BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-15-2012, 12:08 PM   #1
BMRu4ia
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i VR

Does a Base 35i have a Higher resale value than an equipped28i?

Does a Base 35i have a higher resale value than a moderately equipped 28i?

Trying to find more "weight" to side with going to a 35i. Even with fewer options.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 12:12 PM   #2
trackpilot
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

People like options. So i would say you'd have a more difficult time selling a base 35i than a loaded 28i.
I found a nice used '11 base 35i for sale at a good price last year but passed because it had zero options.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 12:18 PM   #3
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Agree with trackpilot. Especially with BMW (because of the price) it's an options game. If you have more options, the average consumer would be more interested.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 12:40 PM   #4
Fryguy29
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackpilot View Post
People like options. So i would say you'd have a more difficult time selling a base 35i than a loaded 28i.
I found a nice used '11 base 35i for sale at a good price last year but passed because it had zero options.
I agree. You might be able to convince someone to buy a base M5 or a 3 series based on engine alone, but for a car like an X3 people want options and creature comforts, especially for the price of this car.

That being said, i think you would even have a harder time selling a loaded 35i than a loaded 28i. It's the price thing again. I think people will be interested in getting into the car cheaply if they are buying it used. I could be reading this wrong, though.

Does anyone have any insight or experience with this?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 01:55 PM   #5
BMRu4ia
Private First Class
Rep

Good Points Fellas...
Just don't want buyers remorse thinking I should have gotten the bigger faster engine.
I owned a 325i and after awhile I wished I had gotten the 330i for more power.
Then I got a Mini Cooper and again after a year a wish I got the Cooper S Turbo instead.

Is the 35i THAT much more fun to drive?

I'm basing it on zero to 60 times on paper specs. That 1 second faster seems mighty fun.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #6
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

The difference in acceleration is down to 0.8sec between the n20 and N55. That said the N55 torque is really what enhances day to day driving enjoyment.

If I was given the choice of a loaded 28i or a 'bare bones' 35i I'd definitely go with the 28i no questions asked!

Last edited by lbjgh; 06-15-2012 at 02:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 02:55 PM   #7
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

Yeah, I think it would actually be easier to sell a loaded 28i for economy reasons.

If it were between a loaded 28i and a base 35i I would also get the 28i instead. The 4cyl has nice power for this SUV, much more impressive than I was expecting.

I've done the same thing in the past though, I had a 540i and wished I got the M5. I had a Mazda 3, and wished I got the Speed3. I decided this time I wouldn't make the same mistake, and made it work to get a 35i with the options I wanted. Realistically the difference is only a couple thousand dollars, and it's not something you can just change later down the road - it's 2-3k now or never. Just some stuff to think about.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 03:03 PM   #8
lukeeesteve
Private
Rep
Drives: A hertz rental car

I'm from the other camp. I'm probably in the minority camp but I'll pay more for a decontented 35i over a better equipped 28i. My wife is in the same camp.

I made the same 'mistake' on an e46 (going for the smaller engine). Since then, I have always opted for the bigger engine.

Edit: and since then, the e90 and f25 I have ordered have been relatively decontented but with the bigger engine.
      06-15-2012, 03:53 PM   #9
BMRu4ia
Private First Class
Rep

Here's what I'm comparing :

28i:
Corona Eyes w adaptive - (Gotta have the Angel Eyes)
Parking Distance Control - (Can't have my wife nick the bumper)
Premium Package - ( just getting this package 'cuz my wife likes the wood trim)

35i:
Nothing but the parking Distance Control.

So which should you/I pick
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 04:17 PM   #10
Fryguy29
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRu4ia View Post
Here's what I'm comparing :

28i:
Corona Eyes w adaptive - (Gotta have the Angel Eyes)
Parking Distance Control - (Can't have my wife nick the bumper)
Premium Package - ( just getting this package 'cuz my wife likes the wood trim)

35i:
Nothing but the parking Distance Control.

So which should you/I pick
So basically you are trading the more powerful engine for leather seats. (you would also give up auto mirrors, storage package ambient light and the garage door opener. These are nice, but no one has ever said they are a must have item). The 35 comes with the moonroof and Xenons standard.

So which is more important to you?

I personally told myself I would not buy a car this expensive without leather seats. You might not feel that way. But ask yourself. This is a luxury car and the 28i has a great engine. Wouldn't you want your vehicle to have all the nice touches of a luxury car?

This would be a different story if the N20 engine was a dog, but it's not.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 04:29 PM   #11
BMRu4ia
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy29 View Post
So which is more important to you?

I personally told myself I would not buy a car this expensive without leather seats. You might not feel that way. But ask yourself. This is a luxury car and the 28i has a great engine. Wouldn't you want your vehicle to have all the nice touches of a luxury car?

This would be a different story if the N20 engine was a dog, but it's not.
How bad are the "leatherette" seats in the x3? I didn't give leather seats a second thought, because the fake ones look pretty darn good in the showroom. But, I guess I may feel differently about it as they start to break in and wear.

Do you think the Novelty of the 35i power will fade after a few months of ownership, knowing all the usable 300 HP can not be used most of the time. And, the amenities of the premium package will be more appreciated because we see and touch it every time we get into the X3?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 04:40 PM   #12
Fryguy29
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRu4ia View Post
How bad are the "leatherette" seats in the x3? I didn't give leather seats a second thought, because the fake ones look pretty darn good in the showroom. But, I guess I may feel differently about it as they start to break in and wear.

Do you think the Novelty of the 35i power will fade after a few months of ownership, knowing all the usable 300 HP can not be used most of the time. And, the amenities of the premium package will be more appreciated because we see and touch it every time we get into the X3?
I have never encountered the leatherette. I actually think some people prefer it. I would have to defer to others to describe it. I've only had my car six months or so. I love the 35i, But I only get to open it up occasionally. I like the fit and finish of the car better. I personally like getting in my car and it being "nice". But I realize I am being somewhat superficial.

Basically, I cant tell you what to do, this is really personal, but I will give you this advice:

Get what your wife wants
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 04:58 PM   #13
lukeeesteve
Private
Rep

My last 2 BMWs were leatherette. Prior one leather. 99% of people can't tell the difference. Leatherette (at least the way I treat both) wears better over time. But that said, I think that leatherette is hotter on a summer's day. Perhaps because it doesn't breathe.
      06-15-2012, 05:10 PM   #14
BMRu4ia
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Basically, I cant tell you what to do, this is really personal, but I will give you this advice:

Get what your wife wants
Spoken like a true HUSBAND"
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 05:27 PM   #15
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

I purchased my X3 as follows: 35i, mSport, Dynamic Comfort, Navigation, Premium.

Leather is not included in the premium package in Canada. Also the pano roof is not included on the 35i in Canada but the roof is included in the premium package.

Leather was another $2K and I honestly couldn't see the value in leather over vinyl. Leather is less durable and with a couple of kids I figured it would be ruined in no time. If the Leather was perforated and ventilated BMW might have got me to bite on the leather option.

I don't think it's obvious that the seats are vinyl but they do smell more like plastic than cows.

p.s. listen to fryguy... get what your wife wants.

Quote:
I have never encountered the leatherette. I actually think some people prefer them. I would have to defer to others to describe them.

Get what your wife wants
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 08:03 AM   #16
daninny
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Cayman S

All things being the same (which they're not), I think leather for most people could be a factor. If you're looking to resell the car down the line and some random person sees an ad for a car (especially a luxury car), and they see leather seats, the average person will likely be more interested. If they see leatherette seats, on first glance, they may just pass on the car, sight unseen. However, I don't think the opposite would hold true. Just my 2¢.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 10:36 AM   #17
lukeeesteve
Private
Rep

When it comes time, Do you trade your cars in or sell them in the open market?
      06-17-2012, 10:43 AM   #18
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daninny View Post
All things being the same (which they're not), I think leather for most people could be a factor. If you're looking to resell the car down the line and some random person sees an ad for a car (especially a luxury car), and they see leather seats, the average person will likely be more interested. If they see leatherette seats, on first glance, they may just pass on the car, sight unseen. However, I don't think the opposite would hold true. Just my 2¢.
Point taken, I wouldn't consider the X3 a luxury car though... Merc or Lexus comes to mind when I think luxury... BMW sport/performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeeesteve View Post
When it comes time, Do you trade your cars in or sell them in the open market?
I keep my cars for 8-10 years and sell privately. My last car I got 20% of the original purchase price after 8yrs and 220,000km.