BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-13-2011, 02:19 PM   #1
XRP
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

took off the front Plate Bracket

i took off the plates BUT theres TWO holes left... how to hide them, has anyone done this?????
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 02:41 PM   #2
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

I put a license plate bracket and plate there . . . .

. . . sadly have to have one in VA.
      08-13-2011, 02:45 PM   #3
sard
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Three options

1) Color matched bumper plug.
2) I had a mobile guy come "spot" paint the area. He basically fills the holes, sands it down, paints it feathering into neighboring lines to help blend it, then clear coats it. Cost me like $200, but you cant even tell anything was ever done unless you micro inspect it.
3) Replace entire front bumper.

E92 M3 - DCT - 20" BBS LM-R - KW Clubsport - Akrapovic Exhaust - Powerchip Tune - Arkym Aero Kit - HID Halo
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 03:14 PM   #4
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Button head philips screws (stainless or zinc plated) painted (using BMW OEM touch-up paint) to match the bumper. Won't be noticed by anyone but you from more than 3-feet away.

However, since Texas is a (2) plate state, you're risking a $200 misdemeanor ticket if you get caught (or a $10 fee if you re-attach the plate before your court date).

Originally Posted by Texas Transportation Code § 502.404
§ 502.404. OPERATION OF VEHICLE WITHOUT LICENSE PLATE OR REGISTRATION INSIGNIA.
(a) A person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway during a registration period a passenger car or commercial motor vehicle that does not display two license plates, at the front and rear of the vehicle, that have been:
(1) assigned by the department for the period; or
(2) validated by a registration insignia issued by the department that establishes that the vehicle is registered for the period.
(b) A person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway during a registration period a passenger car or commercial motor vehicle, other than a vehicle assigned license plates for the registration period, that does not properly display the registration insignia issued by the department that establishes that the license plates have been validated for the period.
(c) A person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway during a registration period a road tractor, motorcycle, trailer, or semitrailer that does not display a license plate, attached to the rear of the vehicle, that has been:
(1) assigned by the department for the period; or
(2) validated by a registration insignia issued by the department that establishes that the vehicle is registered for the period.
(d) Subsections (a) and (b) do not apply to a dealer operating a vehicle as provided by law.
(e) An offense under this section is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed $200.
(f) A court may dismiss a charge brought under Subsection (a) if the defendant:
(1) remedies the defect before the defendant's first court appearance; and
(2) pays an administrative fee not to exceed $10.
(g) A court may dismiss a charge brought under Subsection (b) if the defendant:
(1) shows that:
(A) the passenger car or commercial motor vehicle was issued a registration insignia by the department that establishes that the vehicle was registered for the period during which the offense was committed; and
(B) the registration insignia described in Paragraph (A) was attached to the passenger car or commercial motor vehicle before the defendant's first court appearance; and
(2) pays an administrative fee not to exceed $10.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

Amended by:
Acts 2007, 80th Leg., R.S., Ch. 1027, § 1, eff. September 1, 2007.

Last edited by Lotus7; 08-13-2011 at 03:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 04:27 PM   #5
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Home Depot has black plastic screw covers with caps.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 08:49 AM   #6
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

IL has a front plate law as well but I haven't had one for the last 10 yrs and most sport cars here don't. I have never been pulled over for it either.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 10:56 AM   #7
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
IL has a front plate law as well but I haven't had one for the last 10 yrs and most sport cars here don't. I have never been pulled over for it either.
In Illinois it's a crap shoot. Don't have a front plate on the Lotus and have been stopped twice (for no front plate) since 2004 in a car that only gets 2000 street miles each year. Some IL towns and Chicago suburbs use traffic stops as a major revenue stream and will stop drivers for any infraction, no matter how small. Our local village seems to tolerate my car with no front plate, but some surrounding ones don't. However, my local village police are extremely intolerant of tinted windows and will ticket people with heavy tints routinely.

Chicago is a different story. The cops are too busy with real crime and don't bother stopping people for driving around in death-traps with no lights and [vehicle] body parts falling off. Come to think of it, that describes many of the Chicago police cars.
Appreciate 0