BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-28-2012, 02:47 PM   #45
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

I dropped my "BMW X3" personalized plates off with my CA this morning as I expect delivery in the next 7-10 days.

They had a 2013 28i as a demo so I took it out for a short drive. The car only had 30km on it so I didn't push the car too hard.

My first impression was the car accelerated very linear and smooth and there was no throttle lag that I experienced in the 2012 n52 28i.

I have to say the n52 sounded 100% better under acceleration. If I had the n52 I wouldn't have any need for a stereo... that engine sounded sweet! The n20 was almost silent inside the car and lacked the energetic sound of the 6cyl.

Sound aside the n20 pulled smoothly and strongly in normal and sport mode and was deceptively quick. At 120km/h the car was impressively smooth and quiet (no wind noise what so ever).

EcoPro mode was dreadful and neutered the car significantly. Throttle response was non-existent and I couldn't fathom why anyone would ever use the mode. Perhaps if you got the car up to freeway speed and set the cruise control you could get away with using EcoPro. Around town EcoPro gets a big

I took a bit of time and checked out the grille. It was gloss black with just enough chrome accents. simple and elegant.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 03:45 PM   #46
wouwou
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
I dropped my "BMW X3" personalized plates off with my CA this morning as I expect delivery in the next 7-10 days.

They had a 2013 28i as a demo so I took it out for a short drive. The car only had 30km on it so I didn't push the car too hard.

My first impression was the car accelerated very linear and smooth and there was no throttle lag that I experienced in the 2012 n52 28i.

I have to say the n52 sounded 100% better under acceleration. If I had the n52 I wouldn't have any need for a stereo... that engine sounded sweet! The n20 was almost silent inside the car and lacked the energetic sound of the 6cyl.

Sound aside the n20 pulled smoothly and strongly in normal and sport mode and was deceptively quick. At 120km/h the car was impressively smooth and quiet (no wind noise what so ever).

EcoPro mode was dreadful and neutered the car significantly. Throttle response was non-existent and I couldn't fathom why anyone would ever use the mode. Perhaps if you got the car up to freeway speed and set the cruise control you could get away with using EcoPro. Around town EcoPro gets a big

I took a bit of time and checked out the grille. It was gloss black with just enough chrome accents. simple and elegant.
Well since you are in Toronto, if what the speed limit decrease being proposed right now passes, the ecopro mode will be what you are going to use for the foreseeable future since anything over 40km/hr means you are speeding

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 05:27 PM   #47
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

North of Toronto my friend... no car haters where I live. ... welll I'm sure there are some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wouwou View Post
Well since you are in Toronto, if what the speed limit decrease being proposed right now passes, the ecopro mode will be what you are going to use for the foreseeable future since anything over 40km/hr means you are speeding

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 07:07 PM   #48
tanstudio
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX3OK View Post
IMHO.. i prefer the "titanium" (i wouldnt say its silver).. over the black grill. I suppose its personal taste.. I ve got the 2012 28i with titanium grill and think it goes well with the black colour.. anyone with a 2013 black.. for comparison?.. my 2 cents

Silver grille looks great on black
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 09:43 PM   #49
Desmoduece
ESA Vorderbau X3
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Quote:
EcoPro mode was dreadful and neutered the car significantly. Throttle response was non-existent and I couldn't fathom why anyone would ever use the mode. Perhaps if you got the car up to freeway speed and set the cruise control you could get away with using EcoPro. Around town EcoPro gets a big .
Why Eco pro? Since there is no direct connection with the accelerator to the engine this can be manipulated to control how fast to open the throttle. When the engine is at a low RPM and you open the throttle wide open this puts too much fuel into the engine until it starts making power and it doesn't get very good gas mileage. Thats why Hybrid cars use the electricity during acceleration and the gas engine during higher speeds.
So yes in Ecopro the throttle response is limited because the slower you accel the vehicle the better fuel economy is.
If you are a fuel economy buff this is a great idea.
My two cents! ching ching
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 09:59 PM   #50
tanstudio
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 28

Quote:

Well said, The difference between sport and eco-pro mode is way too obvious when I driving the 2013 X3 28 on high way for first time. Eco-Pro does give you slow acceleration compares to Sport mode, but it seems a good way to save fuels in local drive!
Appreciate 0