BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-14-2013, 01:31 PM   #45
noka
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 x35i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellboy View Post
This one?
Link
I already provided the link to him in a PM, since it seems unrelated to this thread (and to this forum ). Google is our friend.
      10-29-2014, 04:04 PM   #46
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVM View Post
i repeat

With ignition on (but no motor start):
Hold left button on the gear stick while doing
- put gear stick one step forwards and hold 2 seconds,
- then one step back again
- then one step forwards again
Then the car is in neutral for 15 minutes
This will not work, I have tried it. This procedure is only when you crank the engine but it does not start.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 12:45 PM   #47
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

So what works, seems also procedures here are a dud?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 01:33 PM   #48
Pitiful Old Man
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

If "towing" is required, a flatbed truck is the only way to go. Wheel dollies are available in lieu of shifting to neutral. This approach and other equipment may be required if the vehicle has suffered heavy damage. There are competent tow operators with the know-how and, then again, there are others who don't have a clue or the correct equipment.

The tow company sent by BMW when our X3 experienced "system failure" knew exactly what was required for a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 01:59 PM   #49
mspringer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i M-Sport/DHP

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Flat bedding is all well and good but if the car breaks down on the road law enforcement will usually want the car pushed to the side to free up traffic. Perhaps the electric parking brake will partially protect the transmission, perhaps not. In my mind designing a transmission which can't be easily put into neutral without power is poor engineering. And this is not a BMW specific issue since I believe this is a problem with all cars equipped with a ZF 8-speed transmission.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 01:02 PM   #50
Pitiful Old Man
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspringer View Post
Flat bedding is all well and good but if the car breaks down on the road law enforcement will usually want the car pushed to the side to free up traffic. Perhaps the electric parking brake will partially protect the transmission, perhaps not. In my mind designing a transmission which can't be easily put into neutral without power is poor engineering. And this is not a BMW specific issue since I believe this is a problem with all cars equipped with a ZF 8-speed transmission.
Good points and I agree. Maybe BMW needs a big red Neutral button like the F1 cars!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 09:56 AM   #51
nastradacha
Rep
Drives: bmw x3 f25

Towing BMW X3 in neutral

how far can I tow my x3 if I'm able to get it to neutral.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 11:01 AM   #52
TwinSnailz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5//M

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastradacha View Post
As far as you want? Because all it need is to go on a flatbed. If vehicle is unable to go in neutral, it will be dragged on to the flat bed. Some tow driver have wheel skates to alleviate some dragging. Otherwise, it will be drag with some soap and car will be wiggle/shaked off the bed.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 01:08 PM   #53
oVeRdOsE.
Major
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

Here we get a lot of car towed in winter for snow removal.
Towing wont tow BMW anymore because of this.
It was on the news this year, and people were complaining '' once again rich people got benefits over poor bla bla"". yeah, just like if people with 15k$ 2013 x3 are rich...

so the procedure is :

1- get safe
2- call road assistance
3- While waiting, order a new ZF8
4- Get you car fixed + new transmission.

And one more reason why I like 10000x better manual transmission.
Few years ago, my starter let me down, asked some coworker to push start, went to a you-pull salvage yard, rent tools, and did the job in the parking lot. Give back the old one to get the core fee back. 20$, 30 min jobx2 + 45min driving. done.

For real, hit the brake hard, get to car pull on a flat bed just like twinsnailz said.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 10:04 PM   #54
02420X3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastradacha View Post
If you can safely access the transmission, there is a set screw on the side.

"In the event of a fault affecting the powertrain, the transmission parking lock can be
unlocked mechanically and put in “Neutral” by means of a set screw/stop (adjusting
screw) that acts on the gear selector lever. In addition to the mechanical transmission
parking lock emergency release, the procedure to put the vehicle in “Neutral” can also
be done electronically via ISTA."
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 07:51 AM   #55
c0smicking94
United_States
Rep
Drives: e39 540, e60 535, e65 750li, e

Easy solution to get into neutral

For those wondering how to get their automatic bmw into neutral with a dead battery or similar situation.. I know this applies to most if not all models.

Šimply pøp öût ãñd lift the shifter panel up, look down and you'll see a little pin lever (typically painted red) push down on that and it releases the clutch so you can shift into whatever gear necessary. I'll post a pic to show this later.

It's such a simple life saver and takes less than 30 seconds. I've read and seen suggestions stating crawling under the car removing the under panel and messing around with the transmission, all while being on the side of the road or whatever situation you're in where you need to get into neutral. Hope this helps someone🥳
      02-27-2020, 08:17 AM   #56
rcsup1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0smicking94 View Post
For those wondering how to get their automatic bmw into neutral with a dead battery or similar situation.. I know this applies to most if not all models.

Šimply přp öűt ăńd lift the shifter panel up, look down and you'll see a little pin lever (typically painted red) push down on that and it releases the clutch so you can shift into whatever gear necessary. I'll post a pic to show this later.

It's such a simple life saver and takes less than 30 seconds. I've read and seen suggestions stating crawling under the car removing the under panel and messing around with the transmission, all while being on the side of the road or whatever situation you're in where you need to get into neutral. Hope this helps someone🥳
That does not exist on the F25.
2011 F25 X3 35i |M-Sport Front Bumper Conversion|Largus Full Adjustable Coilovers|FTP Charge Pipes|Gutted Catalytic Downpipe|RB Oil Cooler Thermostat Delete|25 Row Oil Cooler|Custom Built Cold Air Intake|9"AEM Cone Filter Behind Kidney Grills With Outerwear|Precision Raceworks Coils|BM3 Stage 2 E30 Tune| BM3 Upgraded 8-speed TCU Flash|395mm X5M Front Brakes
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 02:21 PM   #57
c0smicking94
United_States
Rep
Drives: e39 540, e60 535, e65 750li, e

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsup1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by c0smicking94 View Post

Šimply pøp öût ãñd lift the shifter panel up, look down and you'll see a little pin lever (typically painted red) push down on that and it releases the clutch so you can shift into whatever gear necessary. I'll post a pic to show this later.

That does not exist on the F25.
Didn't realize he was asking in regards of the f25. I know the lasts one I've had to do it to was on an e90. It's typical of autos to have some sort of release lever under the shifter. If it doesn't exist on the new ones all I can say is Leave it to the Damn nazis to get rid of it 😂
      05-08-2021, 01:38 AM   #58
antonbijl
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3, Volvo S40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVM View Post
With ignition on:
Hold left button on the gear stick while doing
- put gear stick one step forwards and hold 2 seconds,
- then one step back again
- then one step forwards again
Then the car is in neutral for 15 minutes
This procedure didn’t quite work for me, or at least is slightly incomplete. With the following adjustments it worked:
1. Brake pedal must be pressed throughout procedure
2. Unlock button on gear lever must be pressed throughout procedure
3. Drivers door must be open
4. On the first iteration moving the lever to N, it took longer than 2 seconds (about 4 seconds, but critical is to wait until you get a warning about the car rolling with accompanying noise)

Also see:
Appreciate 1
scostu1619.50