BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-14-2024, 07:03 PM   #1
micco
Rep
Drives: X3 f25

2013 x28i - oil leak from butterfly valve?

Hi All,

We just picked up a new to us 2013 x28i and immediately joined the forum.
We've never owned a BMW prior to this one, so i'm hoping i don't regret it

Everything is going alright, we did have the valvetronic servo motor and timing chain replaced. However, found something odd which my search came up empty on.
There is a valve/controller above the muffler that appears to be a butterfly valve. No idea if that's what it is, or why it would be on a 4cyl SUV lol; either way it was dripping oil from it.
At a glace it looks to be working from a vacuum, so i'm puzzled on where the oil would be brought in from.

Any thoughts or insight would be appreciated.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 11:33 AM   #2
lidation
Rep
Drives: '13 X3 F25 w/ N20 engine

My guess is that your vacuum pump seal is broken. When that happens, the engine oil will come out of the vacuum pump seal and fill the vacuum lines. To confirm this, take out your engine cover and see if your vacuum reservoir is dripping oil.

The fix is to change the vacuum pump, which is located right behind the engine. tight space but it can be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micco View Post
Hi All,

We just picked up a new to us 2013 x28i and immediately joined the forum.
We've never owned a BMW prior to this one, so i'm hoping i don't regret it

Everything is going alright, we did have the valvetronic servo motor and timing chain replaced. However, found something odd which my search came up empty on.
There is a valve/controller above the muffler that appears to be a butterfly valve. No idea if that's what it is, or why it would be on a 4cyl SUV lol; either way it was dripping oil from it.
At a glace it looks to be working from a vacuum, so i'm puzzled on where the oil would be brought in from.

Any thoughts or insight would be appreciated.

Thank you!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 09:11 PM   #3
micco
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lidation View Post
My guess is that your vacuum pump seal is broken. When that happens, the engine oil will come out of the vacuum pump seal and fill the vacuum lines. To confirm this, take out your engine cover and see if your vacuum reservoir is dripping oil.

The fix is to change the vacuum pump, which is located right behind the engine. tight space but it can be done.
Thanks for this, I'll take a look over the next week or so - just got back from vacation.
I did also notice some oil from the passenger side vacuum lines off the engine cover, so suspect you are correct in you diagnosis.

It did also just have the timing chain kit and valvetronic servo motor done, so i'm not sure if that had a factor in this as well. I will also mention this to the shop.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 06:34 PM   #4
micco
Rep

Discussed with the shop and during the timing chain swap they mentioned the vacuum pump seal is one of the items they replace...of course i cannot validate that it was done.
I did take the cover off and oil did come out, it did look pretty dark and thick so it may be old. I cleaned the lines i can get at (from pump to cover, cover to boost controller) and cover resovior.
I would like to take the exhuast butterfly off and give that a clean as well, but looking for a disassembly guide if possible. I couldn't find anything on the site - anyone have a reference?

cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 04:57 AM   #5
AshleyCarrillo
Registered
Rep
Drives: x28i

I'm replying to the updates. I wanted to know more about them. Yesterday, my younger brother asked me to do his help with the work because he was not well, and when I tried to do it, I was not satisfied with the quality of the assignment, so I took help from this website called https://domypaper.com/ domypaper, which is a writing service provider, and then I went there, and the work they did in return was masterful; I must say they are good. You can check them out on their website.

Last edited by AshleyCarrillo; 04-21-2024 at 04:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 06:40 PM   #6
micco
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyCarrillo View Post
Replying for the updates.
Took it back to the shop as it looked like i had a leak from the tranmission.
They found it was the vacuum pump seal and it was slowly running down the back side and along the transimission.

looking at the schematics of the vacuum pump, its likely the internal seal that may be leaking and under heavy vacuum its sucking in engine oil.
I checked the reservoir tank and nothing coming out after my cleaning.
Its warming up so i'll look at taking the exhuast butterfly valve apart and give it a good clean as well.

When/if the vacuum pump seal really goes it will suck in alot of oil and fill up the system - ie: you'll get a engine malfunction code for the turbo booster controller/selenoid, wierd stuff
So i'll continue to monitor things.

cheers
Appreciate 0