BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-28-2012, 09:50 PM   #1
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

Lightbulb PSA: Run Flat Tires - Road Hazard Policy from Pirelli Canada

I feel that BMW is trying their best to suppress public knowledge of this so I should put this out as a heads up. They don't even put those new tire pamphlets in the glovebox anymore.

Pirelli still offers a road hazard policy for run flat tires, especially useful for those that didn't pay for a separate post-sales policy with BMW Financial or the dealership.

Read about it here:

http://www.pirelli.com/tire/ca/en/ca...yres.tab?tab=7

Quote:
If a Run Flat tire becomes unserviceable due to workmanship or materials anomalies or road hazard injury during the initial warranty period, which is one year from the date of original retail purchase of the vehicle or purchase of replacement tires (purchase receipt required) or within the first 2/32” (1.6mm) of the original usable tread, whichever occurs first, the tire will be replaced to the owner at no charge for the tire.
After the initial warranty period, if a Run Flat tire becomes unserviceable due to workmanship or materials anomalies or road hazard injury, the owner must pay the cost of a comparable new Pirelli brand or PTI private brand replacement tire on a pro-rata basis. The authorized Pirelli dealer will determine the cost by multiplying the percentage of the original usable tread worn by the current dealer selling price. The owner must pay for any associated service charges, including mounting and balancing of the tire.
This Road Hazard Policy is not a warranty. PTI does not warranty that a Pirelli tire will not fail due to road hazard and does not authorize any person, including authorized Pirelli dealers, to make such a warranty.
If you have Pirelli as OEM equipment (ie., P7 all season RFTs) you can get 100% replacement free if it got damaged by nails or such within 1 year or a specific wear level. After that, it's pro-rated dependent on wear.

You have to print a copy of the Pirelli policy and show this to the dealership. Service guys will deny knowledge of this or pass this off as an issue you have to sort out on your own with Parts or Pirelli itself. You are entitled to a one for one swap. The dealership should be filing for reimbursement from BMW Canada and they in turn will claim with their supplier (who deals with Pirelli Canada).

Generally speaking, any authorized Pirelli tire dealer should process this claim for you, but Pirelli's own claim process may be cumbersome enough that if you're not their customer to begin with they won't be tempted into doing you any favors. BMW obviously has an incentive to sell RFTs at full retail therefore has suppressed any knowledge of this as well as removed documentation in the cars, and will always claim RFTs are unrepairable.

From personal experience, the only ones that knew what to do with this were the senior parts guys at BMW Mississauga and BMW Toronto. Another member was able to get Parkview to do this for them.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 12:38 AM   #2
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

Does this work in the US too?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 07:22 AM   #3
vrrooom
SES
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: 335ix'09,X3'11&911TCab

Garage List
2009 335ix  [0.00]
1987 Turbo Cab  [0.00]
2011 X3 3.5  [0.00]
Pirelli policy is the same in the us.....

Same problem with dealers however, they really want to sell you a tire. Do they then file a claim, I would bet on it. Double dipping at its best!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 08:24 AM   #4
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

As the tyres are classed as OEM equipment Pirelli would be able to refer you back to BMW for any warranty issues in the first year - so any Pirrelli policy arrangement would only apply if your purchased Pirrelli replacement tyres later.

I have had such a warranty in the past and used it but this was at a local tyre fit centre.
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 02:02 PM   #5
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

hmm, I think my car has good years??
      05-29-2012, 03:12 PM   #6
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
hmm, I think my car has good years??
Same policy for the Goodyear LS2's. Info was in the owners book in my 2011 X3.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 07:04 PM   #7
FX3OK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
I feel that BMW is trying their best to suppress public knowledge of this so I should put this out as a heads up. They don't even put those new tire pamphlets in the glovebox anymore.

Pirelli still offers a road hazard policy for run flat tires, especially useful for those that didn't pay for a separate post-sales policy with BMW Financial or the dealership.

Read about it here:

If you have Pirelli as OEM equipment (ie., P7 all season RFTs) you can get 100% replacement free if it got damaged by nails or such within 1 year or a specific wear level. After that, it's pro-rated dependent on wear.

You have to print a copy of the Pirelli policy and show this to the dealership. Service guys will deny knowledge of this or pass this off as an issue you have to sort out on your own with Parts or Pirelli itself. You are entitled to a one for one swap. The dealership should be filing for reimbursement from BMW Canada and they in turn will claim with their supplier (who deals with Pirelli Canada).

Generally speaking, any authorized Pirelli tire dealer should process this claim for you, but Pirelli's own claim process may be cumbersome enough that if you're not their customer to begin with they won't be tempted into doing you any favors. BMW obviously has an incentive to sell RFTs at full retail therefore has suppressed any knowledge of this as well as removed documentation in the cars, and will always claim RFTs are unrepairable.

From personal experience, the only ones that knew what to do with this were the senior parts guys at BMW Mississauga and BMW Toronto. Another member was able to get Parkview to do this for them.

I wish i had searched this forum prior to going to BMW dealership. Yesterday I took two nails to the rear tire..not one but bloody two almost 2 inches apart in the same area. I took x3 to dealer in the am. I was clear with the service rep that they were run flats and pointed out the nails and asked, "can this be repaired"... well.. we need to take it into shop and have technician look at it.
2 hours later i get call, they can't fix the run flat nails are too close together and can't patch. They quoted me a price of $450 + tax for a new tire! I passed...

Bummed about the tire and cost of a new one.. i decided to take the veh to a local tire garage. The manager looked at it and said they could repair it. The manager to be sure..did a search for any "Pirelli bulletins" .. and sure enough he found one that explains the warranty coverage for the run flats. Called me up and told me they would be replacing the tire with a new one!

I called the BMW dealer back and let them have it. They explained they had no idea about the bulletin.. what a load of C$%$#@! Earlier they even charged me $22 for checking the tire only to tell me that it couldnt be patched... funny how BMW tells them don't patch the run flats..yet they roll veh in to do the inspection for $22 knowing they can not repair it anyways!

This is absolute BS.. how many people have they charged for brand new tires when they are already covered! Are they taking the old tires and shipping them to Pirelli to claim the new tires?

While i was waiting at the dealership.. i overheard the service rep talking to another customer in the same situation as me... his veh was a 2013 x3 and they told them that the run flat could not be repaired...!

So glad the other garage found the bulletin. Not sure how to get the word out... hope nobody else actually pays for a new run flat.

attache Pirelli bulletin
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 002-RunFlatWarranty.pdf (23.6 KB, 327 views)
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 07:13 PM   #8
FX3OK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post

Read about it here:

Forgot to add: This warranty applies to all of North America. Check out the bulletin though, because it says ALL PIRELLI RUN FLAT TIRES.

The local tire dealer here has the new tire on order and it should arrive monday!

This post should be a sticky.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 10:43 PM   #9
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

I'll just add that my brother recently got a puncture on his F30 and he got Budds in Oakville to do it (with some convincing). It is pretty obvious that dealers will do their best to hem and haw about this shit.
Appreciate 0