BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-14-2013, 07:24 AM   #1
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

iPhone 5 Snap in Adaptor

Hi All

I know there are various threads on this and other forums with lots of info, however I'd like to find the definative answer to a couple of questions from 'official' sources or from respected testing.

I have a May 2013 built F25 with 609 Pro Nav, 6NS Enhanced Bluetooth and 6NR Apps

I have purchased the snap-in (84212351308) and Im seeing nothing more than I was getting using the Apple lightening cable.

1. Are there any additional features using the snap in adaptor that I wont get using the Apple Lightening Cable ?

2. Can anyone confirm the technical details of the aerial improvemnet that the snap-in supposedly brings ?

Thanks in advance

MS
      10-15-2013, 03:12 PM   #2
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKMS View Post
Hi All

I know there are various threads on this and other forums with lots of info, however I'd like to find the definative answer to a couple of questions from 'official' sources or from respected testing.

I have a May 2013 built F25 with 609 Pro Nav, 6NS Enhanced Bluetooth and 6NR Apps

I have purchased the snap-in (84212351308) and Im seeing nothing more than I was getting using the Apple lightening cable.

1. Are there any additional features using the snap in adaptor that I wont get using the Apple Lightening Cable ?

2. Can anyone confirm the technical details of the aerial improvemnet that the snap-in supposedly brings ?

Thanks in advance

MS
Bumping this ...... ideas anyone ?
      10-15-2013, 04:57 PM   #3
nonagon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne GTS

Quote:
Bumping this ...... ideas anyone ?
Since you have BMW Apps, I believe the snap in media adapter provides an Apple UI for playing back music via the "Plugin" screen as well as video playback. I don't have the adapter so can't be certain.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 05:23 PM   #4
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

With the snapin adapter you should get the plugin music interface mentioned by Nonagon, and allegedly better signal strength. Previously you could get video, but that has been eliminated since the Lightning adapter was introduced by Apple.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 08:39 PM   #5
moonhawk
volunteer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i

I didn't realize the snap in adaptor was available for the iphone 5.

Does it have a separate connection from the USB port under the arm rest--so that you can use the adapter for your iphone and the USB port for other things?

I use the USB port with a thumb drive with music on it, and need to use the 12 volt plug with a USB adapter when I need to charge the phone. A snap in would be nice, especially if it leaves the USB port free for my music.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 02:31 PM   #6
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post
I didn't realize the snap in adaptor was available for the iphone 5.

Does it have a separate connection from the USB port under the arm rest--so that you can use the adapter for your iphone and the USB port for other things?

I use the USB port with a thumb drive with music on it, and need to use the 12 volt plug with a USB adapter when I need to charge the phone. A snap in would be nice, especially if it leaves the USB port free for my music.
Yes its separate ...... from what you describe it would be a good solution for you. For me everything is on my phone. The snap in adaptor for the iPhone 4 used to add additional features over and above the USB cable (video from the phone on to the media screen) however having now used the snap in for a few days I cannot see any difference for the iPhone 5 between the USB and snap-in. So based on a cost of UK£163 Im going to return mine and have the phone on my passenger seat with a cable !

Cheers

MS
      10-16-2013, 06:35 PM   #7
moonhawk
volunteer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i

Quote:
Yes its separate ...... from what you describe it would be a good solution for you. For me everything is on my phone. The snap in adaptor for the iPhone 4 used to add additional features over and above the USB cable (video from the phone on to the media screen) however having now used the snap in for a few days I cannot see any difference for the iPhone 5 between the USB and snap-in. So based on a cost of UK£163 Im going to return mine and have the phone on my passenger seat with a cable !

Cheers

MS
Thanks for the reply.

Was informed by my local dealer's parts dept that the adapter is not yet available for the iPhone 5 for my car. If it's available in the UK, I guess I can take that as a good sign...
Appreciate 0