BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-13-2011, 10:05 PM   #23
andrewbmw
Rep
Drives: x3 28i

Of course I care! But hey, what can you do about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post
I bet the risk of your beloved group being hit by a drunk driver is way higher than a radiation risk on Japanese parts.....but of course, that's one of the risks you don't care about.

I think you are misguided - but it's your life. Happy hunting.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 12:54 AM   #24
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

The shortage and delay in components from Japan is almost solely down to power supply issues across the country because they are missing one power station and lost a lot of infrastructure. It has nothing to do with contamination.

People are scared of radiation because it can cause cancer and it's invisible but most people don't understand it properly. Do some research on Wiki. You might be surprised. I remember being surprised at just how few people actually died as a result of Chernobyl (where the radiation was much more widespread) and just how many people contract lung cancer every year as a direct result of radon gas. Wiki "Radon" and you'll see what I mean.

You really would have to eat components that were produced right next door to the reactor to increase your risk to a level even worth considering.

It's great that you want to protect your family but what people are trying to tell you is that in this case, there is nothing to protect them from.

On a practical level it's a futile exercise anyway because it's also almost impossible to avoid contact with Japanese electronic components because of the way that global supply chains work. BMW can't tell you because they probably don't know. And it's not just cars of course. They'll be everywhere in 1000s of different devices and you'll have no idea.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 12:59 AM   #25
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Do some research on Wiki. You might be surprised. I remember being surprised at just how few people actually died as a result of Chernobyl (where the radiation was much more widespread)
Its not the dying that worries me, it is the growing extra limbs and mutations for future generations but that is the lot for the locals exposed in the immediate area not the paranoid accros the globe

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 01:33 AM   #26
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMMER UK 76 View Post
Its not the dying that worries me, it is the growing extra limbs and mutations for future generations but that is the lot for the locals exposed in the immediate area not the paranoid accros the globe
Yeah, true, but again most of that is media hype. I watched a program on the wildlife living only 1km from the Chernobyl plant expecting to see everything dead and the odd 3-eyed fish a la Springfield in The Simpsons. On the contrary, the wildlife thrives, there is a full food chain and there are even some very fragile species that would struggle to survive anywhere.

Thyroid cancer is a very real problem for those that ingest radiation however but this isn't something for anyone other than the locals to be concerned with and I hope that the Japanese government does everything to support them

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 06:57 AM   #27
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Quote:
Yeah
Should we salute you now you are a Lt Col.

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 09:23 AM   #28
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMMER UK 76 View Post
Should we salute you now you are a Lt Col.
Is there are salute smiley?

I'm a bit concerned that the wife might see the number of posts and use it to ban me from using XBimmers, or worse as grounds for divorce citing unreasonable behaviour. To be fair, she'd have a solid case

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 08:16 PM   #29
andrewbmw
Rep
Drives: x3 28i

Hello sfax, really appreciate your posts and they are helpful. Your wife should be really proud of you,

Quote:
The shortage and delay in components from Japan is almost solely down to power supply issues across the country because they are missing one power station and lost a lot of infrastructure. It has nothing to do with contamination.

People are scared of radiation because it can cause cancer and it's invisible but most people don't understand it properly. Do some research on Wiki. You might be surprised. I remember being surprised at just how few people actually died as a result of Chernobyl (where the radiation was much more widespread) and just how many people contract lung cancer every year as a direct result of radon gas. Wiki "Radon" and you'll see what I mean.

You really would have to eat components that were produced right next door to the reactor to increase your risk to a level even worth considering.

It's great that you want to protect your family but what people are trying to tell you is that in this case, there is nothing to protect them from.

On a practical level it's a futile exercise anyway because it's also almost impossible to avoid contact with Japanese electronic components because of the way that global supply chains work. BMW can't tell you because they probably don't know. And it's not just cars of course. They'll be everywhere in 1000s of different devices and you'll have no idea.
Appreciate 0