BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-14-2018, 01:45 AM   #1
b-merf30
Rep
Drives: Black on black 328i

Considering buying

Hello all,

I'm new to the site so excuse if I break protocol. My wife is in the market for a car and is considering an X3. Anybody have input on this car. Would you suggest a different model? Any info you have for me is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 12:11 PM   #2
Cpt.K
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91, E82, F80, F85, F87

Hello and welcome!
We were in the same boat a few years ago and ended up with 35i m-sport package. Test drove a few of these and personally hate the light steering base models get, so the little extra for the m-sport package was worth it. Reliability wise not too bad and many things you can do yourself. In the past 3 years, other than routine maintenance, had replace the charge pipe and that's about it (2011 with 45k miles). Good luck with the search!
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2018, 06:25 PM   #3
rota92
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 x40i M Package

Get her liking the CX-5 and pocket a bunch of extra money up front, and while maintaining it.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 01:10 PM   #4
marc x
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by rota92 View Post
Get her liking the CX-5 and pocket a bunch of extra money up front, and while maintaining it.
What is that supposed to mean? My 2012 X3 n52 has been pretty solid. Only a few repairs, windshield, oil filter housing, coolant reservoir, brakes, tires, battery, MAP sensor, transfer case oil and spark plugs. Normal cars need to be maintained. These premium cars have hundreds of sensors to let you know how what the car needs, and can be accessed with available software and cables from ebay.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 06:05 PM   #5
luvmybmmr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-merf30 View Post
Hello all,

I'm new to the site so excuse if I break protocol. My wife is in the market for a car and is considering an X3. Anybody have input on this car. Would you suggest a different model? Any info you have for me is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sent you a PM
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 04:57 PM   #6
b-merf30
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.K View Post
Hello and welcome!
We were in the same boat a few years ago and ended up with 35i m-sport package. Test drove a few of these and personally hate the light steering base models get, so the little extra for the m-sport package was worth it. Reliability wise not too bad and many things you can do yourself. In the past 3 years, other than routine maintenance, had replace the charge pipe and that's about it (2011 with 45k miles). Good luck with the search!
When we test drove the base models she didn't mention being bothered by the steering. But I will definitely have to check the sport model next time I buy one for myself.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 05:01 PM   #7
b-merf30
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rota92 View Post
We tend to stick to European cars. and honestly if we were to go for something for less money and cheaper maintenance, we would probably go for Lexus
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 05:03 PM   #8
b-merf30
Rep

You guys think it worth getting the more expensive entertainment package with all the amenities. She really just needs bluetooth, a backup camera and navigation. But I don't think the most basic package has those. Would it be cheaper to get the base model and just use after market stuff for those ?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 05:12 PM   #9
BMWKruss
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
You guys think it worth getting the more expensive entertainment package with all the amenities. She really just needs bluetooth, a backup camera and navigation. But I don't think the most basic package has those. Would it be cheaper to get the base model and just use after market stuff for those ?
I would go for the cheaper one and just use aftermarket equipment for what you're missing. I got this bmw x3 backup camera from Bam Auto safety and it works great and looks just like the original. Even the camera is a part of the handle. I was able to use it to add navigation to my factory screen too. It's definitely saves a good amount. Especially if you install it yourself. That can save you a pretty penny too.

Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 08:24 AM   #10
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
the amenities are nice to have integrated into the system, if nothing else, the bluetooth phone is great that you dont have to worry which audio source you are on and the phone will override, unlike the aftermarket bluetooth adapters. I can go either way with the nav unit as the traffic information is what I care about most and its not always accurate, but in my area none of the aps are either.

How much of a price difference are you seeing for X3s with and without these?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 12:57 PM   #11
Cpt.K
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91, E82, F80, F85, F87

Quote:
When we test drove the base models she didn't mention being bothered by the steering. But I will definitely have to check the sport model next time I buy one for myself.
I think it's the current state of BMW. Most cars are going to electronic assisted steering which to me is very "light" and somewhat disconnected feel. But I guess it comes down to driving style and personal preference.

Sound like you guys are joining the cult here shortly? Any luck finding one you liked?
Appreciate 0