BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-12-2017, 07:08 AM   #1
AlphaMendoza
Admiral
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 LCI 20D

UK Extended Warranty - is it worth it?

The time has come....

My X3 LCI 2.0D is coming up for 3 years old now.
I have just had a BMW Warranty check, MOT, 2 recalls (IsoFix & EGR replacement) and second service under the 5 year plan.

Car has done 36,000 miles without any problems.

I hope to keep the car for another 2 years at least, and the big question is should I go for the rather expensive BMW extended Warranty running at about £500 pa ??
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 07:25 AM   #2
Andy_o
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 20d Xline Melbourne Red

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaMendoza View Post
The time has come....

My X3 LCI 2.0D is coming up for 3 years old now.
I have just had a BMW Warranty check, MOT, 2 recalls (IsoFix & EGR replacement) and second service under the 5 year plan.

Car has done 36,000 miles without any problems.

I hope to keep the car for another 2 years at least, and the big question is should I go for the rather expensive BMW extended Warranty running at about £500 pa ??
I have taken it out on my two previous new BMWs

On one it payed for itself with one warranty repair and one the other I never used it ( only kept them about 18 months after warranty period)

I have the used warranty on my "old" BMW which has had nearly £3k of warranty over the last couple of years

The point for me is ...

These cars can throw up random large bills

and for me I prefer to play safe with it

Gone :X1 23d Msport manual, Space/Beige Pro Nav, Adaptive zenons, privacy glass, 18's, ext storage,

Current: X3 20d Xline auto, Melbourne/Beige, Sport seats, Viz pack, heated steering wheel, Folding mirrors, privacy glass, luggage net, pro nav

Current: E85 Z4 3.0si roadster titanium/Syrah individual

Current: F31 320d touring black/black work hack
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 08:00 AM   #3
PerryGunn
Idiot-in-chief
Rep
Drives: around: in: circles:

Garage List
IIRC, they also offer a rolling monthly payment option

Sometimes this is a bit easier to stomach than the one-off payment and has the advantage that you can keep it going until you sell/trade-in the car and then stop it immediately rather than effectively losing the money paid for the remainder of that year with the annual warranty
      05-12-2017, 12:14 PM   #4
Andy_o
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 20d Xline Melbourne Red

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryGunn View Post
IIRC, they also offer a rolling monthly payment option

Sometimes this is a bit easier to stomach than the one-off payment and has the advantage that you can keep it going until you sell/trade-in the car and then stop it immediately rather than effectively losing the money paid for the remainder of that year with the annual warranty
Yep that's what I did with mine

Not too much .. I think it was about £40 pcm including European emergency service with a £100 excess

But I do take my X3 abroad about 7-8 times a year .. so I thought it well worth it

Gone :X1 23d Msport manual, Space/Beige Pro Nav, Adaptive zenons, privacy glass, 18's, ext storage,

Current: X3 20d Xline auto, Melbourne/Beige, Sport seats, Viz pack, heated steering wheel, Folding mirrors, privacy glass, luggage net, pro nav

Current: E85 Z4 3.0si roadster titanium/Syrah individual

Current: F31 320d touring black/black work hack
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 12:08 AM   #5
Crassus
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 19' G20 X3 20i & 19' M140i

German cars are reliable but out of warranty they can cost arm and leg to repair. Don't extend if you like to roll dice and can stomach an unexpected £4000 repair job, if not then extend for a peace of mind.

A colleague of mine recently had a faulty reverse light on his E92. He thought it was going to be a simple fix but BMW said the light is linked to the gearbox and it would cost £600+ to diagnose and fix.

As others have advised, paying monthly is a good option.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 03:06 PM   #6
AlphaMendoza
Admiral
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 LCI 20D

Thumbs up Thanks for the replies

Thanks for all replies Andy O, Perry Gunn & Crassus!
I think I need to take this extended warranty for peace of mind - and the monthly option looks good now!

Cheers Guys!
Appreciate 1
Andy_o76.00
      05-17-2017, 10:18 PM   #7
96_Impreza
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 96 Impreza,07 Vette,11 X3 35i

We bought Extended Warranty and Extended Maintenance on our new 2011 X3 35i, now at 93K miles, and often wonder how we made out. Unfortunately (or fortunately), when the car is serviced or repaired under the Extended policies, Labor and Parts cost on the invoice is all zeros making analysis of avoided cost versus initial out-of-pocket costs difficult. I suppose it could be done but it would be tedious.
So I've been happy knowing that the initial out-of-pocket cost has bought us a whole lot of zeros over the years.
Appreciate 0