BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-10-2011, 02:01 AM   #1
Niva
Canada
Rep
Drives: soon to be X3

Second guessing my (now delayed) order

I have an almost optionless 35i on order but it looks like I won't be getting an August production spot which naturally has me second guessing my decision to skip the M package.

Based on cost, I need to choose between the base 35i and a 28i with M package. While nice to have, not overly interested in the style parts of the M package so decided I preferred more power. Now reading and thinking more and more about the lag issue I am thinking I will miss the Sport transmission. (I already know I will miss the sport seats and of course the 19" wheels would be nice to have.)

I am currently overseas so can't do another test-drive before finalizing.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 05:31 AM   #2
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Depends on what driving you like to do. Are you more interested in having the car and some gadgets? If so, go 28i, skip the M package unless those cosmetic bits really float your boat and add the SAP or some options if you can.

If you really did being able to get up of the line and go, charge a steep hill, or pull out of a twisty hanging on by your butt cheeks, you'll miss the 35i. The power difference is notable (but not a show stopper, it's not the 28i has a lawnmower in it!!) and the M package doesn't do anything to augment that on the 28i. If budget allows the 35i and the SAP vice the M package, that might be a nice solution.

I completely disagree with the "lagsters" on this forum. This car, while not a high end Ferrari or something like that, is a rocket. If you press the accelerator, it goes, and it goes fast. In my view, turbo lag is essentially not detectable and the symptoms noted here are the manifestations of other circumstances -- sometimes it may even be folks who were shocked by how rapidly the car would get up and go and are now gingerly feathering the throttle, sending the vehicle reverse indications, and dropping it off an acceleration curve.

If you get the SAP, you get the Sport Seats and the 19s. I very much enjoy both. Would skip the 19s before I'd lose the seats. I'd be hard pressed to get this car w/o the sport seats, but I'd go without them before going to the 28i, myself. Certainly wouldn't pass them up because I wasn't able to go the extra distance of the M package over the SAP.

Then again, there are a lot of options I'd add inside before I'd go for the M package (which I don't have; wasn't an option when I got mine, so hard to say if I would have been lured in had it been an option).

Well there, you go, some thoughts. Not surprisingly, they tend toward "buy what I got 'cause I like it", but hopefully there's enough of why to help your decision a bit . . .
      08-10-2011, 07:38 AM   #3
Niva
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
Depends on what driving you like to do. Are you more interested in having the car and some gadgets? If so, go 28i, skip the M package unless those cosmetic bits really float your boat and add the SAP or some options if you can.

If you really did being able to get up of the line and go, charge a steep hill, or pull out of a twisty hanging on by your butt cheeks, you'll miss the 35i. The power difference is notable (but not a show stopper, it's not the 28i has a lawnmower in it!!) and the M package doesn't do anything to augment that on the 28i. If budget allows the 35i and the SAP vice the M package, that might be a nice solution.

I completely disagree with the "lagsters" on this forum. This car, while not a high end Ferrari or something like that, is a rocket. If you press the accelerator, it goes, and it goes fast. In my view, turbo lag is essentially not detectable and the symptoms noted here are the manifestations of other circumstances -- sometimes it may even be folks who were shocked by how rapidly the car would get up and go and are now gingerly feathering the throttle, sending the vehicle reverse indications, and dropping it off an acceleration curve.

If you get the SAP, you get the Sport Seats and the 19s. I very much enjoy both. Would skip the 19s before I'd lose the seats. I'd be hard pressed to get this car w/o the sport seats, but I'd go without them before going to the 28i, myself. Certainly wouldn't pass them up because I wasn't able to go the extra distance of the M package over the SAP.

Then again, there are a lot of options I'd add inside before I'd go for the M package (which I don't have; wasn't an option when I got mine, so hard to say if I would have been lured in had it been an option).

Well there, you go, some thoughts. Not surprisingly, they tend toward "buy what I got 'cause I like it", but hopefully there's enough of why to help your decision a bit . . .
Good advice. Thanks.
I am in Canada so no SAP option.

We also get charged a lot more for options (and taxed) so the M package end up at almost $3300 with tax. Add that to $2K for Nevada and they start to look like very expensive seats.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 10:47 AM   #4
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
I completely disagree with the "lagsters" on this forum. This car, while not a high end Ferrari or something like that, is a rocket. If you press the accelerator, it goes, and it goes fast. In my view, turbo lag is essentially not detectable and the symptoms noted here are the manifestations of other circumstances...
As Nahoa has mentioned it's not so much turbo lag as it is other factors. Two of the major issues that people have been complaining about and misinterpreted as "turbo lag" are 1. the slight second or two the car takes before it starts moving when accelerating after a stop and 2. the occasional "lurching" effect when you accelerate from a stop. Both issues seem to only happen occasionally for most people and while I'm not sure what is the cause for problem #2 some people have said that problem #1 isn't a problem at all and that BMW makes the car perform that way in order to save fuel. In addition, BMW owners with cars other than the X3 have also experienced problem #1 so it might also apply to the 28i and not just 35i.

Even with the so-called "turbo lag" what most people don't think about when comparing the 28i to the 35i is that they only look at the HP and torque differences but don't bother to look at the rpms. On top of having more HP and torque (torque is what gets you moving) for the 35i, max torque is reached at 1300 rpm vs 2750 rpm for the 28i and holds that torque for 1000 rpm longer than the 28i. Paired with the new silky smooth 8-speed the 35i is almost always within it's torque range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa
...sometimes it may even be folks who were shocked by how rapidly the car would get up and go and are now gingerly feathering the throttle, sending the vehicle reverse indications, and dropping it off an acceleration curve.
After owning the car for 2-3 months I find myself driving in sport w/ only chassis enabled, even w/o enabling higher shifting points the car is plenty fast for the day to day.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 11:09 AM   #5
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niva View Post
I have an almost optionless 35i on order but it looks like I won't be getting an August production spot which naturally has me second guessing my decision to skip the M package.

Based on cost, I need to choose between the base 35i and a 28i with M package. While nice to have, not overly interested in the style parts of the M package so decided I preferred more power. Now reading and thinking more and more about the lag issue I am thinking I will miss the Sport transmission. (I already know I will miss the sport seats and of course the 19" wheels would be nice to have.)

I am currently overseas so can't do another test-drive before finalizing.

Thoughts?
If you are in Canada, you cannot get the MSport pkg in the 28i anyway, so why the confusion?

The sports seats are worth the price of admission alone in the 35i MSport pkg IMO. Plus you get a lot more (wheels, sharper looks(IMO), beefier steering wheel, etc).

I agree with those above who say the "so called turbo lag" is a non-issue.

Last edited by tuco44; 08-10-2011 at 11:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 11:19 AM   #6
XRP
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

if it hasent started production you can change or add options or Cancel!! i added heated seats before went into production
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 01:36 PM   #7
Niva
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post
If you are in Canada, you cannot get the MSport pkg in the 28i anyway, so why the confusion?

The sports seats are worth the price of admission alone in the 35i MSport pkg IMO. Plus you get a lot more (wheels, sharper looks(IMO), beefier steering wheel, etc).

I agree with those above who say the "so called turbo lag" is a non-issue.
Thanks had forgot about that. Decision is Down to: do I want to pay for the M package?

I like the M styling better but I am mostly indifferent and not willing to pay for it.

Cant justify paying that much for seats so will probably stick to 35i without the M.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 01:46 PM   #8
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Thanks had forgot about that. Decision is Down to: do I want to pay for the M package?

I like the M styling better but I am mostly indifferent and not willing to pay for it.

Cant justify paying that much for seats so will probably stick to 35i without the M.
That's totally up to you - for me, I waited to put my order in until April'11 production so I could get the MSport pkg. The sum of all the parts of the pkg is well worth it for me, and I love the sport seats.

Your dime, your call.
      08-10-2011, 01:57 PM   #9
BruceOmega
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sportline

Quote:
..... If you get the SAP, you get the Sport Seats and the 19s .....
FWIW, When we ordered our 35i, the Sport Activity Package did not include 19" wheels. Car had 18" wheels unles you separately opted for 19".

I believe the M sport package, though, does get you 19" wheels (different design).

Thanks
Bruce
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 07:44 PM   #10
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

My bad, the 309's were a $600 upgrade weren't they? Apologies!
      08-10-2011, 08:15 PM   #11
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
We also get charged a lot more for options (and taxed) so the M package end up at almost $3300 with tax. Add that to $2K for Nevada and they start to look like very expensive seats.
Well, if it's not in the budget you pick what's most important to you, eh?
      08-10-2011, 08:17 PM   #12
colson79
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i DSB

Quote:
My bad, the 309's were a $600 upgrade weren't they? Apologies!
For 2012 the 19" 309's are now part of the SAP package.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 08:12 AM   #13
tagz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 xDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by colson79 View Post
For 2012 the 19" 309's are now part of the SAP package.
Yeah... that is a little disappointing.. since I just got my vehicle... and I put $600 for the 309s... guess the overall config must have been cheaper than 2012..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 10:52 AM   #14
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

35i and thats an end.

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0