BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-04-2011, 12:49 AM   #23
fiddy yen
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i Msport

one more thing...

Considering that for BMW, on most models... the M sport is only available on the faster models (ie. 35i only... not sure on the d) has to account for something. Its not like sticking "SS" on a base model cavalier from the dealership.
2006 BMW 330i - //M rep kit with custom exhaust, H&R springs, 19" VMR - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 01:38 AM   #24
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sard View Post
Like others have said, there is no M emblem anywhere on the exterior of the car, but there is questionable M symbols on the door sills and steering wheel.
Don't all the wheels have an M on them?

I couldn't care less about the whole not a real M car but I would agree M Sport is better suited to the 30d or 35d than the 20d. I'm sure very few people buy M Sport BMWs in the hope that other people think it's actually an 1M, M3, M5, X5M etc. people buy them because they like the look of them (and I would buy an M Sport if buying an X5)

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 03:59 AM   #25
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post
I have the MSport pkg by choice. I got it especially as I much prefer the exterior look of the car with the pkg, particularly the front and rear views. I also appreciate the steering wheel and the sport seats.

I like my X3 35i MSport exactly the way it is. What others say, I could care less.
Seconded.
      11-04-2011, 04:04 AM   #26
Steve30dMSport
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 30D M Sport

When all is said and done it doesn't really matter whether you have the M Sport or not when you drive the car as the outside of the car is only observed by others; not you. 99.9% of the time you interact with your car you are on the inside looking out, so doesn't it make sense to have the interior you want? Therefore what you will appreciate most is the seats and the steering wheel combo you choose, since all other internal features can be bought exclusively of the M Sport package, including the seats. So, if you are secure in your choice it doesn't matter one hoot what anybody on the outside thinks of your choice of exterior package.

Having said that, in Oz it makes sense, if you want to option up the sports components of suspension and transmission and seats, then it is more economical to buy the M Sport package than the individual components. Once i added up all my options it ended up cheaper and better to get the M Sport so it was a no brainer. We all have great cars and like our life partners, there's a different one for everyone.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 04:12 AM   #27
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I got an MSport because I prefer the look and want the sports features.
I lease my car, the MSport has higher resale value whereas adding sports seats and sports suspension etc does not so the MSport is a much better lease deal than a non-MSport with options added. In fact it's a no brainer, even if you only want the interior parts, MSport is cheaper to lease through Alphabet in the UK.
      11-04-2011, 05:01 AM   #28
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

On this side of the world Majority of msport cars have the M sticker at the back and people are more keen on the look than actual M capabilities, definitively not viewed as a poser but highlighting the more miniature M accents on the car. SO i when I order I will debage and just put one M sticker at the back, yep call me a poser, doesn't bother me.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 06:09 AM   #29
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by inamik75 View Post
On this side of the world Majority of msport cars have the M sticker at the back and people are more keen on the look than actual M capabilities, definitively not viewed as a poser but highlighting the more miniature M accents on the car. SO i when I order I will debage and just put one M sticker at the back, yep call me a poser, doesn't bother me.
poser!

You any closer to ordering inamik or still waiting on that extortionate price tag to come down?

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 06:25 AM   #30
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
poser!

You any closer to ordering inamik or still waiting on that extortionate price tag to come down?
my currency is the worst performing worldwide so indefinetly on hold till it recovers otherwise i am paying double buying now and I am not in the Charity business
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 10:32 AM   #31
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

To answer the M steering wheel question, yes the M Steering wheel can be heated with the cold weather package, works great! but the button is on the side of the steering column, very strange and inconveinent.

I am glad I got the M Package, looks amazing in red, black trim really looks sharp, now if only the kidney grills were black

My wife said she thought the 19" 369M wheels looked small, especially the back ones! I think it depends on the angle but I think the spacing in the wheel well might be bigger in the back making the wheel look smaller... the Audi Q5 offers 20" wheels (not even with S Line package) why doesn't BMW offer it (well I guess they do, $4500 option, )

I also told the dealer NOT to put on the front license plate bracket, its a law in IL to have it, but I have never been pulled over for it in any of my past sports cars, so just crossing my fingers! Hate to ruin the front bumper with the license plate!

Back to the "poser" issue, I think getting an M package on a 35i (any model) is because you like the looks but don't need/want the full blown M (if available), I don't think it has to do with being able to afford one, I mean I bought a $55K X3 M Sport, I bet when the X3M comes out it will start around that price, meaning if I really needed the "M" emblem I could have just bought a stripped one, same goes with a 335i and M3, its not an issue of affording one or not. I think most of the real "posers" are the people buying BMWs used and then switching out the badges. I personally don't give a damn what people think as long as I like my car but was curious about the subject since I see random posts here and there about it.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 11:58 AM   #32
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
To answer the M steering wheel question, yes the M Steering wheel can be heated with the cold weather package, works great! but the button is on the side of the steering column, very strange and inconveinent.

I am glad I got the M Package, looks amazing in red, black trim really looks sharp, now if only the kidney grills were black

My wife said she thought the 19" 369M wheels looked small, especially the back ones! I think it depends on the angle but I think the spacing in the wheel well might be bigger in the back making the wheel look smaller... the Audi Q5 offers 20" wheels (not even with S Line package) why doesn't BMW offer it (well I guess they do, $4500 option, )

I also told the dealer NOT to put on the front license plate bracket, its a law in IL to have it, but I have never been pulled over for it in any of my past sports cars, so just crossing my fingers! Hate to ruin the front bumper with the license plate!

Back to the "poser" issue, I think getting an M package on a 35i (any model) is because you like the looks but don't need/want the full blown M (if available), I don't think it has to do with being able to afford one, I mean I bought a $55K X3 M Sport, I bet when the X3M comes out it will start around that price, meaning if I really needed the "M" emblem I could have just bought a stripped one, same goes with a 335i and M3, its not an issue of affording one or not. I think most of the real "posers" are the people buying BMWs used and then switching out the badges. I personally don't give a damn what people think as long as I like my car but was curious about the subject since I see random posts here and there about it.
Congrats on finally getting your car, Mako.

You are VR and black leather interior same as mine, but what trim are you? Mine is the dark wave wood, but I seem to recall yours is Alum?

I left the front plate off for a while also, but got tired of worrying about it, so about 3 months ago, had the holder and plate put on - now I don't even notice it. My driving will attract enough attention, I don't need a missing front plate to add to the issue......
      11-04-2011, 01:43 PM   #33
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post
Congrats on finally getting your car, Mako.

You are VR and black leather interior same as mine, but what trim are you? Mine is the dark wave wood, but I seem to recall yours is Alum?

I left the front plate off for a while also, but got tired of worrying about it, so about 3 months ago, had the holder and plate put on - now I don't even notice it. My driving will attract enough attention, I don't need a missing front plate to add to the issue......
Yes, Aluminum trim, looks GREAT, but I do worry about scratching now. I had only seen it in photos (all the dealers always had wood trim) and I didn't realize how much aluminum there really was on the center console, its borderline insane, looks great now, but that area is going to be prone to scratches especially when my wife drives it (the car is like a junk drawer to her, my cars are always spotless).

I will post pictures tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 03:45 PM   #34
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
Yes, Aluminum trim, looks GREAT, but I do worry about scratching now. I had only seen it in photos (all the dealers always had wood trim) and I didn't realize how much aluminum there really was on the center console, its borderline insane, looks great now, but that area is going to be prone to scratches especially when my wife drives it (the car is like a junk drawer to her, my cars are always spotless).

I will post pictures tomorrow
We have aluminum trim in our X5, and yes you have to be careful with it. It will also dent very easily - especially where the seatbelt buckle knocks against it on the door panels.

Looking forward to seeing photos of your car! Put some in the M Sport photo thread!

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 05:32 PM   #35
utcadman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Garage List
For me it was about the feature set. Dont consider it a poser at all becasue no one really knows except for you. Also Carbon Black...only one way to get that....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0