BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-08-2013, 08:24 AM   #1
nl328i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e36 vert

Engine Issue- Car won't start/Smoke- Advice needed

Hi all, Looking for someone to chime in on this if they have had any experience with it.

My buddy has a 2005 2.5l X3 with about 150,000km on it.

The other day smoke started coming out of the exhaust, so he shut the car down. He tried to restart it and it wouldn't restart, but did restart with a boost. Once boosted, the smoke was still present, so he shut it down. He had it towed to his mechanic, and they suspect the head gasket.

The car has been well maintained and is in pretty much mint condition. Seems early/unexpected. My friend checked the oil after it wouldn't start (oil only changed a month ago) and it was new looking, black in colour- didn't see any contaminants.

To me it sounded like a failed CVV, but the shop thinks HG, but they are confirming now.

Anyone had a similar issue? Anyone have to replace their HG yet? What was the cost? Anyone have the failed CVV? Cost? Any an all input is appreciated.

Cheers,

Andrew

Last edited by nl328i; 01-08-2013 at 08:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #2
nl328i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e36 vert

For future reference- it was a failed CVV. Replaced it with a cold weather CVV (an option from BMW).
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 10:41 AM   #3
Mark M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30M3 E83X3 E90335D

Does your X3 see a lot of short drives that don't allow the engine to really get up to idea operating temperature? The CCV failures I've heard of are from them clogging up due to too many short trips which don't allow the condensation and oils to fully vent and separate.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 06:19 PM   #4
Xopher
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3 3.0Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
Does your X3 see a lot of short drives that don't allow the engine to really get up to idea operating temperature? The CCV failures I've heard of are from them clogging up due to too many short trips which don't allow the condensation and oils to fully vent and separate.
That's interesting and good to know. I have an eight minute commute to work and typically do not drive further then that until the weekend. Though I sometimes take the highway home (extra few minutes as it goes around my destination), it still sees a lot of short drives. With that said, what would be a good operating time to avoid such issues in the future?
Appreciate 0