BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-12-2012, 04:24 AM   #1
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

BMW Routes

Anyone got BMW Routes online to work recently? Continually get the following when calculating route or sending to car

Quote:
The route calculation failed because the content provider cannot be accessed at the moment. Please try again later. Your entry will be temporarily stored until you plan a new route or leave the route planner.
https://www.bmw-routes.com/uk/en/plan-routes/index.jsp

The only reason I wanted to use this method over sending individual end points via Google Maps (as I would normally) is to save two routes with multiple waypoints

On a side note, does anyone know how to stop Google Maps giving you a noddy drop down rather than a text box when sending a destination to car. You used to get a textbox that you could then change to something sensible. As it stands, the message subject (in BMW Office) is what you see in "Include" which can be useless as an identifier - as below,

Attached Images

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 04:54 AM   #2
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

I’ve found the answer to the Google Maps problem: If you are in directions mode on Google Maps:

1. right click on the map to mark a waypoint/endpoint that you want to send to the car
2. select “Add a destination”
3. left click on the newly added marker and send to car.

It then appears with a "Name" textbox rather than an "Include" drop down, so you can now edit it before you send - e.g. I've added a prefix below

Attached Images

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 09:52 AM   #3
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

And in answer to my initial question, the route engine is now working again

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 01:14 PM   #4
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

Great tool... I'm in the wrong country though.
Attached Images

12-13-2012, 01:47 AM   #5
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Has anyone ever managed to import a custom route? I've sent one to the car, can see it in the car on iDrive under BMW Routes, then I import it which is successful, and then, ... , where is it? There is nowhere under Navigation to see saved routes.

Anyone know how to get the main menu up which has "Saved Journeys" on it? I only see "Destination Input", "Address Book", "Last Destination", "Points of Interest". No good.

May have to revert to plan A which is putting the route together in the car after sending the waypoints from Google Maps - would prefer not to as this is clunky

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 11:43 AM   #6
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Has anyone ever managed to import a custom route? I've sent one to the car, can see it in the car on iDrive under BMW Routes, then I import it which is successful, and then, ... , where is it? There is nowhere under Navigation to see saved routes.

Anyone know how to get the main menu up which has "Saved Journeys" on it? I only see "Destination Input", "Address Book", "Last Destination", "Points of Interest". No good.

May have to revert to plan A which is putting the route together in the car after sending the waypoints from Google Maps - would prefer not to as this is clunky
I started looking into building my own custom route from the file you download via BMW Routes. Its a TAR.GZ and then ZIPPED file. It looks like it stores the route as GPS multi waypoints. Editting the XML file then re-zipping looks like hard work. + I couldn't find an easy GPS waypoint builder. I tried using Google Maps to produce a waypoint GPS build but it builds too many waypoints- how to thin it down to the essentials??
When I have some 'spare' time I might look into this again. I was hoping to build an excel macro to alter the xml with custom input.... time is not my friend at the moment

Example from XML...
</Address>
<GeoPosition>
<Latitude>51.52278731</Latitude>
<Longitude>-0.74266847</Longitude>
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 11:50 AM   #7
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtrick123 View Post
I started looking into building my own custom route from the file you download via BMW Routes. Its a TAR.GZ and then ZIPPED file. It looks like it stores the route as GPS multi waypoints. Editting the XML file then re-zipping looks like hard work. + I couldn't find an easy GPS waypoint builder. I tried using Google Maps to produce a waypoint GPS build but it builds too many waypoints- how to thin it down to the essentials??
When I have some 'spare' time I might look into this again. I was hoping to build an excel macro to alter the xml with custom input.... time is not my friend at the moment

Example from XML...
</Address>
<GeoPosition>
<Latitude>51.52278731</Latitude>
<Longitude>-0.74266847</Longitude>
You don't need to fiddle the XML as you can save your own custom route with multiple waypoints from the website link above and then there are two options for transferring to the car: BMW online and USB data transfer. Have tried BMW online and can see my saved routes in the car, can also import them (via ConnectedDrive - Apps - Route Import) but then can't see how they are accessible from Nav menu? The pdf below shows "Saved journeys" but I never see this option under my Navigation menu

https://www.bmw-routes.com/data/rout...ne_both_en.pdf

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 04:59 PM   #8
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You don't need to fiddle the XML as you can save your own custom route with multiple waypoints from the website link above and then there are two options for transferring to the car: BMW online and USB data transfer. Have tried BMW online and can see my saved routes in the car, can also import them (via ConnectedDrive - Apps - Route Import) but then can't see how they are accessible from Nav menu? The pdf below shows "Saved journeys" but I never see this option under my Navigation menu

https://www.bmw-routes.com/data/rout...ne_both_en.pdf
The reason for fiddling with the XML was because the mapping on the BMW Routes website was not current. I was planning a trip to France but the routing tried to take me through a city centre when there is a newish bypass. The bypass shows on Google maps. So I just wanted to tweak the route.
Question- what happens if you leave the defined route, does the sat-nav try to get you back to the next waypoint? What happens if you miss a waypoint?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 01:21 AM   #9
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtrick123 View Post
The reason for fiddling with the XML was because the mapping on the BMW Routes website was not current. I was planning a trip to France but the routing tried to take me through a city centre when there is a newish bypass. The bypass shows on Google maps. So I just wanted to tweak the route.
Question- what happens if you leave the defined route, does the sat-nav try to get you back to the next waypoint? What happens if you miss a waypoint?
On the XML fiddle, what I'm saying is you can define any number of waypoints that you like using GPS or places on the BMW website here. You can then save this as an XML route that can either be sent to the car or uploaded manually via USB. You could overwrite the XML but it would be safer to edit the way points using the website where it's validated

And on your question, the route mapping is all done by iDrive in the same way regardless of how the end points are provided. When you send a route, all you send are a sequence of endpoints that iDrive processes one at a time. If you don't follow the given route it just gets updated in the same way it does normally.

My question still remains though: If you save a custom route on the BMW Routes website, how do you access it in Navigation after importing it? I can see and import the routes but I never see the "Saved journeys" option in the pdf. Will try USB later to see if that works

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 02:57 PM   #10
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Doh! You just have to push left on iDrive to go from Map View back to the main menu and now I can see all of my imported routes as "Saved Journeys", photos and all

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #11
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
And on your question, the route mapping is all done by iDrive in the same way regardless of how the end points are provided. When you send a route, all you send are a sequence of endpoints that iDrive processes one at a time. If you don't follow the given route it just gets updated in the same way it does normally.
Sorry- just being a bit lazy here. Shouldn't the iDrive 'tick-off' waypoints as you drive through them- or do you have to manually select you want to navigate to the next waypoint. i.e. I'm driving down through France. Due to BMW maps being out of date, I drive on a brand new bypass thereby avoiding the waypoint in the centre of the town- What happens? Navigation tries to get me back to the waypoint I missed, or I have to manually select the next waypoint?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 12:59 AM   #12
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

See what you're saying but logically it would have no way to know your intent. You may have just got lost.

To speed it up you could program a shortcut key to the go to next stage button.

You need to be careful when switching profiles midway too. I've noticed some buggy route calculating after a switch. E.g. When travelling east, the new route goes west for 20 miles and then east for 20 on the same road (so you're back to where you started!) before continuing east. Totally bizarre

Appreciate 0