAN5047
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 2.0 Msport

Newbie to forum! New 2016 X3! WITH PICS (page 2)

Hello guys and girls!

Newbie from the UK here. Got my 2016 F25 X3 coming in the next 7-10 days hopefully (been waiting since June! And the darn thing missed the cargo freighter last week ) so I cannot wait.

Just wanting to say hello, get a few thoughts on the setup I've gone for (all opinions welcomed and accepted), and also advice on any recommended mods or improvements from standard which are seen as "must dos"

So I've ordered a white 2.0L diesel auto (with shift paddles) Msport, oyster leather, fine wood anthracite trim, with media professional package, servotronic steering, sun protect glass, ext folding auto dim mirrors, model designation deletion rear only, xenons, and loud speaker now I've heard a lot of pros about the variable dampener control, is that an error to have missed out?

Hopefully I can be of use to you all at some point on here, and the same back.

Bit about me - 29, police officer here in the UK, based in Wales, live with the Mrs and my little 3 year old dude in tow! work wise, any way I can assist with legal points to do with vehicles don't hesitate to ask.

Speak soon,

Dan

Last edited by DAN5047; 09-10-2015 at 02:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 06:20 PM   #2
DAN5047
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Oh - also looking at using car2cover for gap insurance, alloy and tyre cover.

Anyone got any experiences? Also, anyone know if the 622M's are diamond cut or not? They won't cover diamond cut alloys.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 06:22 PM   #3
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Welcome to the X3 community here, Dan. Whilst I may not be able to answer your specific questions, I did wish to provide a proper welcome. I suspect you will have some great times in your new X3!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 06:31 PM   #4
DAN5047
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks Max - yeah I cannot wait now. It's 00:30 here, Mrs asleep... Me up looking at pics of X3's on my phone #soontobex3nerd
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 07:44 PM   #5
Rich4
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 30d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN5047 View Post
Hello guys and girls!

Got my 2016 F25 X3 coming in the next 7-10 days hopefully (been waiting since June! And the darn thing missed the cargo freighter last week ) so I cannot wait.
Dan
I well remember the feeling—similar to waiting for your first born!
Welcome to the forum and congratulations, you will love it. Shame about it missing the boat, but you are still one lucky dude as ‘normal’ UK deliveries mostly take 4-8 months.
      09-01-2015, 03:32 AM   #6
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

DAN5047. Hello and a warm welcome to the forum from me.

For UK Residents only.

As far as Gap insurance goes, everybody says the policy they have is the best.

I am with https://gapinsurance123.co.uk/

Do not scrimp and save on the policy to save a few quid, otherwise you might get rude awakening if you are in the unfortunate position of having to claim.

I took out the best fully comprehensive policy when I purchased my 2012 brand new F31 320d Sport and replaced it 2 years later with my Ex BMW manager's X3 xDrive30d M Sport car of 11 months old that has all the bells and whistles but not Variable Damper Control.

I rang up gapinsurance123 and asked what I should do about the insurance and they said because I purchased the comprehensive policy I just needed to give them the hand over date and the registration number of the new car and I would still have the rest of time of the GAP insurance to run on the replacement 63 plate F25 X3 xDrive30d M Sport.

It is not generally known that most if not all companies will replace the new car with like for like or better if the model your model is not produced anymore, if it is a write off in the first year. See note below.

So when purchasing the GAP insurance policy from https://gapinsurance123.co.uk/ you purchase it just before you take the delivery of the new car. Yes you pay for the policy 1 year before it starts....this is to stop fiddles and fraud. Now here is the confusing bit......

Because your insurance company covers the write off for 12 months, the new policy does not start until the end of the 12 months term and then runs for 4 years, giving you car replacement (return to invoice) for a total of 5 years.

Note. If you have a problem with coverage of 12 months write off with your present insurance company, you might need to talk to them with a view to terminating the policy and starting the new one on the day you pick up the new X3.

This is not a scam or hearsay, I am not an ex policeman I am more pedantic than them... I am an ex RAF Warrant Officer of 40 years service and very careful with what policy I purchase.

Last edited by Peter_R; 09-01-2015 at 09:26 AM.. Reason: typing error
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 09:20 AM   #7
Andy_o
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 20d Xline Melbourne Red

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3   [0.00]
Welcome to the UK gang

Gone :X1 23d Msport manual, Space/Beige Pro Nav, Adaptive zenons, privacy glass, 18's, ext storage,

Current: X3 20d Xline auto, Melbourne/Beige, Sport seats, Viz pack, heated steering wheel, Folding mirrors, privacy glass, luggage net, pro nav

Current: E85 Z4 3.0si roadster titanium/Syrah individual

Current: F31 320d touring black/black work hack
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 03:16 AM   #8
exilio
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 35d

Welcome, Dan! Congrats on the X3...I am going a little different and going X4...both are capable and awesome vehicles! Be sure to post some awesome photos of your ride!

Last edited by exilio; 09-03-2015 at 04:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 09:31 AM   #9
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Sounds like a nice Spec Dan.

I agree with Peter, don't scrimp on GAP, especially if a new car, if a used car look carefully.

I prefer a Return To Invoice policy myself, rather than replacement car, usually the same sort of price. Only because if it was at month 46 or whatever, I think I may prefer a change of car. But as Peter said, make sure it is at least replacement vehicle or Return To Invoice, basic straight GAP is a bit of a con for most. I have known people to have been sold it who have put down 50% deposit as well, which is a complete con.

The biggest concern for buyers these days is LogBookLoans, not an issue for someone buying new of course, but worth mentioning when discussing GAP as most policies don't cover it. Some are starting to apparently.
LogBookLoans don't have to be registered on the finance database, so they don't show on cars when doing an HPI, so when doing an HPI or looking for GAP products it is worth asking if they cover loss through these loans.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 11:27 AM   #10
Smithy2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d msport Auto

Welcome - I do hope that you turn the other way when any X3's drive around your neck of the woods in Wales - I was down there last month and hate your zero tolerance on breaking the speed limit. In 22 years of driving I have only got done for speeding twice, both in Wales and both for doing 33mph in a 30!!

You seem to have ticked several of the boxes that I did when I placed my order however I also declined to tick the variable damper control option - and regret it!!! It will definately be a tick on my next X3
      09-02-2015, 01:09 PM   #11
jerr529
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw X3 x28i

WELCOME DAN IM IN USA NY. Retired NYPD Emergency Service UNIT. Waiting for my X3 x28i AWD its being built as we speak.Hope to get in cou-le weeks . Dont know how long now thats i was confirmed that its in build process. Anticipation is crazy lol
Again Welcome
jerry
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 04:22 AM   #12
DAN5047
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy2014 View Post
Welcome - I do hope that you turn the other way when any X3's drive around your neck of the woods in Wales - I was down there last month and hate your zero tolerance on breaking the speed limit. In 22 years of driving I have only got done for speeding twice, both in Wales and both for doing 33mph in a 30!!
Hey - couldn't agree more. Our speed camera vans aren't run by us anymore, they all done my joe public/civilians! I got stung last year too! 61 in a 50 - right on the border so only just got a speed awareness course lucky!

Jerr529 - I share your pain, I know mine is here in the UK now, just now idea where or how long it'll take to get to dealer! hopefully not too much longer.

Any Brits here know how long their new cars took from landing at port to arriving at dealer?

I'm getting the replacement gap with car2cover now simply because it'll cover me with the added inflation of car prices in the event of a write off which is good. Just peace of mind really. Also getting their tyre insurance.

Still deciding on whether to go get the black kidney grills or not... Not sure it it'll make a little too, umm, how to put this the right way, not quite as sleek or mature looking? Whenever I think of modding grills, it brings my back to my teenage years and gross spraying my 2003 corsa grills in my dads garage...
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 07:13 AM   #13
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

Congrats on the X3! I look forward to seeing some photos when you get it!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 11:59 AM   #14
DAN5047
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

I shall post pics as soon as I get it I assure you! So hard to not keep calling the dealer, and pestering where it is now....
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 01:56 PM   #15
Andy_o
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN5047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy2014 View Post
Hey - couldn't agree more. Our speed camera vans aren't run by us anymore, they all done my joe public/civilians! I got stung last year too! 61 in a 50 - right on the border so only just got a speed awareness course lucky!

Jerr529 - I share your pain, I know mine is here in the UK now, just now idea where or how long it'll take to get to dealer! hopefully not too much longer.

Any Brits here know how long their new cars took from landing at port to arriving at dealer?

I'm getting the replacement gap with car2cover now simply because it'll cover me with the added inflation of car prices in the event of a write off which is good. Just peace of mind really. Also getting their tyre insurance.

Still deciding on whether to go get the black kidney grills or not... Not sure it it'll make a little too, umm, how to put this the right way, not quite as sleek or mature looking? Whenever I think of modding grills, it brings my back to my teenage years and gross spraying my 2003 corsa grills in my dads garage...
Mine took about ten days from arrival to getting it .. Not helped by a bank holiday weekend in the middle although it was pdi'd and prepped at Thorne and was at the dealer on the Friday but they couldn't deliver it till the Tuesday ( day after bank holiday)

Mine came direct from BMW UK so cut out the transport to dealer time

Gone :X1 23d Msport manual, Space/Beige Pro Nav, Adaptive zenons, privacy glass, 18's, ext storage,

Current: X3 20d Xline auto, Melbourne/Beige, Sport seats, Viz pack, heated steering wheel, Folding mirrors, privacy glass, luggage net, pro nav

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 01:57 PM   #16
Andy_o
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN5047
I shall post pics as soon as I get it I assure you! So hard to not keep calling the dealer, and pestering where it is now....
Did you get it from the forces team ?

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 02:00 PM   #17
Northandy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 3.0d M Sport

Welcome, I'm 7,000 miles into my x3 experience and I love it.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 02:06 PM   #18
Andy_o
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northandy
Welcome, I'm 7,000 miles into my x3 experience and I love it.
6500 on mine

Can't stop driving it !!

How are you finding the led's now it's getting dark ?

Ps ordered Mrs O a 4GC so will soon be a 2 BMW house

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 02:29 PM   #19
jerr529
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw X3 x28i

Angry Your lilling ke lol

Norhandy and andyo your killing me LOL your enjoying yours already , Dan is biting at the bit and im climbing the walls in anticipation.
jerry
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 02:49 PM   #20
Andy_o
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerr529
Norhandy and andyo your killing me LOL your enjoying yours already , Dan is biting at the bit and im climbing the walls in anticipation.
jerry
Ah but me and northandy had to wait ten months for ours !

You colonials have no idea lol

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 03:11 PM   #21
DAN5047
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_o View Post
Did you get it from the forces team ?
No mate I went to dealer direct, told them what I wanted for the price per month - and they said yes! Ended up getting just over £3000 off of the price which according to some other dealers I spoke to is outstanding
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2015, 06:02 PM   #22
Flipflop99
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 LCI 2.0d SE Auto

Hi Dan. I'm a colleague of yours in Wiltshire. Just got a 2.0d SE last week after an 8 month wait but it's really the Mrs' car so we're 400 miles into X3 ownership and all I've done is drive it from London to Bath and down the shops a couple of times. You should have gone through the forces team at Park Lane in London as I did. You'd have saved more than £3k but there are always big plus points to buying from a local dealer especially if you have any problems with it (I'm sure you won't).

Looking forward to hearing about your experiences with the new motor.
Appreciate 0