BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-28-2012, 10:26 AM   #45
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

I'm not sure any of the evidence for and against the iPhone's "induction signal boost" is conclusive so my advice would be to ask BMW if you can try out an adaptor for an iPhone and then drive through the weak signal areas and see if it's any good. There have been occasions where my cradled iPhone has kept a call and the wife's uncradled iPhone has lost its signal. Far from scientific but a few people have posted saying that they think iPhone's do actually benefit from being in the cradle.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 05:45 AM   #46
ExSaabman
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25 2.0 litre diesel

Thanks for that sfax. I may well just go down the Apple route anyway & buy an iPhone plus snap-in adaptor. That would cover most reception situations for me anyway...

But it still bugs me that I have a great but (effectively) unusable roof antenna on the X3! And only because I cannot yet identify which phones (that BMW make an adaptor for) will connect directly to the roof antenna

Hence the plea that if anybody out there has a mobile + adaptor that does use the external antenna, I would be really gateful to know the phone model

I'll only use the phone for voice, so any model -old or new - would be good to know about...
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #47
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExSaabman View Post
Thanks for that sfax. I may well just go down the Apple route anyway & buy an iPhone plus snap-in adaptor. That would cover most reception situations for me anyway...

But it still bugs me that I have a great but (effectively) unusable roof antenna on the X3! And only because I cannot yet identify which phones (that BMW make an adaptor for) will connect directly to the roof antenna

Hence the plea that if anybody out there has a mobile + adaptor that does use the external antenna, I would be really gateful to know the phone model

I'll only use the phone for voice, so any model -old or new - would be good to know about...
Yep, I agree it's annoying to have this capability but for the phone/adaptor not to be able to use it.

You may be better off finding out which phones have an external aerial connection, and then seeing if BMW have a snap-in adaptor for that model. I would think a specific snap-in adaptor would make use of the phone's external aerial connection if it was available. There is no aerial information on the BMW Accessories website

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 10:34 PM   #48
Francolargo
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 50e

Garage List
2024 bmw X5 50e  [0.00]
On another thread I read about people's phones interfering with the wireless key system if the key and phone were close together. Intuitively, wouldn't routing the phone's signal through shielded cable to the shark fin REDUCE interference within the cabin? I believe so, and this may be sufficient rationale to justify the cradle - at least with some kinds of phones. I plan to buy and use the cradle, but I refuse to pay list price!

Still, the company clearly claims that the cradle improves the communication signal so I appreciate the efforts of those who have tested. There are various sources of signal degradation. I doubt that multipath interference due to buildings, etc. would be improved by a better antenna because each poorly-synched signal component would "benefit" equally.

Cheers,

Frank
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 10:01 AM   #49
colson79
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i DSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francolargo View Post
On another thread I read about people's phones interfering with the wireless key system if the key and phone were close together. Intuitively, wouldn't routing the phone's signal through shielded cable to the shark fin REDUCE interference within the cabin? I believe so, and this may be sufficient rationale to justify the cradle - at least with some kinds of phones. I plan to buy and use the cradle, but I refuse to pay list price!

Still, the company clearly claims that the cradle improves the communication signal so I appreciate the efforts of those who have tested. There are various sources of signal degradation. I doubt that multipath interference due to buildings, etc. would be improved by a better antenna because each poorly-synched signal component would "benefit" equally.

Cheers,

Frank
I have this issue if I have my key fob and phone in the same pants pocket but if I put them in separate pockets there are no problems.
      10-02-2012, 03:34 AM   #50
slyfox
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X3-20d (2013)

Quote:
I've just taken delivery of a new 2.0 litre diesel X3 (F25) and am absolutely delighted with it (coming up to 1000 miles on the clock). Absolutely brilliant vehicle!!

I am about to replace my old mobile phone too. I was looking at maybe buying an Apple 4s until, I too, realised that Apple phones do not have an external antenna connection... Asking around, I gather that few if any moblie phones marketed in the last year or so have external antenna connections.

It seems a real shame to waste the substantial signal gains in using the X3 roof antenna, especially as I live in a rural hilly area. So I am now wondering about sourcing an older new old stock or secondhand phone (with an external antenna socket) to use. But I would obviously prefer it to be a phone model for which BMW have a snap-in adaptor available...

Can anyone suggest a mobile phone model that has both an external antenna socket AND BMW snap-in adaptor for in car charging available? I understand - but have yet to confirm - that many Nokias did. Having said that, I'm not that fussed on the phone maker & if anyone actually has a phone (from whichever manufacturer) that does the job, I'd be delighted to know!

Many thanks for any suggestions :-)
Hi ExSaabman:

I don't know if this helps but i have had BMW 330D from 2004-2008.
This also had a snap-in adapter. I had two Nokia phones a 6210 and a 6310i. These both had a antenna connection on the back. this really did help with the reception when traveling in hilly or / and built up areas.
photos attached.

I believe the adapters have not changed that much so maybe the older adapters will fit in the X3
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 05:57 AM   #51
ExSaabman
Rep

Hey, that is really helpful slyfox - many thanks

Not knowing a great deal about cell phone models, I did a quick Internet search. The Nokia 6310i was clearly a well respected phone in its time and there are plenty around on eBay for very modest prices... so I reckon that is probably the route for me.

I'll confirm the adaptor compatibility and post back on this forum. I guess there will be at least some other X3 owners who are hitting the same problem - but would be happy to use an "outdated" phone if it meant optimal reception/transmission.

Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 07:15 AM   #52
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Be sure to check that your network operator allows you have 2 SIMs with the same number (if that's what you are planning to do). Some of them don't, or only allow it on business accounts

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 07:25 AM   #53
slyfox
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X3-20d (2013)

Good point sfax.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 07:41 AM   #54
ExSaabman
Rep

Yep, good point. I guess the probable need fot two telephone numbers may be a key issue/deal breaker for many people.

In my own case, I will probably keep my regular smartphone (& contract) which then will Bluetooth into the X3 in the usual everyday situations. But I will now have a second number on a pre-paid SIM in the Nokia (X3 roof antenna connected) phone which will live in the adapter.

Its maybe not a scheme that would suit most people, but at least it would mean:

a) I always have as-good-as-possible reception available
b) There will always be a charged phone available from the X3 if I don't have my usual one with me.

As the Nokia will always be in the adaptor I suppose there could be an issue with battery life reduction due to trickle charging (depending on how the charger electronics is implemented). But on the other hand, as I would seldom use it out of the adaptor, I guess that wouldn't matter much...

That's seems to about the best I can do, albeit needing a second telephone number for the in-car Nokia - which I would probably give out only to friends & family!!.

But I think I would now happily settle for this - even if its a "7 out of 10" kind of solution ;-)
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 10:07 AM   #55
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

My Grandad has the 2012 X5, and he had a Snap in Adaptor for the Nokia 6230i from an old X5. He put the snap in adaptor and used the Nokia as a 'backup' phone and he has a Blackberry connected via Bluetooth as his main phone. Problem he found was that the Nokia would connect to the system before the Blackberry therefore when he came to ring someone on his Blackberry it would dial out on the Nokia Number. In the end he ended up just taking the Nokia out.

Another solution I had was that, if you wanted two phones, just have call forwarding on the Smartphone, then if you didn't answer it would forward it straight to the phone in the car and just have one phone connected to the iDrive. Then it would just use the minutes out of your contract to transfer the call to the Nokia. That would also solve your problem of if you had no signal on the smartphone it would just divert straight away to the Nokia in the car...and you wouldn't have to give two numbers out :-)
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 02:35 PM   #56
ExSaabman
Rep

That sounds like a neat solution mtmcgavok - cheers!

Who would have guessed the subtleties involved in setting up a suitable mobile phone arrangment?

Much appreciate the comments from fellow forum members; several wrong turns already avoided I think
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 11:38 PM   #57
GenX3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

An improvement

As others have said, there is definitely an improvement with the signal strength. I live outside of great coverage so there are spots where I've learned I always lose a connection. When connected in the car, I've noticed that I will not disconnect.

It's been confirmed many many times while driving in my wife's car (with no vehicle antenna).

It's useful in areas where the wireless company, in this case AT&T, are too cheap to install cell towers properly spaced. So, if you drop calls but then get a great signal shortly after your drop (in the same area over and over)... then this antenna will likely help.

Packages | M-Sport | Cold I & II | Tech | Premium | Sound | BMW Apps, HUD, Net
Appreciate 0