BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-01-2018, 11:13 PM   #1
Insane1197
X3 owner since 2013
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3

2011 X3 Oil housing gasket removal

Just replaced inner and outer gaskets to oil housing unit. Dealer quoted me $969. I replaced them for $90 OEM (could have bought them aftermarket for $25). Job went OK, about 4 hours. Toughest bolts to remove: back bolt of oil housing unit, blocked by engine manifold and the back bolt to the engine manifold....which needed to be removed so you could remove manifold to get to oil housing bolt. FYI: you need star sockets to remove housing, or 8mm socket, both work. You have 3 bolts to remove to take off oil cooler attached to oil housing unit....then 3 more to remove oil housing unit from engine. The outer gasket is located between cooler and housing unit (easy to remove and replace), the inner gasket is between housing unit and engine...this takes a while.
Major points of interest: the back bolt to engine manifold cover is hard to get to and you can't see it.....but you can feel for it and remove it...have patience.
Once you remove all 7 manifold bolts, lift off the manifold as far as you can....you might only be able to get it off an inch because manifold is still attached to a boat load of other stuff underneath.....but an inch will do.
You only need an inch so you can get to back bolt of oil housing unit.
Here's the big trick: a 3/8"drive socket is too big to get into this spot, I used 1/4" drive with a 8mm socket (my star socket was 3/8" drive and was too big). I could barely get my extension to grip the socket but it worked. You only need to get it started, then use a flat head screw driver to turn the socket head......it is really a tight fit but doable.
FYI: I don't claim to be a mechanic but I fixed it. I love saving $900 in 4 hours of work.....and so does my wife
Ps...messy job...keep plenty of rags under housing to catch fluids, and a large pan under front of car. Good idea to remove bottom radiator hose and change out fluid before tackling job....just don't forget to replace it.
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2018, 06:41 PM   #2
BIG_KID
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i

Good job.. Spend that money on something else
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 11:26 PM   #3
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
If i had your skills i may still have my F25.
Appreciate 0