BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-22-2016, 03:02 PM   #1
hoho_leung
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3

Gasoline and diesel comparison

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
HI all,

I own a 2014 X3 with gasoline N20 engine in the U.S. Recently I have a chance to try a 2016 X3 diesel. To my surprise, diesel is faster and better.

When I drive my N20 engine, the first and second gear seems to be very slow. I need to hit the gas pedal very hard to pick up the speed. To stop the car, I also need to hit the brake harder than my old car which is a 2014 Nissan Altima and Scion XB. This bimmer is my first SUV. So I though this is how SUV is supposed to be.

But when I drove the diesel, I can definitely tell the first two gear accelerate much faster. Brake is also more responsive. So good that I want to race.

I am not sure if there is something wrong on my bimmer or not. I purchased it at 26000 miles, and I only drove for 1000 miles so far. I cannot compare the condition when it was new. But I cannot believe I need to step so hard and so deep to accelerate and stop the car.

Any comment?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 03:30 PM   #2
exon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i Jet Black!

Diesel has way more torque than the gas engine, wouldn't surprise me if it feels faster at low engine speed (despite the gearing difference).

Off the line and before the turbo spools up (takes ~1 seconds from idle), the 2.0 engine has to manage around 4000lbs of car.

Compare to a regular family sedan where 2.4 engine handles ~3500lbs of weight and also probably more aggressive gas pedal than BMW tuning.

The braking difference does surprise me....
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 12:12 AM   #3
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

The sluggish respons at startup is due both to limited torque in N20 and programming of AUTO - if AUTO. IF AUTO with Sport there is a significant difference.

Brakes should be same - mine has very good brake feel and performance. Note: as long as brakes can trigger ABS, they are OK - rest is brakepedal feel and ability to control brake power.

The way to go is NOT diesel - it is N55
Appreciate 0