BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-11-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Random music play problem

Do all X3 forget the random setting for tracks on the hard drive, requiring it to be set each day if you want this feature? Mine seems to. Anyone found a shortcut to play a random track from hard drive? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 05:03 PM   #2
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

I use a USB drive rather than the built in HDD but looking at the manual the settings look the same. So, for the USB, I make sure that all albums, artist, titles are selected and 'Random' checked. It should then play randomly and the setting retained. Works for me anyway.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 06:11 PM   #3
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

It might work differently on the HDD where everything may as well be played at random as in alphabetical song title order

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 12:35 AM   #4
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
It has to be set maually every time you switch to the music collection.
i.e. even if you select random, then flick to the radio and back again to the music collection, you have to hit random again.
I set up a programmable button (number 7) in each of my cars so that I can hit random quickly each time I start to play music off the HDD.

I have found though if you are careful with the arrangement of files on the USB stick (each album folder in the root directory) when you upload them to the HDD then you can manually select an album from its name on the USB upload directory ont he HDD and play the songs in the original album order.

If you find the album by the music search function instead - it will always play them alphabetically unless you hit the random button (which you will have conveniently set to programmable button 7 in advance)

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 01:33 AM   #5
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks Stig. Which screen do you set the button for? The one with random on it does not seem to be storeable. Also this surely must be a bug as random shoul be a sticky on / off toggle. It should also show in the display if random is active.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 03:49 AM   #6
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

I agree it's another bug and the Music Collection has a few bugs and a few deficiencies like not being able to display artwork. All reasons why I no longer use it at all and instead use a dedicated 32GB USB flash stick. The USB option has also nearly 3 times as much capacity and is solid state. Hopefully they'll fix the bugs and deficiencies in the Music Collection but I can't see it happening any time soon

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 04:03 AM   #7
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep

So is random "sticky" - ie does not need to be reset daily - if you use a USB stick? Presume no?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 04:08 AM   #8
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3buyerScotland View Post
So is random "sticky" - ie does not need to be reset daily - if you use a USB stick? Presume no?
Will check for you later but trouble and strife has the X3 for shopping at the moment

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 06:08 AM   #9
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Been trying to pin the Random thing done, too (ha!). So far, it seems for my set up that if I stay in the same playlist Random stays set across jumps to radio and back and shutting down the car. If I go to a new playlist, it seems to always start with Random deselected. Trying to figure out, though, if there's something else I'm doing that resets it. I play my music from an iPod touch connected in the armrest. I take it out every few days to update some podcasts.

Trying to get it to sync (iTunes, for the podcasts) via wi-fi from the garage while still in the armrest. Network and iTunes see it but the sync has failed so far. Stuck on that one.
      11-12-2011, 08:51 AM   #10
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

Random stays selected for my USB HDD if I switch to, say, radio and back again. As I always have it set to play random across the entire disk, problems changing playlists experienced by others don't occur.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 05:16 AM   #11
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustofa View Post
Random stays selected for my USB HDD if I switch to, say, radio and back again. As I always have it set to play random across the entire disk, problems changing playlists experienced by others don't occur.
Mine is the same. Stays "stuck" for USB or iPhone cradle, but for the internal HD it unsticks even with just a flip to radio and back. I've now programmed a button to do "Random". Though I'd prefer the setting be sticky, one nice thing about the button is if you hover vice press the display up top accurately shows whether or not Random is currently checked.

Strangely, checking Random when using the HD activates it immediately in that it goes to the next track Randomly. On the USB or iPhone it simply sets it to randomly select the next track when the current one finishes.