BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-12-2013, 01:35 PM   #89
Chitown-Irish
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by noka View Post
How did you find that? Any clue why that is? I had a '06 750i driver's side door handle (w/comfort access) that drained my battery every few days. Took a while for them to locate the drain. They had to do some extensive drain tests over ~48 hr period or so but were able to finally pinpoint it. However, this was considered a h/w failure and they replaced it. I wonder if you're headlamp switch is defective, if indeed that really was the root cause. You might want to have the dealer check.
I had the same problem with my 06 750i with the comfort access door handles draining the battery (got a new battery out of it as well). They replaced all 4 handles twice under warranty until problem was solved (1st time @ 26k and 2nd time @ 42k). It was only problem I had in 130k of usage. I will not purchase comfort access again.
2011 X3 xDrive35i F25 (CPO) Space Grey/Black Leather, Packages: Premium, Cold Weather, BMW Apps, Sirius and Technology. BMW CCA Member (WindyCity Chapter). Former cars: 06 750i E65 (CPO) 07 E90 335i (bought used but had problematic iDrive so sold it to get 7-series)
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 01:47 PM   #90
noka
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 x35i M-Sport

I had the same problem with my '06 750i too! It was only the driver's door CA handle. It took them a couple of days to isolate it as the source of the (overnight) rapid current drain. After that, all was good. Hmm, I wonder if cars had the same VIN .
      03-19-2013, 11:28 AM   #91
Chitown-Irish
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by noka View Post
I had the same problem with my '06 750i too! It was only the driver's door CA handle. It took them a couple of days to isolate it as the source of the (overnight) rapid current drain. After that, all was good. Hmm, I wonder if cars had the same VIN .
Could be or twins separated at birth.
2011 X3 xDrive35i F25 (CPO) Space Grey/Black Leather, Packages: Premium, Cold Weather, BMW Apps, Sirius and Technology. BMW CCA Member (WindyCity Chapter). Former cars: 06 750i E65 (CPO) 07 E90 335i (bought used but had problematic iDrive so sold it to get 7-series)
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 06:50 PM   #92
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Be aware that BMW is playing games on their battery issues. Lawsuits are starting to fly on this issue. The BMW dealer will download your past driving information and decide if you have had too many "short" trips that will decrease the battery life. If they decide your driving record is detrimental to the battery, the dealer will decide if the battery will be covered under warranty. From internet information there does not seem to be a clear parameter to base this decision and it is not clearly stated in the manual. Owners feel that the dealers are using this to make a quick buck on what then becomes a non warranty item.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 10:47 PM   #93
dkkim
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i

My wife's 16 month old X3 35i had a battery issue.
Dealer kept her car for 3 weeks.
First week, they were sure about insufficient battery charge & spend a week.
Second week, they claimed it as special issue and requested help from BMW NA engineer and spend a week.
Third week, they were adviced to replace the battery and national wide back order.

I was lucky to get a bettry way before long due to having fully loaded brand new 535i loaner for 3 weeks.

When we pick up x3, we saw two other x3s had same issue.

Actually my wife drives it for 5 miles commute on Mon~Fri.
It is very low miles to be blamed for not enough distance for charging the battery but they were willing to replace it under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 05:24 PM   #94
gigi
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Well guys, another issue with battery in 2011 X3 F25...this evening when I turned on engine has been activated a message with caution triangle in wich I was required to introduce "hour" and the memory of miles per galon and the other screen that shows miles per galon with another indicators of trip (time from start, average speed and so on) have been reset. This appears to be a little fault with battery don't you think so?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 05:35 PM   #95
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi View Post
Well guys, another issue with battery in 2011 X3 F25...this evening when I turned on engine has been activated a message with caution triangle in wich I was required to introduce "hour" and the memory of miles per galon and the other screen that shows miles per galon with another indicators of trip (time from start, average speed and so on) have been reset. This appears to be a little fault with battery don't you think so?
Yes, the clock and computer memory seem the first to go with a weak battery. If it was just replaced, they need to check the alternator. I had one go out in a 2 year old 550i.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 10:35 PM   #96
iride4u
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35 M-Sport Dinan

I have a 2011 X3 35i with the Sport and technology packages. Last summer after a 3 week trip I was informed that the battery was low. The dealer did nothing about it. I have had the X3 in to the dealer repeatedly for issues that the Navigation screen would return to the home screen when the X3 was turned off. The same thing happens with the radio and I-Pod or USB stick. Two months ago the dealer again told that my battery was bad and replaced it but did not solve any other problems. The next week they said that the new battery was bad only to find out that it was good and something else failed. There has never been a battery problem with my X3 just a bad sensor and all the other electrical problems.
I find that the service writers will make up anything if they think that you will believe it.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #97
HighPlainsCruiser
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 XDrive35i

Thought I'd report that Princess just sat in a parking lot near the airport in Portland Oregon for 34 days, car alarm LED dutifully blinking and started up with no problems. Probably made no difference at all but I made sure the radio was turned off, the heating system turned off and the headlights flipped one notch to the right off automatic. As far as the dealers saying that previous trips were too short to charge the battery, never heard of such a problem before on any car though I'm not a mechanic- I thought the alternator was constantly charging the battery, don't quite see the big advantage to the brake regeneration, if there are such problems it's not doing much.
BTW, had a Chevy Envoy rental. When you opened a front window a wind oscillation was set up that reverberated through the cabin, the only way to stop it was to open another window. It drives and parks like a tank.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 04:17 PM   #98
stumblingtrout
Inspector Gadget
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY14 X3 35d M

Interesting that this thread has just popped up.

I got a 'you can continue driving but replace your battery as soon as possible' (or something similar) message come up on my 530d today.

No change in driving habits, 10 miles each way to work each day - which I assume should keep it ticking over nicely.

Called the dealership it was explained to me that 2011 models have a software glitch that throws this problem up when in fact the battery is just fine...

It's booked in on the 13th May to get looked at...
MY14 X3 35d M-Sport. Born 19/04/13, Delivered 31/05/13. Alpine White, Red Brown Leather, Brushed Aluminium, 19" 369 Alloys, BMW Media - Professional, Visibility Package, Access Package, Electric Seats w/ Lumbar, Variable Damper Control, Panoramic Roof, Extended Storage, HUD & Black Panel Dash, DAB, Reversing Camera & Top View, Heated Steering Wheel, Heated Rear Seats, Apps, Internet, BMW Loudspeaker Professional... & More.
Appreciate 0