BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-16-2012, 11:38 AM   #1
GenX3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Tire-rade

I guess I didn't really think through the RFT scenario in my head. I just figured things would be roughly similar to non-RFT when the situation presented itself...

Mind you, it wouldn't have swayed my decision to purchase... It's just a little surprising.

I have about 8K on my tires. Got a nail. This would normally be a $0 to $8 fix... With these RFT... no sir... it's a new tire at the tune of $400 (~$365)! Had I had, say, 15k miles... it would have been at least two new tires!

So I'm running through the scenario in my mind... If I drive away and hit another nail... $400.

To make matters worse. No one seems to know anything about Goodyear, Eagle LS2 RFT (19")... Goodyear hasn't called me back, Discount Tire can't order them... I had to get it from the dealer and wait for it a couple days. It's not like you can get a different tread or brand and just toss it on there!!

I ordered the tire, however, I'm going to throw on non-RFTs when these run down.

I saw under the car that they had footers for a jack. I have a 528i... Does anyone know if the jack for that car would lift high enough? I'm hoping there are only a few standard BMW jack sizes and that the one jack would lift most cars...

Also, good idea to get a little compressor? Or is slime (because of it's size) a better option? Just curious of what others have thrown together!

Packages | M-Sport | Cold I & II | Tech | Premium | Sound | BMW Apps, HUD, Net
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 12:32 PM   #2
jt2
Annoyance
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

I pulled my LS2s off at under 2k miles and replaced them with real tires. Too bad you're not in the Bay Area, or I'd sell you all four for less than you're having to pay for one replacement.

Edit: BTW, tirerack.com has the LS2 in stock for $325

Last edited by jt2; 03-16-2012 at 12:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 12:40 PM   #3
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

Big question is, where did the nail puncture the tire? If it was in the tread area you can certainly patch this yourself with any tire plug kit for very minimal cost. If it was the dealer that told you they couldn't patch then you got taken for a ride. Of course they will tell you to buy a new tire as there is a tremendous mark up on new rubber. Any local shop should plug it for you and you should feel confident the plug will probably outlast the tire.

If the damage was in the sidewall then yes, it needs to be replaced but this is the same for tire, RFT or not.

I keep a similar kit in the wife's X3 for this very scenario:

http://www.amazon.com/Slime-1034-A-T...uct/B000ET525K
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #4
GenX3
Private First Class
Rep

Right on the edge...

The nail was right on the edge. I took it down to Discount Tire since they would repair with a plug if they could. When they saw where the nail was, they said they couldn't repair it.

I'd like to see someone repairing a tire using the kit. I should keep my tire and use it for practice...

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 02:18 PM   #5
colson79
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i DSB

A lot of people that have switch keep this kit. http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/...tinental&ID=38
      03-16-2012, 02:52 PM   #6
GenX3
Private First Class
Rep

Nice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by colson79 View Post
A lot of people that have switch keep this kit. http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/...tinental&ID=38
That's pretty cool. So it comes with replaceable canisters of sealant. I'm sure it probably destroys the TPMS valve stem, but that's kind of the price for not wanting to carry a spare.

I think I might be going with a spare for long trips (anything outside the city). And carry that kit, pretty much all the time... Since you can use that kit as a stand-alone compressor (most flats I've had are slow leakers)... I can just fill up, get home, throw on the spare (and not destroy the TPMS valve), and get repairs done. That's a nice option.

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 02:52 PM   #7
n55x3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenX3 View Post
The nail was right on the edge. I took it down to Discount Tire since they would repair with a plug if they could. When they saw where the nail was, they said they couldn't repair it.

I'd like to see someone repairing a tire using the kit. I should keep my tire and use it for practice...
That's fair. When the puncture is right on the edge of the tire it can be a risky plug. Sucks you had to replace one so soon. knowing me I'd still try to plug it unless it was a gaping hole. What's the worst that can happen? TPS Monitor will tell you if there is still a leak. Best that can happen? You save $400.

Last edited by n55x3; 03-16-2012 at 03:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 02:54 PM   #8
GenX3
Private First Class
Rep

Another question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by colson79 View Post
Where's the best place to store the unit? I know there are some compartments in the side (where the eye-hook is located)... can the compressor fit in there? or how do you secure it?

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #9
voerman
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenX3 View Post

To be fair, if the nail was in a place that could not be repaired on the your run flat tire, a non run flat tire would probably also not be repairable. So you would have to replace the tire anyway (for more than $0 to $8). That being said, run flats are indeed much more expensive and difficult to get and I am not a fan.

Lou
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 03:00 PM   #10
GenX3
Private First Class
Rep

Break the seal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55x3 View Post
Big question is, where did the nail puncture the tire? If it was in the tread area you can certainly patch this yourself with any tire plug kit for very minimal cost. If it was the dealer that told you they couldn't patch then you got taken for a ride. Of course they will tell you to buy a new tire as there is a tremendous mark up on new rubber. Any local shop should plug it for you and you should feel confident the plug will probably outlast the tire.

If the damage was in the sidewall then yes, it needs to be replaced but this is the same for tire, RFT or not.

I keep a similar kit in the wife's X3 for this very scenario:

http://www.amazon.com/Slime-1034-A-T...uct/B000ET525K
I've never done a plug repair before. Do you let out all the air, maybe even remove the stem. If you do that, is there a risk of loosing the wheel/tire seal? Do you need to balance the tire afterwards?

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 03:06 PM   #11
n55x3
Captain
Rep

No you leave the tire on the rim. It will still retain it's shape even with no air pressure inside. First you take the plug file, it's like an awe that has rough edges and slide it in and out of the hole. That roughts up the hole. Next you take a 4" piece of rubber cord and slide it through the second plug tool. Kind of like a hook on the end and you push the rubber cord into the hole. It folds in half as you push it in. The cord is soft rubber with some twine in it. It will mold itself into the hole and essentially create a plug.

no need to remove tire or valve stem. No impact to tpms. I've used this method over the years on several tires BUT have not had the chance to try it our on a RFT but the general concept should remain the same.

There's probably some videos on Youtube that can do a much better job than I in regards to explaining the process. I can't access youtube at the moment tho...
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 03:58 PM   #12
Dr Goethe
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i

Another problem

The F25 X3 requires a car jack that fits into the rectangular pockets molded into the underbody. So check your jack(s) first for the proper fit. I thought I had it all solved this winter for long ski trips (far from BMW dealers) using my Blizzak winter tires (non-RFs) by carrying a jack pad, an X3 (2010 version) BMW jack, and even the BMW flat-tire glop and compressor kit. And, I carried one OEM wheel with its summer tire in back as a spare, and for the extra weight to give the rear wheels an edge in traction. But, most BMW OEM wheels are either vehicle side-specific, front to back specific, and/or are furnished with unidirectional rotation tires. Since you cannot predict which wheel will get a flat, it is not really possible to carry a BMW wheel with its tire as a spare. I too had a nail destroy a nearly new RF tire in the first quarter of ownership. I live in a large metro area with 4 BMW dealers within a 50 mile radius. But guess what, no correct size and brand RFT in stock locally; so, I waited 2 days for a new tire. BMW's RF tire philosophy is nuts for people who really need to get places in emergencies or who need to travel far from home.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 04:37 PM   #13
Nayook
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Subaru

Inner Tubes?

Over the years I have taken Land Rovers into remote country. We carried spare inner tubes as well as spare tyres.

These were not RFT in those days but if a puncture did not damage the tyre much we would break the tyre off its bead and install an inner tube then reinflate.

I wonder if, in the case of a puncture that does not weaken the side wall and the RFT has not been driven on without air pressure, if installing an inner tube is an option when plugging is not possible?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 05:11 PM   #14
RSchneider
Private First Class
Austria
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive30d

Oh if only you could get rid of the run-flats!! Not so easy, at least in my corner of Europe. Literally no modern tire in 245/50-18 with non-runflat. In addition most of these tires are only available in absurd 100Y or 104Y load/speed - for a car that does just 140mph. And also look at the wheels with that oddball ET43! Who ever picked tire dimensions at BMW for the X3/F25 is an idiot (or a crook trying to rip off people).
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 09:06 PM   #15
GenX3
Private First Class
Rep

Here too

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchneider View Post
Oh if only you could get rid of the run-flats!! Not so easy, at least in my corner of Europe. Literally no modern tire in 245/50-18 with non-runflat. In addition most of these tires are only available in absurd 100Y or 104Y load/speed - for a car that does just 140mph. And also look at the wheels with that oddball ET43! Who ever picked tire dimensions at BMW for the X3/F25 is an idiot (or a crook trying to rip off people).
The guys down at Discount Tire said as much. A 19" rim is an unusual size. So is 17"... It just limits the options you have.

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 09:52 PM   #16
MAKE
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 20i

I have repaired 2 runflat tires myself both at home with the awl and hook type repair system with the 4" rubber/twine inserts and both repairs have lasted more than 9 months.
The first was 1" from the outer edge on the contact patch of the right front ant the second on in the middle of the contact patch on the right rear.
The repair area has to be accessible, in the case of the front, it was a matter of adjusting the work area with steering but for the rear, i had to remove the wheel
It was easy and after repair I checked for leaks around the repair with
dish washing liquid soap.
It was worth a try with the kit which cost about $5and came with 4 inserts
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 10:22 PM   #17
KF
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 30D

Garage List
Hi all

Currently investigating purchasing a roof rack. we have one extra rim fitted with a RF tyre and will carry a second tyre that is not fitted to a rim. they will both be on the roof rack while we do a lap of Australia. It is 4043 kilometres from Darwin to Perth, there are no BMW dealers in-between and those two dealers are unlikely to stock our size tyre!!

We have a hydraulic bottle jack that fits nicely in the hole in the hatch. It has 120mm of lift, we need 100mm lift to get the tyre off the ground.

We bought two identical to the original Dunlop's. So have six tyres to wear out before we decide if we then change to NRF tyres.

Don't forget that the wheelbarrow tyres used as spares in most new cars have no greater life than an airless RF!!
KF
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2012, 01:44 PM   #18
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchneider View Post
That's weird not having 245/50-18 non-RFT's available. I bought two in Bishop, Calif. that were made by Hancook (Korea). 100WS. May have been a fluke that the tire shop had them, as Bishop, while not remote, isn't surrounded by much civilization.
Took them off after 1500 miles and replaced them with Goodyear LS2's that were on originally. Those took about a week and a half to show up ... go figure.

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2012, 03:59 PM   #19
KF
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 30D

Garage List
Hi

Have a talk with your friendly Pirelli or Continental tyre dealer. Both brands make non RF tyres in our size. the freight from factory to vienna would be much less than sending a tyre half way around Australia.

Second choice buy tyres from the internet from one of your neighbouring Countries.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 11:23 AM   #20
GenX3
Private First Class
Rep

back on the road

Got the tire replaced, finally... I asked for the old tire back so I could take a look and practice repairing the tire... Lo and behold, there was actually a screw in the center of the tread in addition to the nail on the edge of the tire.

I'm going to practice using the technique N55X3 suggested. But I have a question, if the nail was close to the edge, and I plug it, and if it holds air... what's the danger?

Thanks for the input!

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 11:37 AM   #21
Horsedoc67
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 35i Z4 2011 X3 35i

If you still have those LS2's I would be interested in buying them. Let me know
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 12:15 AM   #22
GenX3
Private First Class
Rep

I didn't replace yet

I still have the LS2's on the vehicle. I figured it was cheaper to purchase the one tire (at $360) since I only had about 8K on the other three tires. I'll wear them down, then change out to non-RFTs... Or at least assess what's the best option at that time. I just think that the RFT are a more expensive investment than non-RFT... But the initial tally will have to include another rim and extra tire... jack...

I think you might want to start a separate thread called "I need GY Eagle LS2s!" then specify the millage... see what kind of hits you get!

Cheers

Appreciate 0