BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-12-2011, 10:25 AM   #1
PIEZON
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: In The Market For A New One

X3 35i M Sport - Love this vehicle!

Hello everyone,

I have had a long twelve months of comteplating the purchase of this vehicle. I came from two X5s (4.4 and 4.8). On the day of delivery my X3 35i was parked right next to a 2011 X5 M Sport w/ 20" wheels. At that moment I had a strong case of regret! I wished I had went with the X5 even though it would have been like $23k (My X3 35i is loaded at about $58k. I would have loaded the X5 to about $81k.) more the way I would haved spec'd it out. For me the X5 would have been a very emotional decision in terms of going beyond practical. You just can't beat the X5 from a looks standpoint it is an awesome vehicle. Especially with the 20" wheels!

About two weeks in and for me this vehicle fits my needs very well. Most of the time it is me driving. We are a family of three so when we go out there is plenty of room. I always liked the utility of an SAV. From a looks and performance standpoint this vehicle is great!

As some members have mentioned "quality of materials" I agree with that statement. I can live with the interior quality because it looks nice, very similar to a 3 series, very acceptable (what I would expect from a vehicle that is $23k less than the X5 I wanted). Under the cargo liner floor - storage area and wheel wells. Those are places that I really feel should be more rigid and better material. Here is where the X5 really demonstrated better, noticeable quality. I can't imagine how the cardboard in the wheel wells will hold up over time. Really my only issue. I can live with it but hope it stands the test of time.

I recently got the 20" wheels and overall really, really happy with my purchase and the practicality of it. Comfortable and a lot of fun to drive. technology is great. Everything I would need and then some. Interior is quiet. From a gas and insurance standpoint it will be less expensive to operate as well which is a plus.

Thanks to all for your feedback and guidance to help me with my decision!
      09-12-2011, 11:54 AM   #2
chillychan
Second Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 335xi

Nice! Glad you are enjoying it. Looking forward to picking mine up soon.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 02:44 PM   #3
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

As much as I love my X3 I'm forever sorry it's not as nice as the X5. I dare not park my X3 next an X5; the only time I find myself next to one is when I'm prepared to have a stoplight race as it is the X3's only properly competitive candle to hold. Sometimes I wonder about the lessons this choice is supposed to teach me about appreciating what I have and not longing for what could have been or could be, but then I wonder why I feel like I have to validate or justify the $60,000 I spent. So I choose to enjoy the X3 for all it offers and all I can take from it. There is nothing for which BMW praised the car that it does not do well.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 03:24 PM   #4
PIEZON
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: In The Market For A New One

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
As much as I love my X3 I'm forever sorry it's not as nice as the X5. I dare not park my X3 next an X5; the only time I find myself next to one is when I'm prepared to have a stoplight race as it is the X3's only properly competitive candle to hold. Sometimes I wonder about the lessons this choice is supposed to teach me about appreciating what I have and not longing for what could have been or could be, but then I wonder why I feel like I have to validate or justify the $60,000 I spent. So I choose to enjoy the X3 for all it offers and all I can take from it. There is nothing for which BMW praised the car that it does not do well.
I agree the X3 looks great until next to an X5 (esp w/ 20" wheels!). If I could go back in time I probably would have went with X5. But like you accepting, appreciating and moving on! Until X3M comes out!
      09-12-2011, 03:36 PM   #5
chillychan
Second Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 335xi

LOL never mind.
Appreciate 0