BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-21-2016, 12:53 PM   #1
Jasboarder05
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 28i

new drone/ hum from rear after new tires.

I recently replaced the OEM tires on my 2013 BMW X3 28i. While driving my car home from the tire installer I noticed a drone or hum from the rear of the vehicle. I thought originally it was tire related but after driving it a little more it is not the tires. The sound starts at around 35 mph and is loudest at 60 mph. It seems to be coming from the driver side rear wheel. The sound is unchanged when changing road surfaces. So far, BMW dealer and another mechanic suspect it is a wheel bearing. However, I find it strange that this noise emerged directly after the new tire install. Is it possible the brake caliper or part the brake assembly was damaged during the tire install causing the new noise? Thanks in advance for your help.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2016, 02:02 PM   #2
Jasboarder05
Rep

Well after getting some other opinions from mechanics, it seems to be a wheel bearing after all. I went to BMW Dealer and they are supposedly willing to inspect and resolve the issue as if it were under warranty (goodwill). It goes into the shop 12/2 for diagnosis of the sound (most likely bearing) and resolution. Will post back with the results.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2016, 04:25 PM   #3
malicem3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3

What's your current mileage? I also find it a bit odd this occurred almost immediately after the tire install.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 04:16 PM   #4
Jasboarder05
Rep

The BMW service department ran diagnostics and found that both rear wheel bearings were making noise. Both of the rear wheel bearings were replaced which seems to have resolved the issue. I am very surprised that both rear wheel bearings went bad with such few miles. However, Zimbrick BMW (Madison, WI) covered the full replacement of both bearings despite our car being outside warranty (4.5 years since purchase).
Appreciate 0