BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-07-2013, 06:10 AM   #1
TheMessengerImage
Rep
Drives: 2013 X-3

2013 problems...

I will keep this short two weeks ago we had a very similar error pop up on our x3 with 6k miles on it an then last night we get it again an then it went away later that night? Prior to this when the headlights were set to auto one fog light would be on an the other off (fog light button was off) what is going on here? Anyone else have these issues? (Can't add photo)
But it says "4x4 chassis stabilization drive moderately
Take to the nearest BMW service center or call"
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 06:48 AM   #2
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

The chassis stabilization message is reason to take it to the dealer. There could be many causes, ranging from a low battery to the failure of a module that will need to be shipped in fom Germany.

The fog light issue could be normal. Is it only happening while you're turning, and on the side that you're turning towards?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 08:41 AM   #3
TheMessengerImage
Rep

No the fog light issue was on even in park so not sure what that is all about. An I know that the last time this happened it was a bad solenoid an they had the x3 for over a week to have the part shipped in. So not sure what this is about but it's so frustrating I have a 330 an have had no issues for years an yet this one an its been in the shop so many times.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 09:24 AM   #4
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
fog light off - if u steer to left , left fog light turns on if you steer right, right fog light goes on. when shift into R fogs light turn on, when you shift into D, fogs light turn off.

fog lights on- stay on no matter what u do or steer in any direction
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 09:30 AM   #5
colson79
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i DSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMessengerImage View Post
No the fog light issue was on even in park so not sure what that is all about. An I know that the last time this happened it was a bad solenoid an they had the x3 for over a week to have the part shipped in. So not sure what this is about but it's so frustrating I have a 330 an have had no issues for years an yet this one an its been in the shop so many times.
That's normal if you have adaptive lighting. If you push the fog light button then both fog lights will be on. If you don't actually turn the fog lights on by pushing the button and you have automatic headlights turned on with the adaptive headlights only one fog light will turn on when you are in park.

According to the owners manual on page 82, "To avoid blinding on coming traffic the Adaptive Light Control directs light towards the front passenger side when the vehicle is at a stand still." And since the fog lights are turn on and off depending on the direction of the adaptive lights that is why you only see one light on when parked. If you started driving straight the light would go out and neither fog light would be on. The only way to have both fog lights on is do push the button.
      01-07-2013, 12:40 PM   #6
TheMessengerImage
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by colson79
Quote:
That's normal if you have adaptive lighting. If you push the fog light button then both fog lights will be on. If you don't actually turn the fog lights on by pushing the button and you have automatic headlights turned on with the adaptive headlights only one fog light will turn on when you are in park.

According to the owners manual on page 82, "To avoid blinding on coming traffic the Adaptive Light Control directs light towards the front passenger side when the vehicle is at a stand still." And since the fog lights are turn on and off depending on the direction of the adaptive lights that is why you only see one light on when parked. If you started driving straight the light would go out and neither fog light would be on. The only way to have both fog lights on is do push the button.
Thank you for your help Colson.
I called the dealership an was asked to bring the x3 in today so they could check an see what's going on with all of these warnings. I will keep you all posted on the results.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 05:33 PM   #7
QTPie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D M Sport

Quote:
I will keep this short two weeks ago we had a very similar error pop up on our x3 with 6k miles on it an then last night we get it again an then it went away later that night? Prior to this when the headlights were set to auto one fog light would be on an the other off (fog light button was off) what is going on here? Anyone else have these issues? (Can't add photo)
But it says "4x4 chassis stabilization drive moderately
Take to the nearest BMW service center or call"
I had this error message once (morning start up). It stayed on for the short (10 minute) journey, then disappeared and didn't reappear on next start up.

Car was maybe 5 months old (and about 5k miles?).

I phoned the dealer and they said if I got the same error message again to call again and take it in.

QT
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #8
TheMessengerImage
Rep

Qt I was told to bring it in.. An they still have the car..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 02:14 PM   #9
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

It's most likely to be a red herring caused by something like a low battery. I had it once, BMW did a full reset and charged the battery and it never came back

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=498221

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 02:23 AM   #10
TheMessengerImage
Rep

Well I got a call last night from the service center an they said it was a software update? I not sure what took so long to come up with that solution but alright...
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 10:02 PM   #11
DGDuerr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 28i

"4x4 chassis stabilization drive moderately"

Got the same message about 4 weeks ago. Without checking it out, the service rep told me that is could be a simple update of the software, or it could mean that the transmission was defective. After checking it out, it was a software update, that took about 4 hours. Sounds like it was a software flaw....since they updated, I have not had this error message pop up again.
      01-14-2013, 09:24 AM   #12
DGDuerr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 28i

In a previous life I was a systems engineer / software developer; the complexity of these systems is daunting. I'd rather be safe than sorry, but logic tells me that no matter how much preliminary testing is done on these systems (before releasing into the real world), there is nothing better than the every-day real life use to catch the bugs. Oink, oink. Honestly, I expected it on my vehicle as I ordered it with just about every bell and whistle available. My concern is that with age, will issues accelerate, or be put to bed?

I've had my X3 since October 2011, two errors have been generated. One for the xenon light system failure, and this one - the 4X4 error... both required a simple "firmware" or software updates.

My only gripe is the length of time it takes to update, the last being every bit of 4 hours. I would think that with technology today, this should be no more than 1 hour, but hey, what do I know?