BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-23-2011, 05:48 PM   #1
richardchou
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i M Sport - White

Question Mesuring Engine Oil Level!!

What's the trick to see the actually engine level measurement? Owner's manual says the car needs to be driven and the oil needs to be warm. No matter what I do, my iDrive just saying "Measuring Engine Oil Level..." I have driven the car for over an hour, park it, let it idle for 10 minutes, and it still says measuring engine oil level... I attempted several different way trying to get a reading, but no luck. What the hell is going on!?!?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 09:36 PM   #2
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardchou View Post
What's the trick to see the actually engine level measurement? Owner's manual says the car needs to be driven and the oil needs to be warm. No matter what I do, my iDrive just saying "Measuring Engine Oil Level..." I have driven the car for over an hour, park it, let it idle for 10 minutes, and it still says measuring engine oil level... I attempted several different way trying to get a reading, but no luck. What the hell is going on!?!?

Thanks!
The Oil level measurement (vertical black bar changes to green bar) should appear after driving about 4 miles in warm weather or up to 6 miles in very cold weather. You may have a problem if that's not happening.

Some early X3's had several oil level sensors and oil temp. sensors that were defective (early failures) but the ones that were reported here caused the center display to give a "oil temp or oil level measurement failure - get service" warning.

Sounds like a trip to your dealer is in order if you don't see the green bar.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 11:31 PM   #3
richardchou
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i M Sport - White

Thumbs up Thanks

I will pay them a visit, Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
The Oil level measurement (vertical black bar changes to green bar) should appear after driving about 4 miles in warm weather or up to 6 miles in very cold weather. You may have a problem if that's not happening.

Some early X3's had several oil level sensors and oil temp. sensors that were defective (early failures) but the ones that were reported here caused the center display to give a "oil temp or oil level measurement failure - get service" warning.

Sounds like a trip to your dealer is in order if you don't see the green bar.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 04:23 AM   #4
x99
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0D (F25) since 1 of April

oil level

It seems like the automatic oil check is slightly less than accurate...

It stated oil ok on the idrive. So I double check the oil with the oil stick provided on the X3 2.0 D. It was on the minimum marker , so I had to fill in about 0,5 liter for it to be ok. I have only about 5000Km on the meter..

This must be checked by BMW.. next week
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 08:01 AM   #5
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

At least you have a dipstick to check with. The petrol engines only have the electronic oil level sensor.

Did you make your "oil stick" measurement with the engine fully warmed up and with the vehicle on a flat (level) surface? If the engine is cold the "stick" reading will be low and, of course, if the vehicle is tilted slightly, the "stick" measurement will also be in error.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 03:30 PM   #6
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

DO all 20d's have a dipstick? I have a UK 20d and couldn't find it and assumed it was iDrive check only? Did I not look hard enough?!

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 05:14 PM   #7
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

sfax,

According to BMW, the European 20d engines do have a dipstick. It's on the side, snakes through a bent pipe and exits horizontally!
The 30d also has a dipstick in approximately the same location, but the tube is much straighter,
Looks like they really tried to hide the one on the 20d.

See attached drawing for the location. The oil dipstick is part number (14/15) on the drawing.
I've never seen a 20d in the flesh, so will have to take BMW's word on it.
Important: This engine uses an "O" ring seal on the dipstick tube, so the dipstick must be fully inserted to avoid oil leaks.

The petrol 28i and 35i have no dipstick port on the engine block or oil pan. The only way to measure the oil level is via the electronic sensor which mounts through a big hole centered on the bottom surface of the oil pan.

+1 point for the 20d & 30d engines
-1 point for the 28i & 35i
Attached Images

Last edited by Lotus7; 08-27-2011 at 10:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 05:23 AM   #8
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
sfax,

According to BMW, the European 20d engines do have a dipstick. It's on the side, snakes through a bent pipe and exits horizontally!
The 30d also has a dipstick in approximately the same location, but the tube is much straighter,
Looks like they really tried to hide the one on the 20d.

See attached drawing for the location. The oil dipstick is part number (14/15) on the drawing.
I've never seen a 20d in the flesh, so will have to take BMW's word on it.
Important: This engine uses an "O" ring seal on the dipstick tube, so the dipstick must be fully inserted to avoid oil leaks.

The petrol 28i and 35i have no dipstick port on the engine block or oil pan. The only way to measure the oil level is via the electronic sensor which mounts through a big hole centered on the bottom surface of the oil pan.

+1 point for the 20d & 30d engines
-1 point for the 28i & 35i
Thanks Lotus. The wife has the X3 but when it's back I'll have a proper look for it. I'll be pleased if it does because it not only backs up the iDrive reading but also means you can have a look at the state of the oil

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 01:57 PM   #9
perto
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW I3S + IX40

I found the dipstick!!! it's under the engine cover on the left hand (facing forward), rear in the engine compartment. Just pry off the engine/air filter cover and you can access it. This is the 20D engine.
Attached Images

Last edited by perto; 08-28-2011 at 02:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 03:53 PM   #10
perto
Private First Class
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
All this time I thought she was in the passenger seat saying, "Get out of their blind spot. I'd change lanes. Don't tailgate. Why"d you go so slow through there? Just park someplace."
Ha Ha, no dipstick in 35i :-)
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 03:56 PM   #11
walendvay
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 F25 28i; '13 E84 35i

Interesting observation. My 28i had it's first oil change today (at 1200mi). I drained ~ 7qts of oil out of my vehicle. I replaced it with 6. Started the engine, read the oil level from iDrive, and the oil said FULL. Shut down, added the 7th qt of oil, and it still read full.

Seems as though they've added some margin to the engine oil capacity. In other words, at least 6-7qts of oil show full.

This is probably due to customers perceiving their car is low on oil at some point between oil changes.

My E83 used a bit of oil between oil changes and the light would come on to have a check. With the F25, if they over-provision for additional "Reserve" oil in the system, you have a better chance of making it to the next service mark without needing to add oil.

Interesting as to how they skew the reading. For BMW engineering, this is brilliant, however, for the consumer, it's a bit unnerving not having a dipstick in a petrol engine.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 04:36 PM   #12
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
All this time I thought she was in the passenger seat saying, "Get out of their blind spot. I'd change lanes. Don't tailgate. Why"d you go so slow through there? Just park someplace."
Whew! You better hope she doesn't ever search this forum for one of your old posts and finds this one.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 08:51 PM   #13
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Crap, I coulda deleted it if you hadn't quoted it . . .
      08-28-2011, 08:53 PM   #14
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

. . . and I was just kidding. She has me so trained she doesn't need to say anything!
      08-28-2011, 09:39 PM   #15
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
. . . and I was just kidding. ...
It's too late to back out of it now. Once you post something on the "net" it will haunt you forever.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 03:13 PM   #16
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Found the dipstick. Thanks Lotus and perto.

@ Perto: It's a little awkward but I can access mine without removing the engine cover (same place)

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 01:54 AM   #17
perto
Private First Class
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Found the dipstick. Thanks Lotus and perto.

@ Perto: It's a little awkward but I can access mine without removing the engine cover (same place)
It's only me who like to rip things apart to have a look whats behind, had that bad habit sins I was a kid.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 02:30 AM   #18
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Found the dipstick. ...
So, how does the oil level as measured the good "old-fashioned way" compare to the fancy electronic sensor?

I really wish the N55 engine had a dipstick.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 03:39 AM   #19
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
So, how does the oil level as measured the good "old-fashioned way" compare to the fancy electronic sensor?

I really wish the N55 engine had a dipstick.
I will have a look this evening. I only looked for the dipstick last night. Not had chance to compare readings and I wanted to be as scientific as possible in keeping with the excellent and comprehensive information we get from you Lotus

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 06:40 PM   #20
Hornet_Rider
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35i 2011 M-Sport

As I was driving to work, I decided to do my weekly oil check. To my surprise, I am now getting a : MEASUREMENT INACTIVE - HAVE THIS CHECKED message and no more oil reading. I checked again on the way back and same message shows up. Anyone else had that problem? Defective sensor? Cold weather glitch?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 08:29 AM   #21
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet_Rider View Post
As I was driving to work, I decided to do my weekly oil check. To my surprise, I am now getting a : MEASUREMENT INACTIVE - HAVE THIS CHECKED message and no more oil reading. I checked again on the way back and same message shows up. Anyone else had that problem? Defective sensor? Cold weather glitch?
defective sensor
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 01:42 PM   #22
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I will have a look this evening. I only looked for the dipstick last night. Not had chance to compare readings and I wanted to be as scientific as possible in keeping with the excellent and comprehensive information we get from you Lotus
I never did this comparison of iDrive and dipstick properly until a few days ago: The car was on a flat surface and the engine was cold. I checked using the dipstick first and it showed just below the maximum at about 7/8ths of the distance between min and max. Switch on the ignition and check using iDrive and it showed exactly at the full mark. So roughly the same but I would have had more confidence in the iDrive if had reflected the dipstick reading and been at 7/8ths as well

Appreciate 0