BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-26-2011, 06:55 PM   #1
jbinbi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 35i

just got my new x3, a few questions

First, thanks to all who have posted and answered questions. it has been a great help in deciding options etc.

got the 35i, prem, tech, cold weather, xm.

from simple to more complex

1. on my nav map, how do i get it to show the current street? My previous nav systems on my hondas showed the current street on the bottom of the screen.

2. can i change the voice volume of my nav different from speaker volume for music. again, on my old honda, i could change the nav voice so it was very low to very loud independent of music etc.

3. traffic. can this display like google maps, with lines showing where there is traffic, or do i have to actively look at traffic information in words rather than visuals?

4. was able to pair my android droid 3 running gingerbread (contacts are supported according to bmw webiste). My phone syncs with exchange server. My contacts on my computer is broken into lots of sub directories, most are just email addresses. I have about 200 main contacts with email and phone, but in my 'reply' book, i have about 1500 addresses i replied to.

After I connected my phone, the contacts imported, and what I got was just a huge list of mostly phone numbers. No names, just a huge list of phone numbers. Many international numbers as well.

It looks like every phone number I have ever called. (I also keep my entire phone log on my phone). There are the names mixed in, but I can't figure out what list the car is taking from, or how I can somehow limit this.

Ideally, I would like to see the names of my 200 contacts with their phone numbers.

Thanks.

Last edited by jbinbi; 12-26-2011 at 06:58 PM.. Reason: thought of more stuff, doh!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 07:44 PM   #2
TigerFan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
First, thanks to all who have posted and answered questions. it has been a great help in deciding options etc.

got the 35i, prem, tech, cold weather, xm.

from simple to more complex

1. on my nav map, how do i get it to show the current street? My previous nav systems on my hondas showed the current street on the bottom of the screen.

2. can i change the voice volume of my nav different from speaker volume for music. again, on my old honda, i could change the nav voice so it was very low to very loud independent of music etc.

3. traffic. can this display like google maps, with lines showing where there is traffic, or do i have to actively look at traffic information in words rather than visuals?

4. was able to pair my android droid 3 running gingerbread (contacts are supported according to bmw webiste). My phone syncs with exchange server. My contacts on my computer is broken into lots of sub directories, most are just email addresses. I have about 200 main contacts with email and phone, but in my 'reply' book, i have about 1500 addresses i replied to.

After I connected my phone, the contacts imported, and what I got was just a huge list of mostly phone numbers. No names, just a huge list of phone numbers. Many international numbers as well.

It looks like every phone number I have ever called. (I also keep my entire phone log on my phone). There are the names mixed in, but I can't figure out what list the car is taking from, or how I can somehow limit this.

Ideally, I would like to see the names of my 200 contacts with their phone numbers.

Thanks.
I'll take as stab at answering 1-3. I have an iPhone and have not encountered the issues you describe in 4. Hope this helps:

1. There's likely more than one way to do this, but what I have found works is to use the split-screen mode, and select the option that gives you the information you want [I cannot recall the exact menu choices off hand]. This is really helpful when the navi is active as you can get supplementary graphics, such as when exiting interstates (much like on the honda navi); and graphics for turns and distance to your next turn as it approaches (less than 1000 ft).

2. Navi voice volume can be adjusted *but only while she is speaking* with the volume knob or steering wheel buttons

3. I find that seeing the traffic on the BMW takes time and practice. Not as elegant as Google maps; however, I have found it most useful when the navi is actively guiding somewhere, as it highlights the specific traffic issues on your intended path (and you can 1-ignore, 2-change your route manually or 3-ask the navi to do it for you).

If no destination programmed in, it simply shows *all* traffic and in a city like Philly that's pretty much the entire map filled with icons and slow traffic arrows >>>>>>>

One thing I really wish the navi would do is automatically adjust the scale of the map for a given speed. Garmin does this very well, showing less detail at higher speeds, and zooming in to street-level detail as your speed slows. My Garmin only did this when not programed with a destination, but it allowed for slick on-the-fly navigation, with information "just in time" and no need to suddenly adjust map scale... If anyone knows if this feature is hidden in there somewhere, please let me know!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 11:19 PM   #3
jbinbi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 35i

thanks. anyone know anything about the issue with the contacts?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 05:47 AM   #4
Ben Lee
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 528i and BMW X3

Mine sync with my HTC android pone but only import the contacts from my phone SIM card.Which is not much of an issue for me since I only use the bluetooth function to answer incoming calls.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 03:08 AM   #5
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerFan View Post
One thing I really wish the navi would do is automatically adjust the scale of the map for a given speed. Garmin does this very well, showing less detail at higher speeds, and zooming in to street-level detail as your speed slows. My Garmin only did this when not programed with a destination, but it allowed for slick on-the-fly navigation, with information "just in time" and no need to suddenly adjust map scale...
+1 I'd like this feature too if anyone from BMW is listening

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0