BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-23-2013, 04:03 AM   #1
djdewet
Enlisted Member
South Africa
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 3.5i

Angry BMW Connected App for Android on Google Play

So, I was wondering when BMW was going to release the Connected App for Android, seeing as all the media hype said July 2013. So I wondered on over to the app store and typed in BMW Connected, and low and behold, there it was.

However, my enthusiasm was short lived when I read the description (For this app to work, your BMW must have been produced after July 2013 (Model year 2014)). Bummer, the next thing I noticed is that it is currently only working on the Samsung Galaxy S4 and LG Nexus 4. At least I matched some of the criteria (I have a Samsung Galaxy S4). I decided to download it anyway, and give it a whirl in my 2013 X3, seeing as I know for a fact that the Apps option work just fine in my vehicle with an IPhone.

Unfortunately I have not been able to make it work . I really hope BMW will be providing a software update for the car to make older vehicles with Apps (6NR) Option compatible with this.

Also, currently the app only has Facebook, Calendar, Wiki Local, News and Audio Player. According to the description on the site more services will be added soon, so I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

Anyway, if BMW does not release a software update to make this compatible I really think they dropped the ball on this one, as I can honestly not see how it can be anything more than a software change to allow it to work on older models, seeing as they provide exactly the same functionality with iPhones.
Mineral Silver F25 X3 3.5i AT, Oyster/Black/Wave wood trim interior, 307 style wheels, Prof Navi., Moon/Sun Roof, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Auto tailgate, X-Line, Perf. Control, Apps, BMW Live, Top View, Prof. HiFi, Sports Seats, Elec. Tow Hitch, High Beam assist
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 09:10 AM   #2
EvilGenius
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3

I share in your distaste of BMW not having any kind of update path for what is nothing more than a software update. Send a note to, or telephone BMWNA and convey your disappointment in them. It is the only way we as customers will shame them into doing the right thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdewet View Post
So, I was wondering when BMW was going to release the Connected App for Android, seeing as all the media hype said July 2013. So I wondered on over to the app store and typed in BMW Connected, and low and behold, there it was.

However, my enthusiasm was short lived when I read the description (For this app to work, your BMW must have been produced after July 2013 (Model year 2014)). Bummer, the next thing I noticed is that it is currently only working on the Samsung Galaxy S4 and LG Nexus 4. At least I matched some of the criteria (I have a Samsung Galaxy S4). I decided to download it anyway, and give it a whirl in my 2013 X3, seeing as I know for a fact that the Apps option work just fine in my vehicle with an IPhone.

Unfortunately I have not been able to make it work . I really hope BMW will be providing a software update for the car to make older vehicles with Apps (6NR) Option compatible with this.

Also, currently the app only has Facebook, Calendar, Wiki Local, News and Audio Player. According to the description on the site more services will be added soon, so I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

Anyway, if BMW does not release a software update to make this compatible I really think they dropped the ball on this one, as I can honestly not see how it can be anything more than a software change to allow it to work on older models, seeing as they provide exactly the same functionality with iPhones.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
Rogerbu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 GO1 30e M Sport

Can't get it to work with a LG Nexus 4 and a 2012MY - shame
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

I am amused that BMW have finally found out that there are other phone OS besides Apple... They made a wrong choice and need to catch up quick as at present they look kinda stupid not supporting Android which is a much more popular OS!
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 06:25 PM   #5
EvilGenius
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerbu View Post
Can't get it to work with a LG Nexus 4 and a 2012MY - shame
Correct, it will work only on a 2014 model that has a July 2013 build date. Out of luck for those that have a 2014 prior to July 2013 build.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 06:26 PM   #6
EvilGenius
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by plymjack View Post
I am amused that BMW have finally found out that there are other phone OS besides Apple... They made a wrong choice and need to catch up quick as at present they look kinda stupid not supporting Android which is a much more popular OS!
Send a note to BMW. Enough owners screaming will encourage action on their part.
Appreciate 0