BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-22-2012, 03:00 AM   #1
sids911
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3, 3 GT

Arrow Retrofit Bluetooth streaming music on X3 xDrive28i?

So I just picked up my custom ordered X3 after waiting 2 months for it. Only to realize "Bluetooth standard" is actually "Bluetooth castrated" - I can't play music over Bluetooth to the car!

Anyway, the rest of the car is simply brilliant. I was going to get the X5 Diesel but nuked that option after driving the 2013 X3 xDrive28i (which is a HUGE improvement on the 2012 X3s that I dismissed 5 months back). I'll probably post another thread with my very favorable driving experience but for now I want to get Bluetooth streaming audio onto the music system. BMW South County has already confirmed that I cannot retro fit the factory option since, well, it's factory only option. A resourceful sales guy there is looking at other 3rd party alternatives but I thought I'd question the collective knowledge here.

Given how integrated the stereo/steering wheel and iDrive are, what are my option in getting Bluetooth streaming for the car? I'd rather not spoil the clean stock look on the interiors so a cable/harness in the back or a bluetooth -> 3.5mm audio adaptor or something would be best.

What do you guys think?

Cheers
Sid

EDITS:
Aug 28th 2012:
I ordered the Belkin F8Z492TTP (http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F8Z492T.../dp/B0047T79VS). It's made for in-home use (i.e. no internal battery) but that's a bonus because it turns on everytime the car turns on (vs press-a-button-for-5-seconds). The audio out from the Belkin goes into the audio IN for the BMW. I'll update the experience when I get it.

Background story
==========
I thought the car spec'd EXACTLY as I wanted until I visited them today for possession and discovered that I CANNOT have bluetooth streaming audio on it! I need to physically connect the iPhone via USB or Aux audio to get music into the stereo ... so much for 2013. The whole thing was highly misleading with the "Bluetooth Standard" marketing all over the X3 marketing material. And although the sales staff at BMW South County (San Diego) were polite, NONE bothered to explain this nuance leading to a buyer beware or product distrust situation. My wife who was very upset with the "Bluetooth standard" advertising likened it to an "ISP advertising internet access but then suggesting 'google.com' is an extra add-on feature". IMHO, for a 2013 model at $50k, in this day and age it's ridiculous to NOT be able to stream bluetooth audio. Cutting edge ... not.

Last edited by sids911; 08-27-2012 at 06:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 04:06 AM   #2
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

I think you have 6NF rather than 6NK so you have no combox. If that's the case, a retrofit would involve buying and installing a combox and then doing some wiring and some coding. It isn't straightforward.

I would say it's really not worth it only to get BT audio streaming. You still need a physical connection to charge the device and BT audio is OK but can be a bit annoying. E.g. if you pair for BT audio and then later use USB audio (maybe just because you wanted it plugged in to charge), you lose the BT audio pairing and you need to re-pair it.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 11:34 AM   #3
sids911
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3, 3 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
you lose the BT audio pairing and you need to re-pair it.
Wow! That's nuts. Considering cars have so much consumer electronics in them nowadays, BMW should really hire some user experience/user interface people from Apple to work for them. Really feels that an engineer just went over a check list of features without thinking much how the consumer will consume the (electrical) products. I'm not hating engineers (I'm an engineer/businessman too), but there are better trained people for customer experience than engineers.

Of course, on the driving side, it's such a beauty!! It handles SO well for an SUV - much better than many sedans I've driven!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 11:45 AM   #4
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post
BMW should really hire some user experience/user interface people from Apple to work for them.
iDrive interface for browsing music is another example. Hopeless UI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post
Of course, on the driving side, it's such a beauty!! It handles SO well for an SUV - much better than many sedans I've driven!
And that's what matters most so we forgive their shortcomings on the entertainment tech

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 11:45 AM   #5
attagirl
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3

Sids911 - did you ever try the Belkin F8Z492TTP (http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F8Z492T.../dp/B0047T79VS)? I am a new X3 owner and am faced with the same dilemma. Thanks!
Appreciate 0