BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-08-2011, 05:32 PM   #23
JamesBimmer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

Sorry to hear. Good luck with your next one.

I had a similar, but less significant experience with a Subaru once. It wasn't even a special order, but when I came to pick it up I noticed that there was a small (half inch) crease in the paint on the door. It looked like someone touched up over a scratch. To make up for it, the dealer gave me an extended warranty, that was around $700 if I remember correctly.

The dealership can only do so much, but part of what they should do is pressure BMW corporate to do something since the responsibility is shared on this.

This makes me wonder what options are available for those of us that are picking up at the PDC. I already own the car (signed the paper work) and I'm not picking it up for a couple of weeks. When I do get it, they can't exactly swap it for a new one if something is wrong...
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 12:11 PM   #24
acer2974
United_States
Rep
Drives: X35i Min Silver/Black Int

Good point on the SC issue. Not sure what they would do if you pointed out a clear defect. If you refuse to accept it, would just go and put it on the truck? We are picking up in SC and intend to go over it with a fine tooth comb. I doubt they can make you accept a damaged vehicle, but I'll go over the paperwork carefully.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 09:09 PM   #25
nick776
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

I apologize for not getting back to this board. It turns out that the detail guy at my dealer was able to get the blemishes out with a special Meguiar's product. What I (and my CA for that matter) thought were bubbles were actually some sort of residue that came right off. The clear coat issues were removed with a special compound. The car is perfect and it's had my full attention since I started this post. I got an extra $500.00 knocked off the car for my trouble. This X3 replaced an 09 328i (LCI). This X3 is by far my favorite BMW I've ever had (out of 9).
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 04:52 AM   #26
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Glad to hear you have your car and it sounds like you're happy with the solution. Excellent news! Was bummed for you before.
      02-16-2011, 04:17 PM   #27
Brutus1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 x3 -Alpine white

Great news and I am happy for you!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 05:23 PM   #28
nick776
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks. Now, if only my chrome tailpipes would ever arrive. . .

By the way, the DIRAC audio system was by far worth every penny of the upgrade. I dare say it's one of my favorite features of the car and I couldn't imagine getting an X3 without it (if you care about music).
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 06:26 PM   #29
bluesmachine
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e blue/cognac

Garage List
2011 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
1998 BMW 328ic  [0.00]
DIRAC audio? by this do you mean the one and only stereo upgrade option in the US?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 06:28 PM   #30
nick776
Private First Class
Rep

Yes, it's the premium audio option. It's done by a company called Dirac Research. They actually do the audio system in the Bentley Continental GT as well as other cars. They do not actually manufacture the components, though, much like Mark Levinson does not actually manufacture the audio components in high-end Lexus audio systems.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 06:47 PM   #31
bluesmachine
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e blue/cognac

Garage List
2011 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
1998 BMW 328ic  [0.00]
When I test drove a few versions of the new X3 i was really really impressed with the upgraded stereo as well.

I heard some horror stories about BMW stereos and was really pleased.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 07:31 PM   #32
nick776
Private First Class
Rep

I prefer to listen to it with surround mode off.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 12:27 AM   #33
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick776 View Post
Yep. This is my 9th BMW since 2005. Four of those nine have been "special orders" and I've never had anything like this happen before. The other five were gotten directly from port and, still, no problems whatsoever.

I agree, I think it may be a clear coat problem. If it happened to mine, though, there could be others which were impacted. Just watch out, that's all I'm saying.

My wife has an X5 which was also a "special order" from the same plant which builds the new X3s. It arrived in a flawless condition when we got it last Summer.

My whole point, simply, is that what I saw today is nowhere near indicative of the quality I demand from BMW. What arrived at my dealer should have NEVER left the factory. It's almost as if quality control was not working on the day mine was produced (or as if they just didn't care).
I cannot believe that happened to you. I have not experienced this in either of the BMWs I previously ordered, or my new X3 that arrived last week. You should probably leverage a lower price or maybe even a nice loaner from the dealership while you wait. If it takes longer than 5 weeks (promised maximum time), then they should jump at you with thousands of dollars worth of cuts. Mine took an appalling 7.5 weeks, and after week 5 we insisted on getting a loaner, because our previous lease ended and we were renting a Ford Escape from enterprise (and we were fed up with waiting).

Bubbles and blue tape covering damage -- unacceptable. Let us know when your car comes in.

Oh wait I see you got your car...nevermind hahahaha.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 11:35 AM   #34
nick776
Private First Class
Rep

I did get money off, too, as well as a loaner for a couple of days while the issues were sorted out.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 04:26 PM   #35
LSB M
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: which one?!

paint issues

We, also, rejected our special ordered X3 last week due to paint issues.

The front bumper and door area had little bumps in the paint.

Worst, the rear quarter panel had a deep ding (paint down to metal).

Dealer offered to "spot paint" to which I said, "HELL NO".

Then dealer said, this can be re-painted, blending into the rest of the panel... I am not about to spend $50K on a new car with a re-sprayed panel on day 1!!!

In short, I walked away and had a new one re-ordered.

Very disappointed... just hope the second one will come out perfect.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 04:34 PM   #36
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSB M View Post
We, also, rejected our special ordered X3 last week due to paint issues.

The front bumper and door area had little bumps in the paint.

Worst, the rear quarter panel had a deep ding (paint down to metal).

Dealer offered to "spot paint" to which I said, "HELL NO".

Then dealer said, this can be re-painted, blending into the rest of the panel... I am not about to spend $50K on a new car with a re-sprayed panel on day 1!!!

In short, I walked away and had a new one re-ordered.

Very disappointed... just hope the second one will come out perfect.
Ouch! Another one . Very sorry to hear that. Dare I ask which colour you ordered? Is there a common V red theme here?

Will be checking all paintwork very carefully when I pick up this week. If I have to refuse it I'll be heartbroken because of the lead time to get a replacement.

I hope they can get a new one out to you ASAP

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 07:36 PM   #37
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Remember also that any BMW with more than two panels repainted cannot be a "Certified Used" or whatever they call that. Detracts substantially from resale value -- particularly if you later get a nasty enough door ding to get the panel redone just to make it look right.
      02-21-2011, 12:32 PM   #38
LSB M
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: which one?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
Remember also that any BMW with more than two panels repainted cannot be a "Certified Used" or whatever they call that. Detracts substantially from resale value -- particularly if you later get a nasty enough door ding to get the panel redone just to make it look right.
Hmm.. interesting.

There was no way I would accept a less than perfect car when I buy new, that's a given.

Just really bummed out about the 4-5 weeks extra wait time. By the time we get it, winter will be over!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 12:39 PM   #39
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

For whatever it's worth, I think you made the right call not accepting it. I'd be seriously bummed in your situation. Hope the time passes quickly for you.
      02-21-2011, 03:06 PM   #40
Marla17
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 3.5

Finally I am able to find out the brand of the upgraded stereo that I ordered. i called BMW and couldn't get an answer! Glad to hear you like it.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 07:45 PM   #41
JamesBimmer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Picked up x3 at the PDC today and it had the incorrect trim. We ordered waveline wood and it has sienna. Personal preference, but with the black leather the dark trim looks better. Dealer has given an inadequate reaponse so far, simply saying it would be really difficult and costly to change it (The PDC said the opposite when I let them know). Had a blast at the PDC, but ended on a sour note...
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 07:56 PM   #42
flash3
Captain
Rep

How do you know the car you received won't be repainted and just presented to you again at the time of pick up?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 08:01 PM   #43
jijioben
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3 View Post
How do you know the car you received won't be repainted and just presented to you again at the time of pick up?
Can always check the VIN...
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 08:04 PM   #44
flash3
Captain
Rep

Valid point!
Appreciate 0