BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-16-2015, 03:26 PM   #1
Amber
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 Sport 19" rims

Fine lines in clear coat

Is it possible to remove all those fine lines in the clear coat by giving the X35 a good wax job or would a professional detailer be a better choice.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2015, 04:57 PM   #2
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

Polishing fine lines out requires a bit more than just a good polish. It is possible to do yourself, but unless you are confident in using the more abrasive compounds, it is best left to a professional detailer.

I have a Maguiars dual action polisher and a range of Maguiars compounds and I have had some great results. There are tutorials on you tube to give you an idea of what is involved.

Ian
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 11:27 AM   #3
Amber
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 Sport 19" rims

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianfp View Post
Polishing fine lines out requires a bit more than just a good polish. It is possible to do yourself, but unless you are confident in using the more abrasive compounds, it is best left to a professional detailer.

I have a Maguiars dual action polisher and a range of Maguiars compounds and I have had some great results. There are tutorials on you tube to give you an idea of what is involved.

Ian
Thanks Ian I will take your advice.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 03:16 PM   #4
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G26 420d MSport Pro

I guess it depends how fine the lines are.

My melbourne red X3 was showing swirlies on the bonnet (hood?) after only a couple of months. I stopped using a fairly low end wash n wax and went out and bought some good stuff.

For a quick clean I used Meguires Ultimate Wash & Wax and I was stunned at the result. I followed the guidance around using a good wash mitt and using two buckets and can't believe how good it looks. No visible lines and a really deep glossy appearance.

Looks like the separate Meguires Nxt Wash and Tech Wax 2.0 that I bought at the same time won't be getting any use soon.
      05-26-2015, 03:20 AM   #5
MartinHattingh
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 XDrive 2.0i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffLittleUnit View Post

My melbourne red X3 was showing swirlies on the bonnet (hood?) after only a couple of months. I stopped using a fairly low end wash n wax and went out and bought some good stuff.

For a quick clean I used Meguires Ultimate Wash & Wax and I was stunned at the result. I followed the guidance around using a good wash mitt and using two buckets and can't believe how good it looks. No visible lines and a really deep glossy appearance.

Looks like the separate Meguires Nxt Wash and Tech Wax 2.0 that I bought at the same time won't be getting any use soon.
Yup, Ultimate Wash & Wax is really good stuff, I use it every time. As a bonus the banana-like fragrance is really good too!

Pro tip: Even though it leaves a good wax layer for an all-in-one, it's still worth topping up from time to time. I use Ultimate Quikwax to spruce it up once a month, the stuff is super easy to apply and wipe off (spray on, immediately buff off) and leaves as close to a proper wax finish as you'll get spending 15min doing the entire story.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 04:55 AM   #6
Andy_o
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 20d Xline Melbourne Red

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffLittleUnit

Good tips there

Gone :X1 23d Msport manual, Space/Beige Pro Nav, Adaptive zenons, privacy glass, 18's, ext storage,

Current: X3 20d Xline auto, Melbourne/Beige, Sport seats, Viz pack, heated steering wheel, Folding mirrors, privacy glass, luggage net, pro nav

Current: E85 Z4 3.0si roadster titanium/Syrah individual

Current: F31 320d touring black/black work hack
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 01:31 PM   #7
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G26 420d MSport Pro

3 for 2 at Halfords right now. Normally wouldn't go near the place but that's a reasonable offer for a tight Yorkshireman like me.
      05-26-2015, 03:47 PM   #8
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Auto Glym from Halfords too is good. Polish - Sealer - Aqua Wax. It's all really easy to apply.