BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-22-2012, 01:23 PM   #1
dfcoelho
Enlisted Member
Portugal
Rep
Drives: '11X3(F25)2.0dA,'13 3(F30)2.0d

Anyone knows how to manage music folders?

Hi,

I have the professional navigation system and as so, around 12Gb of space for music.

My question is that everytime I copy music from a Memory Pen, I have a new folder to manage on the I-Drive. Anyone knows if there is a way to import the files to one of the folders already on the system, or to move them between the new folder created when importing the new music and the old one already on the harddrive?

Right now I have 5 major folders (USB 1, USB 2, USB 3) with several folders inside and would like to have only on major folder.

I can only find how to delete them...
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 12:47 AM   #2
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

You can export the folder from hard drive to USB drive mounted inside the glove box, edit these folders on PC and import back to HD. The restriction is that each folder can not contain more than certain files, I think 50 max.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 04:47 PM   #3
dudley07726
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3

Garage List
2013 Mercedes Benz ...  [0.00]
2012 X3  [0.00]
I've only had this thing for 3 days now. It seems that everytime you download new music, it creates a new folder, USB1, USB2, etc.
I too wanted to add something to a previously created folder but it would not let me. I took my micro USB from the glove compartment and updated on my computer but had to delete the older folder on the X3 harddrive so it was not duplicated. Info from up to 4 USB devices can be stored.
Again, I've only had this SUV for 3 days. Still learning this thing. Put my Lexus or Honda Nav in this SUV and you've got a great auto.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
dfcoelho
Enlisted Member
Portugal
Rep
Drives: '11X3(F25)2.0dA,'13 3(F30)2.0d

Thanks for the reply... I have already 6 base folders... and odly enough, as the first one had all the folders inside a main folder, it created the folder in i-drive with the name of the main folder. All the other pens I connected , with only one or two folders inside, created a USB1, USB2...

Still learning...
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 09:16 PM   #5
thrasher-b
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2012 BMW X3 28i  [0.00]
First of all, sfax created a great post about using the USB drives and managing a music database:
http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...errerid=156330

I have had my X3 for about a month and I have had the same problem. As far as I know, there is no way to combine the folders on the car's hard drive.

Like April1 says, you could try to combine them on a USB drive big enough and upload all at once. I would recommend skipping the upload altogether and using the armrest USB instead. You should be able to buy a 32GB USB drive for about $25 or many other users report success using USB hard drives with much bigger capacities. You can use a playlist creator to have more manageable access to all of your tracks.

I think the benefits of using the armrest USB are that, for one thing, you will be able to display album artwork; and second, it is easy to unplug and update your library directly on the USB device without having to delete and re-upload the whole thing when you want to add new music.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 09:45 PM   #6
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i, 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by April1 View Post
You can export the folder from hard drive to USB drive mounted inside the glove box, edit these folders on PC and import back to HD. The restriction is that each folder can not contain more than certain files, I think 50 max.
Any idea on how long it would take to export 6G of music from the hard drive to a USB device? Is there an option to stop and re-start the operation? I've been storing CD's to the HD every day on my way to work and back and want to back up the HD. And if I want to import music on top of what I have stored on my HD, will it make separate folders or just keep adding the new albums in sequence?
Appreciate 0