BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-21-2011, 09:54 AM   #23
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
Was out with dad shopping for a new vehicle for him today and we decided to take an X3 out for a spin. I was driving. Gave it a good boot, and it did show plenty of promise with 240hp inline 6 and xdrive + 8sp, but the CEL came on right when I was slowing down for a stop sign.

When I was going to accelerate again I had zero response only to notice that the engine had cut out, so I restarted and was able to get going again without any problems since.

Has anybody else experienced this? It was quite peculiar. There was no warning or gong or anything, just that tiny little CHECK ENGINE light and the fact that the tach went to 0.

On another note - also drove an X1 2.0T and xdrive + 8sp. Drove this before the X3. It can move!
Sounds to me like some sort of random problem with this specific unit. This car may have some sort of issue with an ignition coil arcing or some sort of other ignition or DME fault. I highly doubt its anything that should make you wary of purchasing a new one.

I would just say that they dealership should fix whatever the issue is with that test vehicle.

On another topic, and you can PM me on this if you don't want to go off topic, I have been considering and X3 28i or X1 28i. How did you like one versus the other? Did the X3 have enough torque or is 2.0T in the X1 truly superior in terms of the drive? Did you miss having the straight six in the X1?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 11:12 AM   #24
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

Hi epiphone3, 2.0T torque is more noticeable. Power came early and strong. That was fun, but I like the power delivery of the i6 more.

Unfortunately I didn't get to compare the sound. I did notice the X3 had a clatter up front. Not sure if that was just on the demo (and related to a potential engine problem).

Given that the plan is to get the X3 for my dad who will be using it to shuttle his grandkids (my niece, and eventually kids of my own down the line) I do want to make sure the car is safe and reliable ... hence the inline6 inclination .. but that kinda went out of the window with this stalling problem

Ignoring that particular issue, both are good, but the X3 lives up to the market it targets (less decontenting!)
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 04:26 PM   #25
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
Hi epiphone3, 2.0T torque is more noticeable. Power came early and strong. That was fun, but I like the power delivery of the i6 more.

Unfortunately I didn't get to compare the sound. I did notice the X3 had a clatter up front. Not sure if that was just on the demo (and related to a potential engine problem).

Given that the plan is to get the X3 for my dad who will be using it to shuttle his grandkids (my niece, and eventually kids of my own down the line) I do want to make sure the car is safe and reliable ... hence the inline6 inclination .. but that kinda went out of the window with this stalling problem

Ignoring that particular issue, both are good, but the X3 lives up to the market it targets (less decontenting!)
If the criteria is Grandpa’s safe reliable shuttle for little grandchildren….why are you looking at performance vehicles? There are a lot of cheap boring options that will be safe, reliable and may have even better features for the youngsters.

I wouldn’t be concerned about the stalling. The i6 engine has been a workhorse of the BMW line for many years and other than HPFP’s in the turbo models it has been one of the most reliable engines out there. If you are looking for an engine that has never had a problem on any car in the last 10 years, or a car that has never had a problem….good luck finding it.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 05:26 PM   #26
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harplayr View Post
If the criteria is Grandpa’s safe reliable shuttle for little grandchildren….why are you looking at performance vehicles? There are a lot of cheap boring options that will be safe, reliable and may have even better features for the youngsters.

I wouldn’t be concerned about the stalling. The i6 engine has been a workhorse of the BMW line for many years and other than HPFP’s in the turbo models it has been one of the most reliable engines out there. If you are looking for an engine that has never had a problem on any car in the last 10 years, or a car that has never had a problem….good luck finding it.
+1 to those comments.
      07-21-2011, 07:43 PM   #27
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

hm. It's not quite a performance vehicle but it's nice and he doesn't need or want to drive a land barge (minivan, MDX, etc) so the X3 would fit the bill, and it'll give him something he'll like after years of sacrifice.

Besides, the point of the post was not about the validity of using the F25 as a babyshuttle but to find out whether or not there might be a safety issue. Given that my E90 has the same base engine, which has been a solid companion I hope that the I6 lives up to its legacy. Pretty sure what I experienced was a one off, but I would want to make sure before I risked one of my own. By the reactions of the forum it seems that this might have been a glitch, so I'm going to visit other BMW dealerships to try out other demos in the mean time (and if you read the attachment I put up a few posts back, salesdude has 0 clue)

Last edited by pokerface; 07-21-2011 at 07:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 09:09 PM   #28
NYC_340i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i xDrive, '11 X3 28i

Weird, I test drove a 35i and it was making a lot of noise when the A/C was turned on/off and after the engine stopped.( possible the electronics turning off?) On the outside, it sounded like a screeching halt of the motor or something. We brought a 28i and the car seems good but it too is making that noise from the A/C and after the car is stopped.
Appreciate 0