BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-06-2011, 09:46 AM   #1
Itchywasabi
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Sunroof visor broken upon delivery!

I took delivery of X3 last month, but when I checked the sunroof, the visor (the back part interior shade cover) is stucked open and can not be closed. After taking delivery (yes I took delivery with promise they would fix it right away) we were back to the delearship 2 times; first they tried to repair by programming (didnt work), then they said it would take 2 weeks for the defective parts to order (but when we dropped the car the 2nd time after 2 weeks wait they said they ordered the wrong parts), so they will order the "correct" parts now and that will take 2 months to order from Germany (dunno why it takes too long).

Did you guys have similar problems with your sunroof? I just dont know why defect like this could not be detected during QA inspection. Never had this QA problems before with my Hondas and Toyotas.

Now im waiting 2 months for the parts to come...
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 10:41 AM   #2
Upgrade15
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 White X1

Sorry to hear that....guess it's the same as the rear seat-heat buttons being defective and someone's mirrors being two different colors...it just happens. Hope it's resolved faster than two months. Or maybe you'll enjoy the sunshine until then!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 11:26 AM   #3
carlili4190
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Nissan 350Z, 11 BMW X3

Does anyone think it's weird that the part's are ordered from germany but the cars are produced in the US?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 11:30 AM   #4
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlili4190 View Post
Does anyone think it's weird that the part's are ordered from germany but the cars are produced in the US?
Not at all. I suspect many/most of the componants to the vehicle are produced in Europe, and some in Asia. The X3 is "assembled" in NA, but the parts are not necessarily made here.
      05-06-2011, 11:53 AM   #5
carlili4190
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Nissan 350Z, 11 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post
Not at all. I suspect many/most of the componants to the vehicle are produced in Europe, and some in Asia. The X3 is "assembled" in NA, but the parts are not necessarily made here.
Thats true.. But wouldn't one think that the factory would have "spare" parts around?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 11:56 AM   #6
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

We have to wait longer for our X3s but you have to wait longer for your parts

No problems like that with my sunroof but I did have a weird problem that went away where when you closed the ceiling part from inside, it opened again and I had to close it in small increments to get it to stay closed - like a lift door when it detects something is stuck in it. Had a play with the seal around the edges and it went away.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 12:18 PM   #7
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlili4190 View Post
Thats true.. But wouldn't one think that the factory would have "spare" parts around?
Once again, I say nope. Most mfg is done today on a "just-in-time" basis, ie. plants don't stock inventory of parts, they get it as they need it only.
      05-06-2011, 01:17 PM   #8
Alanintx
ATAP
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Midnight Blue 430xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post
Once again, I say nope. Most mfg is done today on a "just-in-time" basis, ie. plants don't stock inventory of parts, they get it as they need it only.
Agreed, especially at the onset of a new model. Most parts that are built are headed towards the manufacturing floor in SC. One of the joys of being an early adopter.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 11:01 PM   #9
mhrir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Very fast

Lack of parts availability is a reason to wait before buying a new model. I bought a MkV VW GTI when they first came out. 10 days into ownership a high schooler whacked into me. It took 7 months to get all the parts. Car was never the same and I traded it a month after I got it back before it showed up on CarFax. I feel for whoever the next owner was.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 02:11 AM   #10
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhrir View Post
Lack of parts availability is a reason to wait before buying a new model. I bought a MkV VW GTI when they first came out. 10 days into ownership a high schooler whacked into me. It took 7 months to get all the parts. Car was never the same and I traded it a month after I got it back before it showed up on CarFax. I feel for whoever the next owner was.
A bit morally dubious, I think. Actually, I think I'm correct in saying that here in the UK you would have to declare that the car had been in a shunt, if asked.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 03:48 AM   #11
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhrir View Post
That was unlucky. I owned a MkV GTI from when they first came out for 5 years and it was a fantastic experience. Some faults but never any wait for parts.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0